Home made crash pads. - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-26-2009, 08:22 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Home made crash pads.

Versys panel crash pads.
My Versys slid down the road at over 30mph and suffered amazingly little damage. The 2 plastic panels, see photo, were scratched and deeply scored in a very small area.
I have repaired and filled the panels and I am now ready to paint them.
BUT. How about if I fix 2 plastic shaped flat-sheets over the 2 areas that were scratched instead of painting. Therefore if the bike goes down again it will wear out the pads and not the panels. Where they go flat sheet is fine, there is only a one dimension curve.
Question is. what material and how to fix it to the faring panels since depending on the material gluing may not work strongly enough.
Years ago I had a Honda CBR1000F which had 2 crash-pads on each side built in to the fairing. I regret to say I tested them and they worked, so the idea's good.

Any ideas and suggestions guys?
Ted99uk.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg panels 1.JPG (111.7 KB, 241 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-26-2009, 04:08 PM

My suggestion is don't slide your Versys down the road anymore. (I know, I'm a smart a$$)
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-26-2009, 04:27 PM

I can't get a visual on this. I imagine a pillow strapped to either side of the tank. You have a picture of one on some other bike?

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-26-2009, 05:26 PM

How about a frame slider that attaches at the lower bolt hole on the plastic pieces. I used the bar end weights on a 1" steel spacer plus I have crash bars. The bar end weights came off when I installed handguards. I had to do somthing with them.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-26-2009, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAC650 View Post
How about a frame slider that attaches at the lower bolt hole on the plastic pieces. I used the bar end weights on a 1" steel spacer plus I have crash bars. The bar end weights came off when I installed handguards. I had to do somthing with them.
Interesting idea...got any photos? Love to see them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 12:32 AM

Here you go Bones..

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 03:49 AM Thread Starter

I know I could just fit crash bars but I am obsessed with keeping the bike light, that is the main reason I bought the Versys. My previous Yamaha Superten was fitted with mega protection and numerous customised extras but the weight just climbed to the point where I had to have something lighter and more manageable. (Anno Domini)
Ted.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 12:24 PM

I think a frame slider in this location would work well if the correct bolt and size slider were utilized. Using the bar end weights are IMHO not the best thing to used. If a solid piece was machined to fit and the correct hardned bolt was utilized this would work great. The bar end weights are about the right size as they stick out just pass the turn signals. We need to get Speddy on this....
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-06-2009, 07:04 AM Thread Starter

Update

For technical reasons the original idea of the carbon fibre pads didn't work out. I won't bore you with the chapter of incompetence.
When I get round to it I am going to make them from sheet aluminium and smaller so they dont need double curvature.
My very heavy-duty handguards keep the bike well off the ground when it is on its side, which is why I got so little damage in the crash. I have refixed them stronger and angled a little better to keep the bike even more off its panels if I throw it down the road again.
Ted.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-06-2009, 03:44 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted99uk View Post
For technical reasons the original idea of the carbon fibre pads didn't work out. I won't bore you with the chapter of incompetence.
When I get round to it I am going to make them from sheet aluminium and smaller so they dont need double curvature.
My very heavy-duty handguards keep the bike well off the ground when it is on its side, which is why I got so little damage in the crash. I have refixed them stronger and angled a little better to keep the bike even more off its panels if I throw it down the road again.
Ted.
...maybe laying down gently would be more beneficial.

P.S. Hope you're ok!!

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-07-2009, 05:37 AM Thread Starter

Yes not a scratch. That was last September.
Ted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode