A little help for a new guy? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 05:57 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
A little help for a new guy?

Howdy, I am trading my '08 KLR 650 and a little cash for an '08 Versys and I'd like to know what to look out for. Both bikes are in great shape, but I was wondering if there are any particular items on the Versys that I should be aware of. It has 7000 miles on it, my KLR has 4400. Private party trade.
Also, I've been using Rotella T in the KLR, how does that work in the V?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 07:03 PM

no real issues..the fairing will buzz a little, easily fixed, that's about it
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 07:25 PM

You'll probably notice a bit less in the way of aftermarket parts. Other than that the bikes are spot-on.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 07:28 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, I was mostly just wondering about mechanical issues because "you don't know what you don't know"!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 07:48 PM

Check out the engine mounts to ensure they aren't cracked. Do a search on this forum to see where to look. The solution is adding washers as necessary to fill the gap.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 11:34 AM

Rotella and the V play just fine together.

Montani Semper Liberi
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 11:53 AM

Got 14k miles on mine-flawless so far. Done 4-5 oil changes use semi synthetic. Getting to the end of my second set of tires. Added the following;

Twinshack Hugger
Givi TopRack & 35box
Throttle Rocker
Throttle Lock
Speedy flat foot
Speedy Mirror extenders
12volt gauge
TomTom GPS
Dowco soft bags
H&B crash bars

Best, most fun bike I've ever had. Great for touring-two up moteling, or one up camping. Great in the twisties, one fun machine.

Machog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 12:26 PM

Yea shim the front engine mounts if needed. When I loosened the front engine mount bolts to install my Hepco Beckers bars I had gaps between the frame and the bushings/engine on both sides. It was more on the right side (two washers) than left (one washer) on mine, and I used washers on the engine mount bolts to fill them up so when you torque them down it is a more even pressure on both sides of the frame. Otherwise one side is pulled in more creating undo pressure on the frame, possibly creating cracks in the welds in the frame next to the front engine mounts. I've only read about 1 V that had a cracked frame weld so far.

Check your bike out for cracked welds in that area for sure. Perhaps the last owner already took care if it, if needed. Easy fix and doesn't take much time. You'll need a torque wrench.

I was looking at the KLR when I bought my V, decided I wouldn't ride in dirt that much. Haven't looked back since, it was the right decision for me.

pmac
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by max buffet View Post
... I was wondering if there are any particular items on the Versys that I should be aware of....
There was an issue on the engine support bracket (frame cracks) on the older models sold in Europe.

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...read.php?t=239

I have an older 2007 model and did the washer mod but as far as I know, so far no bikes sold in North America reported any problems on this forum

Check the tires wear, I changed mine at 9000 miles so at 7000 miles you might be looking for a new set fairly soon. The front wheel is 17in so you will be able to put almost any sport and sport-touring tire but you will have a more limited choice for dual-purpose tire.

Remove the seat, look to see if the Vinyl cover as not started to rip

Look at the mirrors, make sure that they are ok. Once you purchase the bike, you should re-ajust them and use a thread lock on the internal bolt in the base once you have a good setting... but I guess that you already know that since you have a KLR 650.

The Versys might look as a new bike but most of the bike components were introduced many years ago on the ER6 series in Europe. The bike is very reliable.

Charles Leblanc
2007 Versys
Givi Windshield and side case
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 05:15 PM

Ya know, having a look around the sellers garage can sometimes tell you alot. How do their cars look, how is the floor of the garage, any fresh oil sitting around. It is good to buy a bike from somebody with a couch or chair in their garage- it means they spend a fair amount of time out there- a good sign.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 08:05 PM Thread Starter

Excellent advice! This is exactly the kind of info that I was looking for.
Thanks, all!
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 08:35 PM

There has also been a comment or two about the cooling system leaking. Chase that up as well. It's related to how neatly the coolant pump sits against the motor. Somebody has got a pretty terrible photo of their's leaking, but most don't seem to have a problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode