Is now the time to bargain on a new bike? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 01:59 AM Thread Starter

Is now the time to bargain on a new bike?

Hello All,

I'm thinking about selling my Sportster and replacing it with a Versys.

Do any of you think that I have some bargaining power at the dealership if I go and buy an 09 versys at this time of year?
I recall seeing the 08 Vs going for 1000 of MSRP in July of last year. Can the same happen this early in the year?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 02:31 AM

it depends on why you want a bike, what sort of bike you want, what sort of riding you do.

there was talk of someone trading in a cruiser for a New V and getting cash in return (the dealer had a V on the books that he was struggling to sell and the could sell second hand cruisers)

I think you will get a better deal on a 2008 model, you will have a stronger hand (if you ever do have such a thing when buying form a dealer)
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 02:39 AM

Hi Allan,
1000 was really good.You should have bought it at that time.But I think it must be second hand.
Well looking at current economy you wont get the same rate again.
Honda Motorcycles.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 05:54 AM

I always pay cash so my bargaining power is much greater and I ALWAYS bargain with the dealer. Any time you have to dance around the financing deal they have to offer, you really don't have any bargaining power. If you don't have the cash available see if you can pre-arrange your financing so you can deal as if you are using cash. Another option is have enough room on a credit card to cover the whole deal but remember that the dealer has to pay 3 to 5 percent for the credit card use so be prepared for that. He'll probably want to add that amount to the agreed sales price. Still another alternative is to have a credit card check with you and that's the same as cash because the dealer doesn't have to take the hicky for taking a credit card.

Just remember that a dealer has a bottom line and he's not going to lay his cards on the table right off the bat. If you offer him something he simply can't take he'll let you know, but don't be afraid of hurting his feelings by offering less than what he is asking. A lot of people are like that but I guarantee you he isn't afraid of hurting your feelings so be bold in your dealings. If a deal is made, the dealer makes money so you just have to look out for your end of the deal. Don't leave money on the table by being timid about how much money your willing to lay out but be reasonable in your offers. By all means always check prices from at least two dealers and their reputation for standing behind that product and his customer service reputation. One good way to check their reputation is ask people on a forum for whatever bike you are looking at. That's the best way to really get a pulse on that dealer.

As far as the time of the year goes, this economy pretty well takes care of that. You're in the drivers seat right now for making a deal.

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 07:54 AM

Good times now

Well,

There is nothing wrong with waiting... most times waiting works for the best.

The same deal you can get today you will get tomorrow or even a better deal.

The question is how long can you wait without your versys ?

Is the extra wait worth the savings on a future deal...

The economy is not going to go back up any time soon...

More incredible deals are going to become even more frequent...

Last year left over models can be a catch 22 so you have to be certain...

If you love the bike and want to keep it for a while, 2008 left over are great.

If you end up hating the bike and want to trade it, well you are just stock with a last year model that you paid more then book value for it and now you are a big loss...

Also, a dealer has to be very, very despert to sell a bike at a loss, they would rather trade it with another dealer and lost their hold back money instead, before they will sell it to you for below cost.

So, don't spect that just because is an 08 you will get a bargain...

If you work hard, you can still get the same deal on a 2009 as you can get on a 2008 left over...

If you can get a 2009 for MSRP out the door you are doing fine...

The time you spend riding a bike that you no longer like is a wast and worthless.

The time you spend riding the versy that you want is priceless and worth more then the few bucks you can save on a later deal...
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 07:56 AM

There's another post that almost deserves a sticky
for anyone coming on line to find out how to get
a Versys (or any other bike for that matter).

Good one, Don!

Edit; Missed SVnet's post; also good advice.
Remember, dealers are paying huge amounts
of money for floor-planned bikes. And feeling
the crunch now, so they are motivated to
move stuff...

Last edited by AvaChava; 02-25-2009 at 08:00 AM.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 08:31 AM

Don has great points although cash has no advantage with a dealer unless he is going to finance it. They could care less if you have cash or a check from some other source of finance. I do however write a check myself. I am the one who traded a Cruiser and got a good deal. Was only because it was a Kaw. model for another Kaw. model and he is a cruiser dealer mainly and could not move the Versys. Also was the third bike i bought from him. Other dealer here discounted his to unload it. He did look it up and was no incentive from Kaw. to move the 08 leftover. There was almost a $1000 off the Curiser leftover when i bought it. Is hard to trade a bike of a brand sometimes a dealer doesn't handle as they don't get the traffic in for those brands. If you can find a dealer that handles both you will do better. If you run into a dealer that has sat on a 08 Versys as they do here you might just make a good trade deal.

Yamaha Secca II
1600 Classic-sold
08 Verseys
1986 Corvette

Life is not a practice run. Enjoy each and every day.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 09:59 AM

There are several hardly used V's out there, some nicely farkled, being offered for less than new. See the Classifieds here, check eBay and Craig's List, too. Worth looking into if cost is an issue.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 10:08 AM

Finance advantage...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
There are several hardly used V's out there, some nicely farkled, being offered for less than new. See the Classifieds here, check eBay and Craig's List, too. Worth looking into if cost is an issue.
Yes, that is true, if you have cash on hands and don't owe anything on your current bike you can get some really good deals on craigslist...

But that is not the case for most people so they can't break free from the dealers...

The dealers do make a profit, but they do provide a service to you and that is their charge.

They can take the old bike, pay off the balance on it and they can arrange finanace for the new bike...

In this economy no everyone have cash on hand to do business the smart way and this is America where very body wants it their way and wants it now.

Also for most people with okay credit, not good credit, if they walk to a bank today for a motorcycle loan, they will get declined, but if the same person goes to a dealer, some how the dealers manages to get them approved...

Beats me....
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 11:33 AM

I'm with Bones. The best deals are out there with the slightly used bikes. Find one with the aftermarket accessories you want and make an offer. You can easily save a grand or two. I have absolutely no problem buying a used bike from the right person.

Jeff in Illinois
07 Bandit
03 KLR
82 Rokon
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 11:59 AM

Cool More on Finance

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVNET View Post
Yes, that is true, if you have cash on hands and don't owe anything on your current bike you can get some really good deals on craigslist...

But that is not the case for most people so they can't break free from the dealers...

The dealers do make a profit, but they do provide a service to you and that is their charge.

They can take the old bike, pay off the balance on it and they can arrange finanace for the new bike...

In this economy no everyone have cash on hand to do business the smart way and this is America where very body wants it their way and wants it now.

Also for most people with okay credit, not good credit, if they walk to a bank today for a motorcycle loan, they will get declined, but if the same person goes to a dealer, some how the dealers manages to get them approved...

Beats me....
Having worked in the auto industry and believe me any industry that offers finance will work the same, I have a few additional points to offer.

The dealer MAKES $$ to finance the deal. The banks they contract with will pay them to work up the contracts, plus If they arrange financeing through local or national banks they have what is called a Buy Rate. That is what the banks rate is to them. They have the option to sell to you at buy rate-or mark up the rate to a higher one. This is an incentive for them to make some additional money. I personally do not see a problem with a dealer holding a half a point. Remember Profit is not a dirty word-If they make none, they cant stay in buisiness-but they dont have to make it all on one deal either.
The Special deals(kawi in this case) are basically an open line of credit or credit card type structure. Good for while the specials last-but then you want to roll them to conventional financing before the promo expires, or you get all the interest tacked back on.
I bought mine at the 6mo kawi deal-I mean its free $ for the 6mo, no briainer in my book, then at the end of the term I rolled mine to a conventional loan at 6%. All the money paid during the 6 mo initial term came directly off the principal purchase.
Just my 2 cents.....

2008 Versys
Muzzy Exhaust-race core!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Upgraded Kawi Windshield
Madstadd Bracket
Fiamm 132 db low note horn

Osram Hyper 65 h7 lights

Kawi/Givi V35 Bags
Shad SH-29 Top Case
SW-Motech Quick release Brackets
Sw-Motech Alu-Rack
Garmin GPSMap 60csx

Joe Rocket Manta Tankbag-Red
Kawi Tank Protector
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 03:22 AM Thread Starter

Hello All,

The bike I was looking at was a 2009 Versys at a local dealership. He wants $5,999.00 for it.

If I buy it, I'll pay cash, but first I need to sell my Harley. The good news is that my Harley is still the best selling motorcycle in the US and many people I know want to buy it. I have a good reputation with some locals for the maintenance I performed on my bike so they won't try to burn me.

When it comes to waiting to make a deal, this winter is my friend. It tends to stay cold here in Wisconsin till May, so I have some time.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 10:58 PM

I bought a very sweet 2008 Versys with 4300 miles on it nine days ago. I found it
on Craigslist. It had side bags, top box, heated grips, tank bag, new engine guards (because it had been laid down and one of the bags was crushed). Guy was a meticulous Boeing engineer who decided he wanted a Cruiser. He was asking $5500 and he took $5000. I would see what you can find on Craigslist before going to a dealer. I do believe that this is an excellent time to buy a bike. People are losing jobs
and needing to part with their "toys". Here in the Northwest it is not yet riding weather so clearly it is a buyers market. Good Luck!!!
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 07:33 AM

The guy lays down a Versys and wants to
switch to a cruiser??? Ha ha, that's like
giving your triple seven up for a Connie
(the nostalgic way to travel by air).

Allan, the price for that '09 sounds pretty
good and you get to break it in properly.
Some people like used wives too but there's
nothing like breaking one in right from the
beginning...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode