Build a trailer hitch - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2009, 12:59 PM Thread Starter

Build a trailer hitch

I am wanting to build a hitch for my versys. Any ideas or pictures out there?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2009, 05:45 PM

i had this idea to about 3 years ago with my old bike found a old trailer and restored it and it is olmost done but since a few months i own a versys and i'm not sure the bike will pull it and stop it i've atached a pic of a simular one as i don't have a pic of mine just to give an idea what it looks like it cost me 175 to buy and 220 for parts an powdercoat
Attached Images
File Type: jpg freebird.jpg (33.6 KB, 579 views)
Old 02-27-2009, 06:17 PM

Just my opinion, but dragging something behind a motorcycle, and a Versys in particular, just takes away from the fundamental concept of riding a motorcycle. If I have that much junk to take with me it's time to de-clutter. Maybe it's okay for some Harley dude and his mama who feel a need to take the kitchen sink and microwave with them but, to me, a motorcycle represents freedom and you can't be free dragging something behind you. I'd rather take my car. Burdening a Versys with a trailer is pure sacrilege.

Just my opinion though...

Last edited by charly; 02-27-2009 at 06:29 PM.

Old 02-27-2009, 07:05 PM

+1 for me.

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor
Old 02-27-2009, 08:41 PM

Hitch ideas?

A quick Google search yielded these pages of inspiration.

http://www.dauntlessmotors.com/hitch...uzukihitch.htm

http://gjroberts.smugmug.com/gallery/1542239#P-4-12

http://www.trailtail.com/main.html

When you figure out what you're doing... let the rest of us know. I have an N-Line trailer that I could see dragging around behind me later this summer.

Bo Roop
2001 Kawasaki Concours
1986 Honda Fat Cat

2008-9 Kawasaki Versys?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-28-2009, 04:39 AM

That Trailtail is the bomb. I love it.

I'm not normally a trailer fan, but I could see myself heading off for a weekend with that behind me.

The pic on the specs page where he's jumping it over a log is very impressive. So is the terrain he's taking it through on the main video. Pity he didn't use the original version of the backing track.

Last edited by Doctor Shifty; 02-28-2009 at 04:44 AM.
Old 03-01-2009, 10:38 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the information

I've got some really good ideas now! I appreciate the info. The trailtail looks like the way to go along with the lightwieght hitch I saw on one of the websites. I'll get together with my son and start the fab process soon. I'll document it on photos and get them posted.

Thanks again
Old 03-01-2009, 09:44 PM

It needs a hollow axle to set it up like they have it. I suppose it would be possible to swap out the existing axle bolt for a hollow one.

Then I thought it would work mounted to the paddock stand bolt holes. That was until I looked at the bike. I would not trust a trailer to the light welds that hold those fittings to the swing arm.

A simple hitch to the rear footpegs looks like the way to go. If you have a vertical-pinned hitch to the trailer that only allows swing movement, you only need one mounting point each side of the bike.

Take out the rear footpegs (I never carry a pillion anyway) and make up a block that fits in there with a horizontal bolt hole. That way the vertical movement is taken by the mounting bolt.

Bolting to the subframe gives the advantage of the bike's rear suspension to the trailer. However, the front of the trailer will fall as the rear suspension compresses, so the floor of the trailer needs to be high enough to cope with whatever movement the suspension allows the bike.

If you link to a hollow axle you don't have to take this movement into consideration. Another advantage of the axle link is in rough terrain. If the wheel bounces over a rock it will lift the trailer. Less damage to the trailer floor that way.

Here in Oz it would also need mudguard over the wheel, tail and brake lights, blinkers, the works. Here's our local design requirements
http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roa...pdf/vsb_01.pdf

Luckily they don't have requirements for strength of materials or design etc. But they do have requirements for the hitching attachment. Gotta love the bureaucrats.

Funny thing is, there's no option for a one-wheel trailer. They assume two is minimum.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boroop View Post
A quick Google search yielded these pages of inspiration.

http://www.dauntlessmotors.com/hitch...uzukihitch.htm

http://gjroberts.smugmug.com/gallery/1542239#P-4-12

http://www.trailtail.com/main.html

When you figure out what you're doing... let the rest of us know. I have an N-Line trailer that I could see dragging around behind me later this summer.

The hitch for the V Strom looks very lightweight to me . Doesn't

appear to have enough vertical or lateral support. A hitch has to be

built to support more than just the tongue weight and the weight of the

trailer. Looks dangerous to me.

I pull a trailer with my Gold Wing and have for over twenty years, but I

don't think my Versys would handle very well or has enough weight to

pull a trailer of any size. Just my opinion though.

Mike

Mike...............Sweet Home Alabama

08 Versys(red)
96 Gold Wing
08 Kaw Teryx
05 Polaris Ranger
Old 03-03-2009, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mweaver View Post
The hitch for the V Strom looks very lightweight to me . Doesn't appear to have enough vertical or lateral support...
I'd agree that the V-Strom hitch looks a little off. The mounting points seem really poorly chosen IMO. If he'd run the bottom mounts from the passenger pegs and then find a point under the tail for the downward support I think it would be more stable.

That's exactly the way my Concours hitch is mounted.

Quote:
I pull a trailer with my Gold Wing and have for over twenty years, but I don't think my Versys would handle very well or has enough weight to pull a trailer of any size. Just my opinion though.
I'm not sure yet.

I've seen 1500 Goldwings pulling trailers that would have my 4-cylinder Jeep struggling (not that they could panic stop to save their lives)... so I guess it all depends on what you're going to pull.

The N-line trailer that I own weighs in at 79lbs empty. I'm sure the Versys has more than enough power to tow around a couple hundred extra pounds.

Bo Roop
2001 Kawasaki Concours
1986 Honda Fat Cat

2008-9 Kawasaki Versys?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:02 AM

Send a message via AIM to golfmuch
Love to take the trailer when I need to. I have been thru the dragon with one behind me. It really did not slow me down a bit.

Old 03-03-2009, 08:11 AM

Interested too

I've thought about towing my Trials bike (160 lbs) to events using my Versys. One of the guys I ride with tows his bike with a Honda Pacific Coast 800 just fine. His bike has similar horsepower and torque as my Versys, but it is 200 lbs heavier. I'm interested it what kind of hitch could be developed for the V.

Old 03-03-2009, 01:29 PM

I would be most interested in the hitch as well. I already have some ideas for a light weight trailer to allow me to take my trombones from job to job in the summer. Would probably allow a lot of flexibility for other things as well - even a small kayak. Low weight trailer with light weight off road bike spoked wheels etc. Most of the trailer could be built out of aluminum to cut weight. Golfmuch uses a Yakima car top carrier it appears and I have been looking at one from Thule which will hold the horns and a smidge of baggage as well. The hitch itself however is a bit of a problem. Anybody come up with a good idea, let me know.
Old 03-03-2009, 02:23 PM

Send a message via AIM to golfmuch
The Yakima trailer was more than I needed. Some one bought it from me and I built another. All Aluminum, I use rubber mounted torsion arms for the suspension and a goldwing style swivel hitch. It makes curves very smooth. this is my new trailer. 60 lbs and it will carry over 100 lbs easy. Notice the dual exhuast? This ones faster.

Old 03-03-2009, 03:18 PM

One additional trailer hitch thought - It would be nice to have a trailer hitch, and still keep the Givi hard bags and rack on the bike too.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:17 PM

I have the hard bags and rack, once the weather warms up a bit this weekend, I will go out and take some measurements based on the comments here and see what i can come up with. (It's below 25 right now and still dropping.) maybe with a few comments etc from others we can come up with something sturdy, light and very workable.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:33 PM

OK, so I was a bit bored tonight and Photoshopped up a couple of options based on the owner's manual line drawing.

There appear to be two or three points on each side of the bike where a hitch could be mounted to the frame.

The passenger pegs look to be the weakest point... and probably not recommended. The last drawing may be my front runner because this is the same type of design I have mounted to my cruisers in the past. I would suggest making it out of a 1/4" thick piece of metal and set the mounting holes above the rails themselves.

Here's a similar design for the Honda Valkyrie: http://www.gonzos-garage.com/bike/Va...iver_Hitch.htm

Anyone good with metal fab?

Bo Roop
2001 Kawasaki Concours
1986 Honda Fat Cat

2008-9 Kawasaki Versys?
Old 05-18-2015, 07:34 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to HercEngKody
I know I'm bumping an ancient thread, but I'm going to build trailer for the V when I get home from a deployment. My plan for attaching it to the bike will be to have something made up to replace the rear adjustment blocks, similar to how the Moto-Mule trailer mounts up to the newer model KLRs. That seems like it'll be the simplest way to do it with the least amount of hassle and visual additions to the bike.
Old 05-19-2015, 12:00 PM

I did a similar set up when I connected a bicycle trailer to the swing arm of my Gas Gas 250 TXT trials motorcycle. It works fine.

Here is the trailer http://www.nashbar.com/reviews/nashb...Trailer-2.html

Here is the motorcycle http://www.gasgas.com/news/2014_bike_of_year.htm

The trailer is used off road, at low-ish speeds. I use it to haul around a chain saw, weed wacker and loppers, that I use to set up Observed Trials sections for competition events in Wisconsin.
Old 05-20-2015, 02:12 AM

Garage
The manual states a trailer is not to be towed with the 650 Versys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in