Vstrom 2 Versys - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 01:48 PM Thread Starter

Vstrom 2 Versys

Looking for riding exp./comparison for Vstrom dl1000 to a versys.
I owned and put 20K trouble free miles on dl1000 then kinda got bored with it and sold it. I am almost sold on the versys, but would like some camparison exp. if any out there.
I like the lighter weight versys has, seems a little less top heavy, maybe more nimble..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big M View Post
Looking for riding exp./comparison for Vstrom dl1000 to a versys.
I owned and put 20K trouble free miles on dl1000 then kinda got bored with it and sold it. I am almost sold on the versys, but would like some camparison exp. if any out there.
I like the lighter weight versys has, seems a little less top heavy, maybe more nimble..
Versys is no match for long trips compared to DL1000. In town Versys is nice as weights less and takes corners little better. If had to pick between the two would go for the DL1000 as bigger is always better.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-26-2009, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmhenrick View Post
as bigger is always better.
You'd be a great wing man picking up chicks with that philosophy. Personally, I like lean, small and nimble.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-26-2009, 03:21 PM

I sold my 07 DL1000 and purchased a Versys. I like the Versys SO MUCH MORE than the DL; lighter, easier to handle, more comfortable for me.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-26-2009, 03:21 PM

The versys destroys a DL on twisty asphalt roads and yes I have ridden both.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-26-2009, 03:25 PM

Kind of like apples to oranges. More fair comparison would be the v strom 650 to the Versys. Do you want more power or nimble? The 650 strom is more nimble they say than the 1000. Power goes to the bigger bike. Figure out what your purpose is. Long haul two up go for the 1000.

Yamaha Secca II
1600 Classic-sold
08 Verseys
1986 Corvette

Life is not a practice run. Enjoy each and every day.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 08:37 AM

comparing versys to DL1000 Vstrom

Just bought a Suzuki B KING you can get really good deals on them as they are not selling. Best bike every owned does not even compare to a versys in town or freeways. B King only gets low to mid 30s mpg as I drive it like a mad ape in town but it handles and rides like no other bike every had. Right now I own Versys, DL1000, ST1300 and R1200RT. I will get low 40 mpg if you drive it like a normal person. Looks like it will go through back tire faster 4000 or 5000 miles the way I been riding and they run 200 bucks.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 09:24 AM

Have you searched for previous threads on this? There must be 100 variations on this already.

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ead.php?t=1357

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=332185

http://www.versys.co.uk/index.php?op...5&topic=2140.0

Etc., etc.

Gustavo
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 09:53 AM

If you're looking do get a Versys sized bike, consider a 2005, or 2006 Ducati Multistrada 620. I had planned to purchase a Versys, but went with the MTS 620 instead. Additionally, it has been more reliable than my previous Honda, and the air-cooled motor is bullet-proof! Comparing the MTS 620 to the Versys 650 is a better comparison than comparing the Versys to a Strom 650 or Yammy FZ6, as both the Versys and the Duc are Multipurpose on-road mid-engined machines.

'I use my cigar smoke as idiot repellent'

Yeah, that’s a statistic sample size of 1, category “anecdotal evidence”, but there it is.

"You just got killed by a Daewoo Lanos motherfu#&er!!" -Red, from Pineapple Express.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 10:50 AM

I remember when the MultiStrada came out a several years ago, it was highlighted in the press for being a "new" direction for motorcycles. I thought to my self, "interesting, but I'd never own anything like that!". Here I am now... owner of the japanese version (a Versys), and loving it!
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 11:52 AM

Why are you saying the strom 650 isn't a fair comparison? Was a toss up for me for ahwile. Same size motor and about the same weight. I would sure take the strom over the Duc.

Yamaha Secca II
1600 Classic-sold
08 Verseys
1986 Corvette

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitmind View Post
You'd be a great wing man picking up chicks with that philosophy. Personally, I like lean, small and nimble.
I'm with you, small and light makes em easier to throw around
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 01:54 PM

I own an '08 Versys and a '04 Wee-Strom and they are very comparable bikes -- both are good value, reliable and have tons of add-ons available. Can't speak about the DL1000, but the Versys is much lighter handling, quicker and more flickable. The Wee-Strom is very smooth and fast, but it is more top heavy than the V. In my opinion you can't go wrong with either bike for short touring and general riding. The DL1000 is a much bigger bike and probably great for long-range touring, but is less suited to my type of riding.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano View Post
I would sure take the strom over the Duc.
.....You obviously have never ridden a Duc

'I use my cigar smoke as idiot repellent'

Yeah, that’s a statistic sample size of 1, category “anecdotal evidence”, but there it is.

"You just got killed by a Daewoo Lanos motherfu#&er!!" -Red, from Pineapple Express.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-07-2009, 11:49 AM

For my use i would always take the strom over the duc. We don't even have a dealer around here. Couldn't get parts for them so the dealer dropped them. You are also wrong that i have never rode one. Owned one but will admitt it was a long time ago. You like Ducati so is fine for you. I just stated i would take the strom. Was on my list as second choice to the Versys. Is why they make so many makes of motorcycles. I have owned probably 25 over the years and like old girlfriends i liked them all but wanted to try something different eventually. For some reason Ducati is not anywhere around the midwest here in Iowa. About as popular as the Guzzi's i owned. They had their quirks but i liked them. Ride and have fun on the Ducati if that is what you like the best. Was just my 2 cents so don't get ruffled.

Yamaha Secca II
1600 Classic-sold
08 Verseys
1986 Corvette

post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 10:13 AM

I owned a DL1000 and I liked it well enough but the Versys is so flickable and fun I'm not looking back.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 06:19 PM

I almost bought the wee strom 650 and think it is more flickable than the 1000 also but think now i made the right choice for the Versys. I had the Ninja 650R and man was it a nice motor but the position and seat was tough on an old man. Loved the motor so figured i couldn't go wrong with the Vesrys for my needs. Two up touring the DL1000 would probably be better. This bike is fun and that is what i want in life. Don't mean to criticize the Ducati but it is more for a younger rider that can handle the position. Few years back they had a dual purpose model that i almost bought but as i looked at it the dealer here dropped Ducati. Versys has all the usable power i can handle with a smile. Glad you like it. Enjoy

Yamaha Secca II
1600 Classic-sold
08 Verseys
1986 Corvette

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode