Dual-Star Heated Grips - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 06:56 AM Thread Starter

Dual-Star Heated Grips

A question for you guys.....
Even though the instructions tell you to wire it in to a voltage controlled circuit, do you see any problems with hard-wiring it to the battery...other than the obvious of accidentally leaving it on and the subsequent battery drain. I put an in-line 5 amp fuse in....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 07:19 AM

Up early, Mr. B. I think your "obvious" potential issue would be your primary concern. Leaving them on would not drain your battery as fast having a set of headlamps burning, but consider that you use heated grips when it's cold, when your battery is challenged. Being able to start your bike becomes a bigger deal. Turn the grips (and your driving lights) off every time and no problem. Leave them on and...maybe no problem, but maybe.

Would now be a good time to install a relay controlled fuse panel? You could wire your heated grips and driving lights through it. Turn the bike on, those devices are available. Turn the bike off, those devices shut down. Next time you have an electrical farkle to installb (GPS, power port, etc.), you've already got the fuse panel there.

Today's forecast is for 3 to 5 inches of snow, so you're not riding. Time's on your side. Food for thought, redline.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 07:42 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
Up early, Mr. B. I think your "obvious" potential issue would be your primary concern. Leaving them on would not drain your battery as fast having a set of headlamps burning, but consider that you use heated grips when it's cold, when your battery is challenged. Being able to start your bike becomes a bigger deal. Turn the grips (and your driving lights) off every time and no problem. Leave them on and...maybe no problem, but maybe.

Would now be a good time to install a relay controlled fuse panel? You could wire your heated grips and driving lights through it. Turn the bike on, those devices are available. Turn the bike off, those devices shut down. Next time you have an electrical farkle to installb (GPS, power port, etc.), you've already got the fuse panel there.

Today's forecast is for 3 to 5 inches of snow, so you're not riding. Time's on your side. Food for thought, redline.
I know, I know....you're right, time is on my side and you're correct about the relay / fuse panel. But I can always add it later...... BTW.....did I tell you I'm SICK OF THE SNOW?!?!?!?!?

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redline View Post
I know, I know....you're right, time is on my side and you're correct about the relay / fuse panel. But I can always add it later...... BTW.....did I tell you I'm SICK OF THE SNOW?!?!?!?!?
Your friendly neighbors from Connecticut say " Word! "
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 08:54 AM

You are going to eat your words if you wire it direct to the battery. Yup, it works, and there will come that dark day when you walk out in the rain and from across the grocery store parking lot, you will see you heated grips steaming in the rain, and realized you left them on for 45 minutes while you stood in line at the deli trying to get them to slice your turkey thin enough.

I stuck dual-stars on all my bikes, and the Versys is the easiest. That switched red tail light tap is just waving at you back there!

I did, for the first time, use the Eastern Beaver switched harness on the Versys. That was worth every penny. Either way, spend just a little more time and wire it switched!
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicken Little View Post
You are going to eat your words if you wire it direct to the battery. Yup, it works, and there will come that dark day when you walk out in the rain and from across the grocery store parking lot, you will see you heated grips steaming in the rain, and realized you left them on for 45 minutes while you stood in line at the deli trying to get them to slice your turkey thin enough.

I stuck dual-stars on all my bikes, and the Versys is the easiest. That switched red tail light tap is just waving at you back there!

I did, for the first time, use the Eastern Beaver switched harness on the Versys. That was worth every penny. Either way, spend just a little more time and wire it switched!
Boy, do I feel like a fool. You were soooooo right. Problem is, is that I didn't even make it out of the garage. I was "testing" the grips, when the wifey called me in for dinner, and proceeded to forget {me...no way...} to turn the d**n things off!!!! Looks I'll be re-wiring it this wekend......shoulda, coulda, woulda but didn't.........................on a side note, it seems as though they take a long time to warm up, and when they did {engine running at about 2K}, it didn't feel as though they got all that warm........????? I'm going to put my digital therm on the grips this weekend to see just how "hot" they get.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 06:40 PM

Geez, dude, ya didn't have to confess it here in front of 600 Versys riders! It's ok, you will fix it. Now, they won't seem really hot until you get the rpm's up. I know your weather is bad, but if you could sneak around the block at higher rpms, I am sure you will be pleased. Also, your throttle side will heat up quicker than the clutch side. Throttle tube doesn't suck the heat like the solid metal clutch side. It will even out. FYI, I rarely have mine on high. They really cook on low at interstate speed.

Last edited by Chicken Little; 02-23-2009 at 06:43 PM.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redline View Post
..on a side note, it seems as though they take a long time to warm up, and when they did {engine running at about 2K}, it didn't feel as though they got all that warm........????? I'm going to put my digital therm on the grips this weekend to see just how "hot" they get.
They do take a while to warm up since the cold bar sucks up most of the heat at the start, especially in New England in February, but once they get going they get plenty warm. I've had three sets of heated grips on three different bikes and they've all cranked out some BTUs to my otherwise frozen digits.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 09:22 PM

do these things just mount under the grips and then theres a toggle switch to turn it on and off? I guess I'm ignorant, I've never seen these before. It looks like a cheap alternative to the other ones I've seen.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 09:40 PM

Cheap, maybe. Work, for sure. Under the grip, dual filament control.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 07:09 AM

I'm thinking of getting a set of these. They come with a hi/lo/off switch that would look pretty integrated if I can find the right spot to put it.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 08:05 AM

Vitesse- those are the dual-star grips. I think Symtec is making them all. Dual star offers a toggle switch standard, with a rubber cover to waterproof it. I have had both the rocker and the toggle switch control. I think the toggle is easier to use with gloved hands. I am frequently switching the rocker switch to high, instead of off.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 03:18 PM

That's good to know. Thanks!

My only complaint about the toggle is that it's just such an eyesore, but that's a good point about ease of use with gloved fingers. What to do, what to do.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitesse View Post
That's good to know. Thanks!

My only complaint about the toggle is that it's just such an eyesore, but that's a good point about ease of use with gloved fingers. What to do, what to do.
There's a black rubber boot available that screws over the toggle switch. Looks better, improves the feel with gloved hands, and I think it cost an extra $4 when I ordered the heated grip kit.

http://www.dual-star.com/index2/Ride...d_grip_kit.htm

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 07:58 PM

Yup, the toggle helps in the looks department. I will go back to it on the next bike. I really want a lighted switch, but I couldn't find a two way one at Radio Shack. I end up kinda feeling up the dash in the dark, looking for the switch.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
There's a black rubber boot available that screws over the toggle switch. Looks better, improves the feel with gloved hands, and I think it cost an extra $4 when I ordered the heated grip kit.

http://www.dual-star.com/index2/Ride...d_grip_kit.htm
Yippee! Problem solved--I'm sold! Thanks everybody!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode