Rode Phoenix to Carmel, CA last week - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-28-2009, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Thumbs up Rode Phoenix to Carmel, CA last week

Anyone remember an article in "Cycle World" a few months back which featured Giacomo Agostini and Phil Read riding what they said was the 'best road in the world'?
Well, it's the "Old Coach Road" that ends (or starts...) on Hwy 1 in Cayucos, California about 1/4 mile from my buddy's house.
I left here last Sunday morning and after 10 hours which included rain along Hwy 166 between I-5 and 101, arrived in Cayucos on my "V" to a sunny late afternoon. The 'super-slab' (I-10, I-215, and I-5) was mostly 80 mph boring, but the 2 laners (138, Pearblossom Hwy and 166) were GREAT , though traffic on the mostly posted 55 roads was traveling around 75 mph!
Monday morning was rain so we took the cage and visited the W. R. Hearst Castle - I would LOVE to be able to ride the 5 mile road up from where you board busses .
Tuesday dawned sunny and mild, and we suited up and travelled Hwy 1 to Carmel and back, 230 miles of SUPER twisties with the Pacific Ocean to the side (at the bottom of the cliffs!) on our 2 Versys'.
Wednesday, again, was sunny, and we suited up to explore inland along Hwys 46 and 41 (among others), visiting the memorial near where James Dean was killed 54 years ago . On one of the roads a late model 'Vette passed us early on, and then got REALLY frustrated to find a couple of Passion Red bikes right on his tail that he could NOT shake off! After several hours we ended the ride by riding the "Old Coach Road", 8 miles of grins with a VERY talented driver in a RAV4 who pulled over to let us by and then 'shadowed' us at a quite entertaining pace . Gave him a BIG thumbs up as we stopped for the lights at Hwy 1 .
Thursday morning I hit the road early and re-traced my route back to Phoenix, arriving after 9 1/2 hours on the road, a total of 1726 miles. The "V" is a SUPER way to explore back roads (NO chicken strips left on my tires), and my mileage should be around 45 to 50 once I fill up and do the math.
Cheers,
Ed
PS The pics are: Hwy 1, Hwy 1, Dean memorial, along Hwy 166.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01608.JPG (597.2 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01609.JPG (731.9 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01633.JPG (710.7 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01696.JPG (711.2 KB, 48 views)

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 02-28-2009 at 11:38 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-28-2009, 11:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Excellent road-did most of it last year-check my avatar out.

Another good one for you, or good area a bit further south are the San Bernardino Mts. I start out on Hwy 74 from Palm Desert towards San Diego. But there are 100's of miles of twisty roads, with very little traffic.

Google the area and check out all the twisty roads.

Machog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-28-2009, 01:00 PM

Lived in LA for 5 years...whenever I could I would go up Highway 1...love that road. Thanks for making us jealous.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-28-2009, 02:36 PM
Super Moderator

Nice pics! Sounds like a good trip. So were you a little sore after??

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-28-2009, 04:08 PM

There are so many great roads in SoCal, but the best is 58 west of Taft/Maricopa out to San Luis Obispo (and you can hit a little place called "Rossi's Driveway" at the west end of it).
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-28-2009, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Thumbs up

For anyone interested: I 'did the math', and my (s)miles per gallon worked out to 48.6 MPG, and that's based on GPS mileage!
And, yes, my butt was a LITTLE tender....
Ed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode