The bike show in Greenville - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 12:16 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
The bike show in Greenville

And they had some bikes too!

It was a really good first showing for the event in Greenville after being moved up from Atlanta. I wasn't expecting the turnout to be so large, but the place was packed. The test ride slots for all of the manufacturers that participated were filled early this morning. I wish now that I had gotten there in time to get in on a couple of those, especially the Ducati rides. The lady at the Kawa tent told me that the Versys has been getting a really good reception at all of the shows. I talked to one guy that owned a monster cruiser and that had ridden the Versys because it just happened to be available when he was signing up. He was blown away by its performance and said that he was going to seriously consider selling his cruiser so that he could get his own V. Two other bikes that I hadn't sat on before but really liked were the Kawa 6N and the Suzuki Gladius. If I could get the touring farkles for either of those bikes that I can get for the V, I might be tempted to switch my allegiance. The naked bikes are obviously getting more popular, and for good reason - they're fast, cool, and economical. The Gladious looked and felt really good, with the exception of the seat. It was really thin and felt uncomfortable from the moment that I got on the bike. The 6N was similar in feel and appearance to the V, but more naked and with a lower profile. It felt a lot like my 500 Ninja - maybe a cross between it and the V.
Of course there were a lot of killer customs, of both the chopper and tricked out sport bike varieties. I think that Harley probably had the biggest display, but all the manufacturers had a good showing. I'm not into riding either cruisers or choppers, but I really like them as art objects. The thing is though, they're too heavy to pick up by myself if they tip over on a rarely traveled road, and they're too damned heavy to hang over the fireplace.

Let's see somebody put some Givis on that one and ride it from Prudhoe Bay to Ushuiai... I wonder if it has grip warmers?

Lots of vendors and lots of really good bargains as well. I picked up a killer pair of gauntlets for $40 that usually cost nearly $100. I came close to going back in to nab the set of heated Gerbing riding gear, but tore myself away before giving in. The best deals seemed to be on riding jackets - I could have picked up some terrific armored textile jackets for well under $100.

Surprisingly, the food was good, though expensive. Nathans Dogs, half pound Angus burgers, pizza, beer, all of the goodies.

I expected to see a lot more young sport bike riders, but I'd guess that at least 70% of the folks in attendance were over 50. The Ducati in the top photo was without a doubt the most popular bike at the show - there was a long line of old guys with cameras hanging out around it all day long. Imagine that!

I have some more pix from the show on my site at http://griztrax.net/backroads/BikeShow09/Show1.htm .

I'm looking forward to going back next year. It was better than I expected.

That's the 6N in the pic above, with a green V barely visible over to the right. The 6N is a wicked looking little road rocket, eh?

Last edited by VeeWNC; 02-22-2009 at 12:25 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 11:19 AM

Thank you

Thank you for the report, I surely do appreciate your efforts... Great show.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 05:01 PM

I went to the show yesterday. It is about 1 mile from my house. I was able to get three demo rides in. I rode the Versys, FZ6, and Yamaha TMAX. I currently ride a 2001 Honda Shadow ACE 750. I have really been wanting to get either a Versys or a WeeStrom. I really loved the power of the Versys. That thing is fast. It was not quite as comfortable as I had hoped. I am not really used to my legs being that cramped under me, but I guess I would get used to that. The FZ6 was cool but just too buzzy. What really suprised me was the TMAX, that thing is awesome. I had so much fun on that thing and it was super comfortable. I loved being able to move my feet around while riding. It had great wind protection. I also liked the fact that my helmet would fit under the seat.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 11:39 PM

I rode my Versys to the show from Columbia (and got asked about it quite a lot in the parking lot). I didn't like the riding position of the ER-6N as much as the Versys for commuting. That chick on the Ducati in the Italian aftermarket booth was probably the only actual booth babe I saw all day (the actual Ducati chicks were fairly snooty, as is proper for hot expensive Italian things). Seeing the Desmosedici RR and the M1 in person were my personal highlights (obviously I like MotoGP), but overall the show was great, and I'll definitely go again next year.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 07:17 AM

+1...But when I was there Sunday the Ducati chick on the bike had on too many clothes!!! I will try to post some photos tonight, but it looked like most everything has already been posted. The Honda Fury was pretty nice for a chopper....pretty comfy riding position for a chopper.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by sharrison56; 02-23-2009 at 07:20 AM.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 08:49 PM

I was there all day Saturday. I enjoyed watching all the people trying the new V's (only difference I could see besides the colors was the front brake lever/master cylinder assy was streamlined now) in the Kawasaki area.

Most people couldn't "figure it out" whether they tried it single or 2 up and the tall seat was a challenge for many. The Kawasaki reps seemed to stay away from the V's too-I think they missed a great opportunity.

I rode up the back roads to Greenville from Charleston, and everywhere I stopped (it was very cold Friday morning on the ride up and very windy Sunday on the ride back so I ended up stopping more than I had planned) people asked about the bike.

It was a great ride and the show was better than I expected with something for everyone.

A2ron
Charleston, SC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode