Vario windscreen with 'wind wings' - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 05:15 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Vario windscreen with 'wind wings'

Off the bat, ALL the screens for the V are ugly. Currently, the Givi gets the nod on both least-ugly and most comfortable for me. I don't care for the looks NOR the gut/chest windblast from around side of headlamp area. I ultimately want a clear screen where (looking from the front) the bottom curves down closely following the lines of the headlamp then flares back along the top of the side faring pieces. Cee Bailey offers a similar design for the R1200 GSAs.

http://www.ceebaileys.com/bmw/bmws1150gsadv.htm
http://www.ceebaileys.com/bmw/art/gstour2.jpg

The V looks too long-legged in the front to begin with. A screen that sits lower in the front and arcs downward (versus V shaped like most offerings) will tie the screen into the lamp assembly, looking more stock. The top of the screen doesn't matter (aesthetics wise).

Also, how about these so called "wind wings" from Cee Bailey? Would these work on the V in conjunction with the Givi (and handguards)? I think they'll do the trick.

http://www.ceebaileys.com/bmw/art/1200gs_epww02.jpg

All fer now!
/neil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 06:16 PM
Super Moderator

Proof that beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Maybe you should contact Mike. He's a member of this forum & makes windscreens. Maybe he could fabricate something for you.

His profile here (he goes by gti20vturbo):

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/member.php?u=2297

His site:

http://members.cox.net/michealmims/mikesshields.htm

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 06:28 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Bear! I suppose I should have said the current windscreen options don't complement the front lines of the V. The screens themselves aren't UGLY

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 12:01 AM

Those Wind Wings look interesting but I am not sure I would want to drill into my V to add them. I may have to look at the V this weekend and see if I can come up with something that mounts to the two upper fairing screws.

ST1300, Versys, SV650S
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 12:41 AM

Send a message via MSN to joshmedley
I ride a v-rod as well, with the corbin hardcases and a pretty good size front fairing...it's basically set up as a cruiser and have the wings on it...a copy from my parents. I like them a whole lot... but just got a line on a Stallion trike...so i think i might be a proud owner this time tomorrow.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 01:56 AM

Theres an interesting variation on the windscreen fitting appeared on www.versys.co.uk which is to use the vario windscreen, but to fit the standard screen on top of the vario in place of the 'blade'

http://www.versys.co.uk/index.php?op...5&topic=5244.0
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-26-2009, 10:26 PM

When I saw that Vario adaptation I went out to the shed to see how they fitted.

I have the Vario, and began thinking that it's probably possible to make up two brackets that screw to the original screen and clip over the Vario blade. That way it can be slid into place for a trip or in cold weather, and removed for commuting.

Still thinking. And now that I've suggested it, a more fertile mind than mine might come up with something.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 08:32 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gti20vturbo View Post
Those Wind Wings look interesting but I am not sure I would want to drill into my V to add them. I may have to look at the V this weekend and see if I can come up with something that mounts to the two upper fairing screws.
Mike, I'm all ears. Certainly a one piece screen is prefered, but I'd have no problems adding something like the wings to add additional protection for ANY of the screen options available. I'm looking for more sport-touring protection/deflection at and below handlebar height. Looks wise, something that hugs the headlamp down to the 'shoulder' of the faring then flares out. Should work well, then, with handguards. Screens and seats are usually top of mind for most riders, particularly V riders. The (1200 GSA similar) screen in my mind would be multi purpose and stay on pretty much all year.

Here's a close up of the wing things:
http://www.motorcyclists-online.com/...venture_04.jpg

Heck, all I'm asking for is a touring-oriented, clear, quiet, reasonably priced, screen that doesn't look aftermarket. I'd imagine you could sell a few sets of those wings adapted for the V. Loyal bunch, here. Let me know if you need some more direction, mike!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BMW_R1200GS_adventure_06.jpg (37.7 KB, 104 views)

Last edited by neil_asheville; 02-27-2009 at 08:34 AM.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-28-2009, 08:53 AM Thread Starter

Pouring over lots of V windscreen pics and sites on this rainy and cold NC morning. Mike's screens look far better suited for the V than the other options. Assuming they function properly, IMO, he's done a great job with the lines. The more I look at his pics and site, the wings as an add-on make it a versatile three piece system. I do like his idea about using the upper faring screws as attachment point. With some rubber bushings, that'd be very secure...and easily removed when you don't need the wings. I'd probably keep them on.

Hopefully he's in the garage as I type baking up some prototypes.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 07:38 AM Thread Starter

Have you had any other screen or wing inspiration, Mike?
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 01:33 PM

I would be more when interested to hear if any of you guys had success to get the touring screen of some kind work for you!!!
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 10:52 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gti20vturbo View Post
Helloooo Mike. Did you get anywhere on the 'wings'? I'm still serious. If you haven't, I might spring for the cee bailey ones and drilll to the fairing. If I need to alter the bend somehow, is there a relatively easy method of heating and bending this type of material?

thx a bunch
/neil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode