Versys in Los Angeles??? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 02:05 PM Thread Starter

Versys in Los Angeles???

Hello,

I am seriously considering buy a versys... I sat on the bike and the height was a little big higher than I am comfortable with.

Is there anyone in Los Angeles that has a versys with the lower gel seat on it? I would love to sit on one with that on it to see if that solves the problem for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 05:04 PM

I have a green one for sale in the SFV, but no low gelseat. 1000 miles softbags Mikes windshieldSW, motech rear rack with trunk and cycra handguards. Your wecome to check it out. Mike
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chyatt View Post
Hello,

I am seriously considering buy a versys... I sat on the bike and the height was a little big higher than I am comfortable with.

Is there anyone in Los Angeles that has a versys with the lower gel seat on it? I would love to sit on one with that on it to see if that solves the problem for me.
I lived in LA for 5 years...with only a bike (1980 Suzuki 750). The Versys is PERFECT for freeways and splitting lanes. You want to sit high to see what's going on. I'm jealous right now...Southern California and motorcycles!

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 07:58 PM

How tall are you? The bike is tall but its light. Its not like your going to drop it if you can firmly get one foot on the ground. After you start commuting on So Cal freeways you will love the extra height.

ST1300, Versys, SV650S
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 09:17 PM Thread Starter

sitting high

Thank you for the replies... I was at a dealership today and I sat on the versys again... i think you are right about the value in sitting a bit higher. I can get both balls of my feet on the ground... or one flat and one toe.. can't get both flat but im not sure thats really all that important.

Seems like a very comfortable bike... the guy at the dealership told me that the gel seat isn't very comfy anyways. I considered the monster 696, the sv650, the ER-6n.. i even sat on the 650R today.. My instincts are telling me the versys is the way to go for me. I will be using the bike as my main transportation, I will also want to go on the occasional long distance ride and I want to be able to have fun in the canyons as well. Im not sure there are any other options that are gonna be good for all three of those needs??

Any thoughts guys?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 07:13 AM

There is a lowering kit available but it does change the
bikes geometry and reduces the suspension travel.
Many here have gone that route but it lowers the
rear more than the front and a tech friend advised
against if for me.

I'm about 5'8" and found the V a little tallish but
sent my seat to Spencer in FL for a rework. He
returned it in one week after recontouring and
lowering and adding Supracor for increased
resilience and control.

The mod gave me enough extra room to raise
the shock setting back up to gain additional
turning clearance and I feel the $75 was
well worth it. And the process is reversible
if you ever change your mind or sell the bike.

I have to back the bike up before getting on
and have learned to mount by stepping on
the left foot peg but once my weight (about
200#) is on the bike is low enough for good
control.

The high seating is something that, once
adapted to, is a very refreshing perspective
and actually allows aggressive cornering
before anything touches. If you do that
sort of thing...
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chyatt View Post

Seems like a very comfortable bike... the guy at the dealership told me that the gel seat isn't very comfy anyways.
I find the Kawasaki Gel seat WAY better than the stock seat. If I am going to be sitting on the V all day I put the Gel seat on.

ST1300, Versys, SV650S
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 10:51 PM

Hey there, chyatt -

I'm in the LA area and I've only recently bought my green '09 Versys - 3 weeks ago. Just finished the breaking in period, and I've got to say this bike inspires confidence around LA traffic that I never had in my previous bikes: BMW F800S, Kawi z750s, Ninja 500, or V-Strom 650.

I used to regularly travel to Beverly Hills / West Hollywood / Hollywood area, so you know how crazy it is around there. This bike, with it's instant torque makes short work of lane changes and opportunities to split.

I've also noticed that my riding style is different on this bike and a lot of that has to do with the riding position. It's aggressive in a certain way but not like a regular sportsbike. Just this weekend I noticed this. I was in Huntington Beach and it gets pretty busy around there, too. There were a bunch of sportbikes there, of course, and I noticed how poorly they negotiated traffic at slow speeds. They didn't have torque on command and the riders weren't able to see everything going on due to their poor vantage point, being hunkered down on their mounts. Meanwhile, I comfortably surveyed the whole situation on my Versys.

The other thing with the Versys is how much confidence you get for performing all kinds of maneuvers that are much more difficult, if not impossible, on a typical sportsbike. I go over curbs all the time in my Versys - that's something I would have never done in my f800s. I do U-turns on a dime if I see that parking spot open up on the other side of the street (while being very careful, of course).

That seating position makes you feel amazingly confident in urban situations. You're just so much more able to respond to anything in the environment.

I've been reflecting on how much of a balance was struck with this bike. The weight is perfect for me. It's light weight, but not too light that it can't tour on the highway. It's a great engine without being too strong (and therefore too heavy & prone to get you into trouble). I love to go fast as much as anyone, but I don't need to go faster than 120mph so I haven't ever wished that I bought a Bandit 1250 instead of my Versys.

The Versys really puts the 'fun' in functional.

It's also so eager to be customized. Just this weekend I installed heated grips (heated sheets that tape to the bars) over my choice of green grips for a very comfortable and custom look. Also installed the connections for my heated Gerbing gloves (I like my comfort). Also installed my SW-Motech removable racks for my GIVI PLX35 sidecases. Point is - this bike begs to be made your own. So many options, so much fun, so much versatility...

I have never had so much fun riding as I have with the Versys - and I love riding just about any bike.

I could go on for days... but you should get one and find out for yourself!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 06:15 AM

One question. Where do you ride around OC that you need heated gear? The mountains? I don't use any heated gear until it gets to below 35F.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 09:15 AM

Hey Steve,

I like to tour and have been to the Grand Canyon and environs several times, so it gets cold sometimes. I prefer heated gloves to heated grips anyway, but just like to have all options available. Yes, the mountains are also another place where the heated grips come in handy (!) especially when I don't want to wear those bulky waterproof heated gloves.

I don't have your tolerance for the cold... I'd have the gloves on in the 40'sF. Although I'm a weather wimp it doesn't keep me from riding because I'm totally set for everything/anything. Next on my list is a heated seat - oh, and some of those 70/30 onroad/offroad tires!
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 09:56 AM

My wife lives and works in Glendale and I find that there are a lot of weather wimps in the LA area. We have friends in OC and Manhattan Beach and they are all pretty funny when it gets cool. I would really like to do the Grand Canyon sometime!

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!

Now I have four!

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 07:43 PM

You know, I don't own a car and depend on my Versys for every transportation need I've got, so I'm comfortable being a weather wimp. It doesn't affect my riding or not here in SoCal. My Versys gets me my groceries, takes me & the girlfriend all over, and can carry surprisingly large items when properly secured - and as of this weekend it's got heated grips and my Gerbings are ready at a moment's notice when desired so I'm just liv'n the life.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 08:55 PM

I envy you! That 25 this morning was just too cold to get suited up for a 20 minute ride to work. It isn't a problem if I am going out for the day. I am trying to get the wife to let me park one in her other parking space in Glendale, but she isn't budging.

Steve

Now I have four!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode