Possible new owner questions - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-28-2009, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Possible new owner questions

guys/gals,

I have been looking at the Versys for a year now and just got home from the dealer. They have the 2009 in green with the factory hard bags on it. WOW, what a nice bike for the money.

I currently ride a 2006 BMW K1200R. I find that I am using this thing for long distance rides more often than first thought. I love the bike but not the most comfortable bike for 12-14 hr days.

Most of my riding is done at 6000+ feet. If i go forward with purchasing the Versys i will be losing almost 100 hp.

Here's my questions:
Does the Versys have enough power to sustain hwy speeds (65-80) with my big self (250 lbs) and enough gear for a weeks vacation? Is it stable at speed? (looks so small and light) How does it handle in cross-winds? (ya know - KS and WY)

Any input about long distance riding on the Versys would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-28-2009, 02:17 PM
Super Moderator

The seat is a bit uncomfortable for longer rides. I don't think I would do 12 to 14 hour days on a Versys, or any bike for that matter, but that's me. And you're right about the cross winds on a lighter bike, you do get thrown around quite a bit. In fact, I went out to ride today, but turned back because of the winds. The weather liar said gusts up to 40 mph, but they felt more like 100 mph to me!

The power is fine for me, but I've never ridden anything like what you currently have. I'm about the same weight as you & haven't experienced a moment where I felt the Versys needed more power. Of course, I wouldn't mind having more power.

In my opinion, the Versys is a great, fun bike, but I don't think it would be a direct replacement for your BMW. It would make a great stable mate to fill in the 'shorter ride/blasting through the twisties" gap, though.

Good luck!!

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-28-2009, 08:04 PM

Hi Billj,

Agreed with what Bear on the bicycle mentioned.

For the hours you ride, maybe its better to swap your BMW K1200R to the K1200LT. Any bike with better wind protection with a shaft is preferable for long distance riding. You can have many choices there.

Have never tried this but read good reviews about it.
http://www.airhawk.co.uk/

IMHO, If you need a big capable any terrain bike, test ride the R1200gs. It has proven it's worth.

Cheers...

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-28-2009, 09:49 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Look at my thread "Phoenix to California" that I posted yesterday. First and last days were around 10 hours each, and I could've done more!
Ed
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 11:24 AM

I've had my Versys all over Colorado, two up with luggage and there was no change in the power, it ran just fine. The only thing I noticed, when I was staying in Leadville 10,000feet, that it didn't idle well for the first few minutes after the fast idle shut down.

I've done over 500miles in a day in numerous windy states with no issues. I do use an Airhawk with a sheepskin on top for my long runs. Before the V I had a Honda ST1300, which was horrible in cross winds and when passing trucks.

V will comfortably go along at 80+ two up on the freeway, regardless of altitude no problems.

Mt Evans, highest paved road in NA

Independence Pass highest paved pass in NA two up with luggage no issues.

But the bike you have now will do all that just as well, so you have two great choices.

Machog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 03:34 PM

choice of bike

Hi bill,
great question but such a difficult one to answer you present bike ( BMW ) is a top bike, But you have to ask yourself do you need such a big bike all the time and do you use it for all your biking needs. IE is it to big just to have a quick blast or run to the shops= Now with the versys you will get a bike that you can run to the shops have a blast for the day or tour any distance that takes your fancy, there is enough power and torque to cover most eventualities, as for 10 to 14 hours a day, That I cant tell you. I have rode a few times on the versys upto 10 hours but i wouldn't make a habit of it. so it all comes down to you the rider, But I really don't think you would be disappointed good luck with you final choice....
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 08:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyo View Post
But you have to ask yourself do you need such a big bike all the time and do you use it for all your biking needs
That very question is what started me looking at the Versys. I just cannot say enough about how impressed I am with the value this bike offers.

However, the weather was nice today and i got to put a few miles on the KR. Gotta keep it! Just cannot give up 11 sec quarters.

With that said, I think I am going to put serious effort into making the Versys a stable mate for the KR. I can see it being a very practical option when my ego is in check.

Machog, I live in Colorado Springs and have pictures at those places as well. Love riding this state. It's amazing what you can see in an afternoon's ride. Although, I have managed not to get to Rocky Mountain National Park yet. High on this years "to go" list.

Thanks for the input. I look forward to the day I can plant my butt on a Versys for the afternoon.

Bill
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 10:58 AM

The K1200R is a nce machine. I own a 2007 ST1300 and wouldnít trade it for a Versys for nothing. The bikes have two very different missions in my opinion and the Versys could NEVER replace the ST. I donít think you will be happy giving up the K1200 for the Versys but thatís just me. Sure you can do pretty much everything on the Versys you can do on the K1200 but you could do it on a Ninja 250 as well. That doesnít mean you are going to like it.

ST1300, Versys, SV650S
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 11:24 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by billj View Post
That very question is what started me looking at the Versys. I just cannot say enough about how impressed I am with the value this bike offers.

However, the weather was nice today and i got to put a few miles on the KR. Gotta keep it! Just cannot give up 11 sec quarters.

With that said, I think I am going to put serious effort into making the Versys a stable mate for the KR. I can see it being a very practical option when my ego is in check.

Machog, I live in Colorado Springs and have pictures at those places as well. Love riding this state. It's amazing what you can see in an afternoon's ride. Although, I have managed not to get to Rocky Mountain National Park yet. High on this years "to go" list.

Thanks for the input. I look forward to the day I can plant my butt on a Versys for the afternoon.

Bill
I can attest to the "ego" thing.....I used to ride a ZX12R. The Versys has proven to be THE bike for me, now that the ego has since long past. Power is no problem like everyones stated. I can't say enough good about this bike, and it the first that I will hopefully keep for awhile. I just don't think there are {any} others that give you as much for so little...........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode