Getting close... - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Getting close...

Well,

There is a dealer about 70mi from me that put an ad on a local paper, 09 V for $5,999.

I called them and the guy tells me it is $5,999 + Tax.

I said cool, that should be about $6400.

But then he start adding all kinds of other fees and gives me a final OTD quote of $7200.

I told them to forget it, the only reason I called was because of the $5,999 ad.

He told me he was going to check with his sales manager to see what they can do.

I just check my VM and they quoted me $6850 OTD for a 2009 Green V.

I just saw a post here some stating that $6200 OTD would be ideal...

But realistically here in FL, what do you guys think of $6850 OTD

It cold be a done deal by this weekend...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 08:03 PM

Hi SVNET,

The financial questions are always a bit tricky to answer....

I can tell you what I paid OTD - it is 6800 USD in Raleigh, NC for a 2008 new. I'm almost willing to bet the average price paid by the inmates on this site comes very close to that number.

Bottomline - you need to go with what you are comfortable with - you are the customer and it's your cash! The incentive here is you could be riding next Monday if you close this weekend.....
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 08:20 PM

I paid $7,400 OTD, but I'm on the left coast where the Kaiser of Kalifornia wants us all to pay the man...

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 08:35 PM
Super Moderator

SVNET, why would you buy from a dealer that has slimy tactics? He may not screw you this time, but what about next? Is that OTD including taxes? If so its not bad, but if your adding taxes on you're not getting a great deal, just average, so if I were you I would look around.

Steve
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 01:14 AM Thread Starter

Still looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonerockz View Post
SVNET, why would you buy from a dealer that has slimy tactics? He may not screw you this time, but what about next? Is that OTD including taxes? If so its not bad, but if your adding taxes on you're not getting a great deal, just average, so if I were you I would look around.

Steve
Yeah, I was kind of turn off by that whole false advertising stuff and the fact that when I spoke with him first he said it was $6K + tax and then when he run his numbers it turns out to be tax and a lot other more stuff that they add to it...

But at the same time I see that is a tactic that a lot of other dealers are using... When I look on the internet most dealers within 200mi of me are listing the V for $6K + $159 Doc fee + Tax, that could easily wind up at MSRP OTD which means another $1200 on top of the advertised $6K.

Now when we said OTD here in FL we mean it, so the $6850 includes a registered bike out on the street, no one penny more...

There is another dealer near by that has a new 08 left over for $6800 OTD, so for $50 more I can get a 2009 but I would have to travel about 1 hr to go get it...

I think all these dealers are really shady, I don't trust any of them, I don't think any of them are straight, they say one thing here and then another thing there, never keep their word, and so far I have not been able to find anything different, all dealers are the same to me, I just have to play the game until I get what I want.

I am not calling them back, but when they do call me back I will tell them $6500 OTD or no deal...

Last edited by SVNET; 02-24-2009 at 01:17 AM.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 06:43 AM

When I bought mine last summer it was advertised for $5,999 and after tax/dealer prep/registration I paid about $6,600. I really don't mind paying a couple hundred dollars for dealer prep, as longer as they don't get carried away. It is kind of a BS way to make a buck when they add it at the end, but since we started in a good place I really didn't have a problem with it. I still walked out the door below MSRP. It don't really trust most dealers either, but we need them around if we want to buy our toys, so they need to make a buck too. All that said it does sound like there are some really slimy dealers out there...

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 07:52 AM

To really compare, you have to ask what folks from Florida have paid. OTD is the only number that really matters, but high vehicle taxes and fees in some states and/or very low taxes and fees in other states will really skew the numbers.

Just call other dealers and ask them for their OTD price, and tell them you're ready to pay cash that day if they'll deal. Then go back to your local/favorite dealer and see if they'll match or at least get close enough to make it worth your while.

Texas, I think, is a bit on the high side for vehicle taxes and fees, which is 6.5% + approx $150 in state fees. That said, I paid $7100 OTD. I could have gotten it for about $300 less if I traveled 250 miles, but that wasn't worth it to me.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 08:31 AM Thread Starter

Same in FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satex View Post
To really compare, you have to ask what folks from Florida have paid. OTD is the only number that really matters, but high vehicle taxes and fees in some states and/or very low taxes and fees in other states will really skew the numbers.

Just call other dealers and ask them for their OTD price, and tell them you're ready to pay cash that day if they'll deal. Then go back to your local/favorite dealer and see if they'll match or at least get close enough to make it worth your while.

Texas, I think, is a bit on the high side for vehicle taxes and fees, which is 6.5% + approx $150 in state fees. That said, I paid $7100 OTD. I could have gotten it for about $300 less if I traveled 250 miles, but that wasn't worth it to me.
Well, FL is very similar to Texas then...

Local Tax was just raised from 6.25 to 6.5%, Tag and Title is also about $150.

The difference is that before, when gas was high and economy a little better, dealers would start at MSRP, so for the Versys it would be something like this:

$7200 MSRP Starting Point
$468 State tax
$150 Tag and Title
$400 Dealer Assembly Fee (easily removed)
$150 Dealer office/document fee (easily removed)

$8,368 Total Out the door (aprox.)

Now that economy is bad, gas is cheap, and it is winter, people are not even looking at the bike dealers when they drive by... The new tactic is to list the bike on local papers, cycle trader, etc, but instead of listing the MSRP tag price, dealers now listing the bikes at delaer cost prices but they won't tell you all the fees, in a way false advertising...

They are now listing dealer cost price instead of MSRP to catch your attention and maybe get you to stop by or at least to call them.

But in reality, we all saving about 1 grant with the current scheme, but if you work hard at eliminating those fees, we can get it pretty close to dealer cost with a very slim profit margin...

So at this time the numbers go like these:

$6000 Base price ( I will bet dealer cost )
$390 State tax (Mandatory)
$150 Tag and Title (Mandatory)
$400 Assembly fees (can be removed)
$150 Document/Office fee (can be removed)

$7090 Total out the door which now is pretty closed to MSRP.

Without the Fees

$6000 Base price
$390 State tax
$150 Tax and title

$6540 Real cost of the bike with base price and mandatory state charges.

So if I pay $6850, they are actually getting $310 either in profits to them or just to cover the bike assembly expenses...

Now, states where at this point is snowing and very cold that you can not ride, of course they would be wiling to give bike even at a lost just to move them.

But states like FL where at this point you can ride to work everyday if you don't mind 40 degree mornings, then the deals are not as aggressive...
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 09:04 AM

SVNET, you're over analyzing this. Knowing dealer cost is irrelevant. What matters is your bottom line price and how the dealer arrives at that figure doesn't really matter. What matters is that it's a figure you can both live with. I agree with another post, however. Why would you talk to a dealer who is masking the truth from the beginning? There has to be better dealers out there than that.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 03:58 PM
Super Moderator

Shoot, $6850 OTD is not a bad price. If you're balking at that price, maybe you should look for a used bike. There have been a few good deals posted here. Of course, there's probably some traveling involved.

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 09:37 AM Thread Starter

Insurance counts...

Well,

The insurance quote is helping my decision as well...

I currently have Geico...

My last bike, 800cc Cruiser, $205/YR

2008 GSX650F $680/YR

2009 Versys $399/YR

I have to shop around for insurance as well, but I think the difference will remain the same...
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 11:06 AM

I'm in ft lauderdale Florida and paid last weekend:
6829 for the bike
175 freight
189 document preparation
452.76 sales tax
95. Tag and title.

Not sure if I could have haggled lower, but honestly I don't care too much. At least I can now ride it rather than just dreaming about it.

I'm happy

2009 Versys Green
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 11:28 AM Thread Starter

Insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by dFRESHb View Post
I'm in ft lauderdale Florida and paid last weekend:
6829 for the bike
175 freight
189 document preparation
452.76 sales tax
95. Tag and title.

Not sure if I could have haggled lower, but honestly I don't care too much. At least I can now ride it rather than just dreaming about it.

I'm happy
Thank you for sharing...

I lived in FLD and loved it, that was back in 2001, Coconut creek area...

Who do you have insurance with and how much per year if you don't mind sharing ?

How do you like your versys so far ?

I can't wait for the weekend, I think after I get it will ride straight to Daytona to break her in...

Regards...
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

Free Bees

With regard the Versys in specific, what is a typical free item that is usefull and rasonable to ask for...

My last bike was a cruiser, I got the dealer to throw in a windshild and that actually was the best thing that ever happened, if you own a cruiser, a windshild is a must...

This time around, I already have a helmet (blue) but it works, summer jacket, winter jacket, gloves...

Ahh, maybe I can ask for a cheap tank bag or rear seat soft bag...

It just feels nice when presenting the bike to friends to say, "oh yeah, that came with the bike..."...

Loving it...
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 12:46 PM

The air in the tires comes free...
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 01:08 PM

If it's green buy it! I paid $6,400 out the door in July in CO, then $360 in sales tax to license it. If you can swing the deal and the price works, buy it and start riding. Breaking it in with a ride to Daytona for Bike Week is worth something. I fly to Daytona tomorrow and can't wait.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 02:13 PM Thread Starter

Dairyland

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVNET View Post
Well,

The insurance quote is helping my decision as well...

I currently have Geico...

My last bike, 800cc Cruiser, $205/YR

2008 GSX650F $680/YR

2009 Versys $399/YR

I have to shop around for insurance as well, but I think the difference will remain the same...
Called Dairy land, for the 650F which seems to be the more problematic...

$104/YR with just the basic FL state reqirements.

$280/YR with comprehensive that only cover stolen/vandalized, no collition.

$960/YR for Full coverage...

I heard of AIG insurance, do any body knows them ?

I still need to call state farms, any other sugestions ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode