Givi V35 cases - packing and a laptop - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 09:38 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Givi V35 cases - packing and a laptop

I'm debating on buying a Versys and would be using it for commuting to/from work each day and will be carrying a laptop computer with me each way.

I like the looks of the new V35 bags which hug the lines of the bikes better. But I'm wondering about their inside dimensions. I've read somewhere that because of their odd shape that they won't hold a full faced helmet?

So I'm wondering what else they will/won't hold?

I have a 15" laptop that measures 14"x11"x2". Any clue if this will fit (inside a soft-sided briefcase)?

Also, how do you like these bags for packing on vacations? I've had the traditional Givi bags and like them since the bottoms are flat and they rest on a dresser or bed for easy packing. With the slanted bottoms, are the V35s a PITA to pack? It looks like the lids would close every time you walked away.

Thanks for your input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 09:43 AM

Hi Bo,

I use a topcase for my computer. I have a backpack that holds my laptop and other office stuff. It lies flat in the top case. I don't think my backpack would fit in the V35s, but a more minimalist laptop might.

You're right that the V35s are a little fussy when you take them off the bike. It doesn't bother me too much, but they're note as "suticase-like" as the other styles.

-Alan
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 09:50 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick reply.

I was thinking that may be an issue with the laptop requirement. I have a top case on my Concours currently and it holds my computer bag just fine. I was just thinking if I could get away from a top case and go with side cases I may like it more.

I like the SW Motech system since it can be almost completely removed within a minute and i can go into weekend mode without luggage. Just trying to figure out which luggage fits my needs best.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 11:28 AM

Send a message via MSN to joshmedley
I too use the topcase for my laptop...but givi, makes an actual computer case that mounts onto the rear mount which i find ubber interesting. I can get my helmet in the v35's if i turn it just right.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 12:29 PM

You might try the E360 cases from Givi and the SW Mototech mounts these bags are very large and will hold a full face helmet or easily your laptop.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 12:31 PM

I've got a Givi 35V and just measured it. Its 14.5" wide (at the middle it tapers slightly) by 11" deep. Its actually a bit deeper than that, but the lock intrudes into the rear at the base.

If you can get a Pelican case they are great for laptops, 100% waterproof very tough-only drawback, they don't clip on and off-they have to be permanently mounted.

Machog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 12:44 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the great replies and ideas... keep 'em coming!

I'm very familiar with what can be attached to a motorcycle.

On my V-Strom 650, I mounted Mermite cans onto SW Motech racks and a Pelican 1500 on the back for my laptop.

It was a nice setup, but I'm not sure I'd agree with the Mermite look on the Versys. May be a little too Mad Max for this bike.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boroop View Post
I'm debating on buying a Versys and would be using it for commuting to/from work each day and will be carrying a laptop computer with me each way.

I like the looks of the new V35 bags which hug the lines of the bikes better. But I'm wondering about their inside dimensions. I've read somewhere that because of their odd shape that they won't hold a full faced helmet?

So I'm wondering what else they will/won't hold?

I have a 15" laptop that measures 14"x11"x2". Any clue if this will fit (inside a soft-sided briefcase)?

Also, how do you like these bags for packing on vacations? I've had the traditional Givi bags and like them since the bottoms are flat and they rest on a dresser or bed for easy packing. With the slanted bottoms, are the V35s a PITA to pack? It looks like the lids would close every time you walked away.

Thanks for your input.
I did a mockup of your laptop using two binder. The mockup id 14,5" x 11.5" x 2" and it doesn't fit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00347.JPG (41.7 KB, 281 views)

Charles Leblanc
2007 Versys
Givi Windshield and side case
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesleblanc View Post
I did a mockup of your laptop using two binder. The mockup id 14,5" x 11.5" x 2" and it doesn't fit.
Wow! Thanks for the extra effort!
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 04:07 PM

Don't believe all you read!

This is a large Nolan N102, which as a big visor system & certainly bigger than an Arai.

I use it all the time to stash my helmet and it will still hold GPS gloves and other crap.

Machog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 04:50 PM

Kind of off topic, but I bought an Asus Eee as a knockaround computer. It's half the size of my 15" Mac and, if it gets busted or stolen it's only a $300.00 investment. I don't keep any data on it that's not on my main computer already. The Asus is the only computer I take on road trips anymore. It's amazingly good and amazingly tiny.

Last edited by charly; 02-27-2009 at 05:38 PM.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 05:29 PM

i can fit my old arai inthere with some pursuasing new arai fits perfect for vacations i use the givi inner bags so you can leave the cases on the bike works good for me
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 10:15 PM

I have a Givi E52 top case that my backpack with laptop drops right into with my work shoes on top with room for other odds and ends. When I get to work, pull the backpack and shoes out, drop the helmet and jacket in the E52. Pants and boots go in the V35 cases.

I haven't done much overnight traveling, but the little I have done a small overnight bags drops right into the E52.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!

Last edited by sharrison56; 03-06-2009 at 06:42 AM.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-28-2009, 07:11 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharrison56 View Post
I have a Givi E52 top case that my backpack with laptop drops right into with my work shoes on top with room for other odds and ends.
Sounds like just the right size. I usually just wear my motorcycling boots throughout the day and use the extra space for Frisbee Golf discs.

I have one of those JC Whitney knock-off cases right now (large size) and it holds everything I need. But I don't know if there is a back rack for the Versys without a Givi (or similar) mounting point.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-28-2009, 07:46 AM

When it is cold, I just wear everything into the office and put it in the corner of my office. hb9400 had a JC Whitney case (on his first V) and found a top rack for it.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!

post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-28-2009, 09:53 AM

My 15.4 Vaio in my back pack fits nicely in my V35's. It wouldn't fit if I had it packed in it's travel bag.

2007 Versys Black, V35 Bags, H&B Bars, Skidmarx Hugger.Fender Ex., Avon Distanzia, Braided Lines, Hella 65W bulbs Arrow Can, DNA Air filter, GIVI tall screen (for winter), PCIII, Baldwin Saddle. **SOLD**

2011 KTM SM-T. Crash bars, E55 Top Box, Fender extender front and rear.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 10:31 PM

I know these will:

-Size L Shoei TZ-R.
-14.1" screen HP laptop in padded laptop bag/work stuff. I removed the left padded shoulder strap so it fits easier.
-Medium (42) Cortech DSX denim jacket. With pads, without liner.
-12 pack
-2 gallons milk +

I haven't been in heavy rain but I'd think they are waterproof. Certainly for my needs.

If you're looking for a great commuter bike I think you'd be real happy with the V and V35's boroop. The bike is light and responsive, plenty of power and you sit up high in traffic. It'll still go down the highway just fine if you need it to though. As far as packing clothes and soft stuff it's pretty deceptive how much you can get in them. The cases sit flat on the bottoms when closed but not when open. They're also not stable on the "back"-or what would be the inside side when on the bike. You have to put them on a bed or luggage rack or something that will conform. To that overall, with the hinge roughly bisecting the cases, there are better choices for ease of use both on and off the bike - ending in a topcase I suppose. I don't like topcases, liked the V35 style compared to others, was pleasantly surprised at the usable space and work around how it's hinged would be the best way I could put my experience.

Hope this helsp. Be safe.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 07:29 AM

To make packing easier, you can always get the case liners. That way you wouldn't even have to take the cases off the rack.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode