No 2009 Versys in Australia - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 01:07 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
No 2009 Versys in Australia

I just spoke with a dealer in Victoria (I'm trying to buy a new V) who said that there may be more bikes this year, but that they're all '08s that haven't yet been ADR'd. Apparently, Kawasaki is discontinuing the model for '09 in Aus.

Might just be exchange rate problems, but does anyone know if the bike is being phased out, maybe next year, in other locations?

Might this also mean it's already at end of lifecycle (it's been going since '05 or '06 in the UK, hasn't it? - and don't they not sell them in California due to emissions?) and soon to be replaced by something with some higher quality welds and casting gate finishing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 01:51 AM

G'day krocco,
I spoke with 3 dealers here in W.A when I was a searching,(have one now, keep making excuses to go for a spin ) only one had access to a green 08, the others said they could only get blue 09's.....who knows the TrUtH when speaking to dealers ?

Don't know if it's being phased out, though I would believe it for the Aus market, not so popular, though I have a feeling it will come of age in the future.

far as I've read they do sell in CA and where'd ya hear about the welds ?

Take it easy and good luck

Boogs
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 04:03 AM Thread Starter

No history on the welds that I'm aware of. I just had a look at the joint between the left side swingarm and the cast bit and it seemed a bit discontinuous; they're probably fine, but I've seen better. Last two bikes I've owned were KTMs, so I'm spoilt in this department.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 03:39 PM

Send a message via MSN to demuire Send a message via Skype™ to demuire
I had a Suzuki SV650 (K4) before my Versys and I must say - the welds on the Suzi were *MUCH* nicer looking than those on my Versys. I'm sure the Versys welds are strong enough, they just don't look pretty...

I doubt they would discontinue the Versys sales, however I wouldn't be surprised if we don't get any 09's anytime soon. Even at the Gold Coast Motorcycle Expo where they were displaying 09 models that hadn't arrived here yet, they were still displaying an 08 Versys... They've probably got a whole crateload of 08's sitting around waiting to be sold, maybe the next Versys we get would be a 2010 model...

~
FookStar

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 Kawasaki Versys (in green!)
Queensland, Australia
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 04:42 PM

Bike sales are dramatically down all over the world-we have numerous bike dealers going out of business over here in the US.

One of the largest dealers in the US near me in Southern Californian used to sell around 700 units (Quads, bikes, snowmobiles) a month, they are now selling around a 100. The local HD dealer in Palm Desert is closing his doors on March 1st. Biggest Honda bike dealer in Seattle WA just closed its doors. Its getting tough out there, whatever industry you are in.

V has been a huge success in Europe and done OK in the US, we've only had 08-09 models. Think it was launched in Europe in 06.

I hope you guys and the US keep it, its the best bike I've ever had, I don't need another new one yet-but maybe one day I'll wear it out.

Yes, they are now selling in California and again its doing OK in this terrible economy.

Machog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 02:25 AM

Personally I'd reckon its too early to accept claims from a dealer that no 2009 versions are being sold, and that the Versys is being discontinued in Australia. I could well believe that there are unsold bikes sitting in their crates waiting for an owner. There are dealers in the UK still trying to sell brand new 2007 models (mind you they are also trying to charge more than some dealers are selling 2009 models).

I think the Versys came out in 2006 in Europe, mine is a two year old example.. Jan 2007 manufactured around Oct/Nov 2006 looking at the plastic panels)

If Kawasaki retain the model, then it maybe due for an update in 2010..2012 judging by what they have done with other models.

Although virtually everyone who has one, or seemingly rides one, raves about the Versys I don't see that many on the road. So its possible that model could be discontinued, due to poor sales. If you follow the thread here on dealers not selling the V you can see why. My local K dealer has just taken delivery of his 2009, several ER6 (Ninja 650's), no V in sight

It was very noticable that on a rideout in the UK last Sunday the V owners were all older, I'd guess the younger around early mid 30's, the older anywhere above 50. lots of grey hair or no hair on show when the helmets were (reluctantly) removed.

The problem I suspect may be that the bike doesn't appeal to the spotty teenager or boy racer, and there is plenty of competition for the 'mature'/older rider, from the likes of Triumph, Ducati and so on. it may well be that the bike appeals more to older riders who have more cash and are sidelining the V in favour of something more exotic. I was seriously considering buying a second hand Tiger, I'd even sort of looked at the Bonny or Scrambler. the Ducati multistrada is still a bit rich.

I suspedct the V will be around for a while longer yet, if for no other reason than they have to get rid of the stock!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 03:09 AM

Hi Demuire, how was the Gold Coast show anyhow? I am getting my 08 V from Pro Kwaka at Slacks creek, did you get yours there?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 03:34 AM

Send a message via MSN to demuire Send a message via Skype™ to demuire
Quote:
Originally Posted by healdem View Post
It was very noticable that on a rideout in the UK last Sunday the V owners were all older, I'd guess the younger around early mid 30's, the older anywhere above 50. lots of grey hair or no hair on show when the helmets were (reluctantly) removed.
Now I feel old

aggonizedrabbit: No, I got mine from Team Moto Kawasaki Maroochydore. Are you getting yours new? I'm thinking of getting a vario screen for mine, not sure where from yet. The expo was alright, lots of new bikes and some good discounts on gear. I got a jacket and a pair of molded ear plugs...

~
FookStar

2008 Kawasaki Versys (in green!)
Queensland, Australia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode