stalling-lurching-cutting out - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
stalling-lurching-cutting out

To keep this brief, for 37,000 miles the V has run without one problem, but coming home today as I went to pass some cars and gave it throttle, it accelerated but suddenly backed off the power as if I released the throttle, then it suddenly lurched forward as if I whipped the throttle back on. Now at every stop, it is doing it in first, second and third gear. I didn't go beyond those gears because near home it is all slower speeds.

I barely was able to milk the bike home. On the way home I adjusted my clutch cable to allow as much release to be sure the clutch is engaging fully but no help. If it was bad gas you'd think it wouldn't do it that much.

All my connections seem fine and riding to several places today it didn't show one problem but suddenly it is acting up and got worse quick after acting up.

I do have a Power Commander III and I wonder if that is going bad.

I'm open to suggestions. If nothing comes up, I have an extended warranty and will have it towed to the dealer. Sure hope it is not the PCIII though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 04:25 PM Thread Starter

Just talked to a friend that said he thinks it has nothing to do with the PCIII but is very likely the Throttle Position Sensor.

Anyone else have problems with that?
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 04:38 PM

Cant help ya but keep us updated. Good luck with it.

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atgatt View Post
Just talked to a friend that said he thinks it has nothing to do with the PCIII but is very likely the Throttle Position Sensor.

Anyone else have problems with that?

I got nothing, but the tps sounds likely.

Let us know.

2007 Versys Black, V35 Bags, H&B Bars, Skidmarx Hugger.Fender Ex., Avon Distanzia, Braided Lines, Hella 65W bulbs Arrow Can, DNA Air filter, GIVI tall screen (for winter), PCIII, Baldwin Saddle. **SOLD**

2011 KTM SM-T. Crash bars, E55 Top Box, Fender extender front and rear.
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 06:13 PM

Have you cleaned the air-filter in your 37000miles? Mine was in bad shape at 13000. Might we worth checking it out.

Plus while the tank was off, I would look at the plugs and throw a new set in for the hell of it.

Machog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 07:06 PM

Any water in gas for a fuel inj. bike will act that way. That would be the very first thing i would check. My BMW did that once and would lurch and then pick up and then down to barely keeping it going. Was comeing home from a long trip and had to gas at an non popular station. Turned 32 degrees and i about froze before i gave up and hit a motel for the night. Got some good gas in it in the morning and made it home and drained that tank and was fine after that. First time i had it happen and would never have thought that was the problem. Good luck and let us know. Let us know what you find.

Yamaha Secca II
1600 Classic-sold
08 Verseys
1986 Corvette

Life is not a practice run. Enjoy each and every day.
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 07:30 PM

I vote for the tps. I would pull the PCIII before you take it to the dealer.
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano View Post
Any water in gas for a fuel inj. bike will act that way. That would be the very first thing i would check. My BMW did that once and would lurch and then pick up and then down to barely keeping it going. Was comeing home from a long trip and had to gas at an non popular station. Turned 32 degrees and i about froze before i gave up and hit a motel for the night. Got some good gas in it in the morning and made it home and drained that tank and was fine after that. First time i had it happen and would never have thought that was the problem. Good luck and let us know. Let us know what you find.
+1. My bet as well. Ethanol fuels are causing grief for everyone..............
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 07:53 PM

sounds like...fuel starvation, bad gas, intermittent electrical prob, ecu prob, bad ground, clogged injector, and potato up the exhaust pipe
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 08:10 PM

Hi Atgatt,

From what you describe, it doesn't sound mechanical but like eletrical.
Maybe if you have, try refering to our V service manual Troubleshooting guide app 17-46/47.

Question: Was it raining (maybe cold) that day?

Probably the TPS (Main throttle sensor in manual) but is the idling steady so far?
Maybe the fuel injector eletrical connection is possible. Has happen to me on my BM. Some water got it and it after drying them, it was ok back.
What had been mentioned by the guys are good possibilties

Best Regards.
post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 09:07 PM Thread Starter

Machog, since I bought a service plan, all the maintenance has been done according to spec. So plugs and filter should be fine.

Deano, it was a warm sunny day today and no rain. Has not been ridden in rain for about a week. I put on about 45 miles already on this gas tank fill up so it would seem strange to suddenly kick in after riding on a few trips earlier and then all of a sudden hit. But...

Hipshot, the guy that sells the PCIII says it does have a chance of being the problem. Anyway, I trust he is honest enough.

Tomla, no potato in pipe. Like you are saying, it could be many things and I don't know the bike good enough.

Stlee29, as far as I could tell the idle seemed to remain well. I mean it went from running great as always and then, bam!!

Anyway, I'm having a tow truck pick it up to bring to the dealer in the morning. Hopefully it is the throttle sensor, they fix it fast under warranty and I ride into the sunset in the evening a happy man with his bike again.

Or it is something else and I get charged big time plus you all say, "See, I told you. "

Man, I sure appreciate the input. Thanks!
post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 01:55 PM

I have the problem, but worse

Now I had a post about this a while ago for a similar problem. Thought it might be a spark plug or coil, but no worse. Now this week I pulled up to the gate at work turned the bike off to wait for the guard to let me in and when i turned back on it it was lke cylinder number two was not firing. Like I said I thought is might be the coil. I had ordered one and had it at home, so I swapped it out. NO improvement. Did notice though that since I had all the stuff off that when I did a test start that it seemed like the cumbustion was back firing out of the intake valve and into the throttle body. Since only number two is doing this I am begining to wonder if it could be the fuel injector. What are your thoughts?

Oh, and in the air box. That little rubber tube that has a plug in the end was full of gas. Which seems odd since it is way below the fuel injector. Could the "leaking" cumbustion be blowing the fuel back into the airbox?
post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bornrider View Post
Now I had a post about this a while ago for a similar problem. Thought it might be a spark plug or coil, but no worse. Now this week I pulled up to the gate at work turned the bike off to wait for the guard to let me in and when i turned back on it it was lke cylinder number two was not firing. Like I said I thought is might be the coil. I had ordered one and had it at home, so I swapped it out. NO improvement. Did notice though that since I had all the stuff off that when I did a test start that it seemed like the cumbustion was back firing out of the intake valve and into the throttle body. Since only number two is doing this I am begining to wonder if it could be the fuel injector. What are your thoughts?

Oh, and in the air box. That little rubber tube that has a plug in the end was full of gas. Which seems odd since it is way below the fuel injector. Could the "leaking" cumbustion be blowing the fuel back into the airbox?
Sounds as though the intake valve is getting hung up, albeit slightly, or the valve face may have tuliped, indicating damage caused by detonation / pre-ignition. Do a compression check.
post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 08:45 PM Thread Starter

I wish I could post what the dealer found out but even though it was towed there Saturday, they keep saying they still haven't had the chance to look at it yet.

When it was towed there I told the dealer by phone who I was and the bike was being towed there and they said no problem. About an hour later the tow driver calls me and says they are not accepting my bike because they have written down on some card that I'm a trouble maker.

He put me on the phone with the manager and even though my blood was BOILING I said who I am and have been to there service dept many times with no problem and they have me mistaken for someone else. The manager then realized who I am and said he was sorry.

Either I have bad luck on motorcycles as soon as they start reaching somewhere in the 30,000 mile mark, or they just can't put bikes together that last. For crying out loud, this isn't rocket scientist stuff.
post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 04:14 PM

What other bikes have you owned and how many miles did you put on them?
post #16 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popeye5782 View Post
What other bikes have you owned and how many miles did you put on them?
Many years ago I had a BMW R80RT. I think I was in the 60,000 range when I had a very bad wreck with it when I hit diesel fuel that I never saw. The hwy patrol found the patch after the accident. That bike had carb problems but at least the dealer showed me what to do when they occur. The bike was only a few years old when I had the wreck.

My last bike right before the V was an '05 Bonneville I bought at the end of '05. It ran great until I reached the 30,000 range. The problem it had was it would completely lose power. It could happen when you were stopped or doing 80, it just completely went dead. Sometimes it would start up easily and sometimes it took some cranking. I tried many things to try to get rid of it and the dealer replaced several electrical parts. It left me stranded several times far from home. I can't tell you how much grief that bike caused me. Finally at almost 50,000 I traded it in for the V. That was right after the dealer replaced the ignition and said that is the last thing it could be out of the five things that got replaced one by one with me as the test rider hoping I'd live through the next time it died, but I was so paranoid riding that bike, it wasn't fun anymore.

Finally the dealer said he looked at my V today but it showed no problem. They said they still want to run diagnostics on it. If they can't find the a problem and I get it back and it does it again, f--k it. As much as I love motorcycling, I will NOT deal with an intermittent problem again that puts my life at risk. I'll concede that bikes are not engineered for serious riding but just for local fun and those who do occasional road trips.

I really hate cars and they about make me ill for trips over 50 miles, but at least they work.
post #17 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 10:40 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Check your coil over plugs for outer case splitting. How are your spark plugs? Some have also had problems from wires grounding out up near the steering head...
post #18 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 11:06 PM

Sorry to hear bout your problems...Nothing sucks worse than the intermittent voodoo...And you know what the dealers idea of diagnostic check is...Taking your ride to lunch then back to the wall slot Keep us posted

If I new what I was doing, I wouldn't still be working
post #19 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 04:10 AM Thread Starter

invader, I'll bring that up to the dealer what you said about the coils. This reminds me of when I had the Bonneville how I'd relay what the forum said to the dealer mechanic to be sure it was checked as a possible cause.

contractor, thanks for the laugh about "the real dealer diagnostic". That was good.
post #20 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atgatt View Post
invader, I'll bring that up to the dealer what you said about the coils. This reminds me of when I had the Bonneville how I'd relay what the forum said to the dealer mechanic to be sure it was checked as a possible cause.

contractor, thanks for the laugh about "the real dealer diagnostic". That was good.
Based on your comments this is probably NOT the issue, but I'd be curious to know if they did a leakdown / compression check? That is one of the first issues to eliminate.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in