ABS or not ABS? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-10-2008, 08:02 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
ABS or not ABS?

Hi,

Looking at buying a Versys and have a couple of issues that you may be able to help with.

Firstly, do I go ABS or not? I have had some advice against, however, the demo bike that I rode had ABS and seemed ok. Any thoughts?

The other issue is the screen. The possible options are either the givi screen or the Kawasaki vario screen. I have to say the vario seemed to work well on the demo but does not look the best. Anyone tried both?

Cheers

E
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-10-2008, 12:25 PM

I'd have to say that if we could get it here in the states, ABS would have been something I would have payed extra for and I'm sure many on here would agree.

I also say that I just took a 700+ mile trip with the Givi screen and wouldn't be without it for traveling. It was silky smooth the whole way and damn comfortable.

Oh and welcome aboard. I'm guessing you're from the UK?
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-10-2008, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enemy Zero View Post
I'd have to say that if we could get it here in the states, ABS would have been something I would have payed extra for and I'm sure many on here would agree.

I also say that I just took a 700+ mile trip with the Givi screen and wouldn't be without it for traveling. It was silky smooth the whole way and damn comfortable.

Oh and welcome aboard. I'm guessing you're from the UK?
+1

Welcome to the site.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-10-2008, 06:54 PM

I like ABS but not on all bikes. I owned a 2004 BMW R1150RT and hated the ABS it was so sensitive that during parking lot maneuvers if you lightly touch the brake you hardly have time to get a foot to the ground. The ABS on the Goldwing works just like a car and you never know it is there. I am sure ABS is a wise decision since it prevents the wheels from locking during emergence stops(hard braking). I would like it myself if it was offered here in the USA. I would however advise you to ride both and make your own decision since I have no idea how the ABS responds on the Versys.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 04:17 PM

I have ABS on my R1200RT. Awesome.
If Versys ABS is anything close, BUY IT.

2008 BMW R1200RT
2008 Kawasaki Versys
2002 BMW R1150RT
2002 Suzuki VStrom DL1000 (Gone)
2002 Harley FXDWG Wide Glide (Gone)
2002 Harley 883 Sportster (Gone)
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 04:47 PM

I do think ABS is a good idea for bikes but I think I would have to make the same decision that I made with my sports car purchase and that is without ABS brakes. In real world applications non-abs WILL stop faster than ABS brakes, argue if you will. I understand that it is an extra level of precaution but my personal preference is that I want to decide when/if my brakes lock up, and for how long for controllability purposes. Also, i don't do a lot of off road riding but ABS breaks SUCK offroad and the dangers can far outweigh the benefits.

Sorry but for me, no way on ABS.

PS - Plus it adds weight.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 07:05 PM

On my F650GS, there was a switch that you could press that would shut off the ABS for off road applications. I must say there were a few times that the ABS definitely worked well for me.

I don't know if the Kawasaki ABS has an off switch or not but it was a great feature on my BMW.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 09:23 PM

Not to argue with Nexxus, who's allowed his opinion, but for clarity.
On the "Wee" Strom 650 ABS adds 10 lbs, exactly the same weight as a center stand.
The Wee has an ABS disable switch for off road.
I would assume the Versys will have the same.

Lastly, the benefit of ABS (bike or car) is not stopping distance, it's the ability to control the machine. From AAA:

"ABS can actually lengthen stopping distances on some surfaces, such as loose snow, dirt, or gravel, because of effects that occur during locked-wheel skidding that are unique to those surfaces.

The importance of ABS to you as a driver is that it helps you to retain control of your vehicle during a maximal braking effort. Without ABS, if you brake hard enough to lock your wheels, you will not be able to steer the vehicle, and the vehicle may skid sideways or spin around"

Just watch these video's:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Zv3Sacl7JQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3d6iu...eature=related

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?...eature=related

However, I believe you should ride with what gives you the most confidence.
I personally can only speak for ABS on my R1200RT and it's 1000% more controllable in a panic stop.
I have had instances when I went into an all out panic slide on Non-ABS bikes and it is very difficult (if not impossible) to control. I have done it, but I would trust the ABS before I'd trust my ability to control it 100% of the time.

Choose for yourself.

2008 BMW R1200RT
2008 Kawasaki Versys
2002 BMW R1150RT
2002 Suzuki VStrom DL1000 (Gone)
2002 Harley FXDWG Wide Glide (Gone)
2002 Harley 883 Sportster (Gone)
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 10:33 PM
Super Moderator

I would've got it if it were available...

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-14-2008, 12:27 AM

Who hasn't come around a corner to find a surprise and had to make a panic stop. This is where ABS pays off. Lost a buisness associate who was on a trip with a friend, had lead and lost control coming around a corner and finding a deer, his partner had abs and came home.I would have opted for ABS if it was available.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-14-2008, 05:47 AM

ABS or not ABS

A view from the UK
Have ABS on my V not used it in anger yet (and hope not to) but hope it may get me out of trouble in the future.It seems quite sensitive and I have felt it come on (back brake)once or twice on loose surfaces and once when practicing moderatly heavy braking, no probs tho.

The Versys ABS model does not have a switch,so on permanantly I guess this is because bike is not designed to go off road, so need to disable not thought an issue.
Cheers from accros the pond

Twohoots
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-14-2008, 05:11 PM Thread Starter

Cheers Guys.

I am tending towards the ABS but still have some slight reservations.

No chance of me ever going off road and I don't really see that as part of the bikes function so no probs on that score. I still remain a bit worried about some of the stories that hard braking causes an over sensitive system to kick in too early. That being said, I had no problems on the demo.

E
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode