seeking help with gps... - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-24-2013, 09:57 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
seeking help with gps...

Hello,

May be you have heared about/ used the viamichelin.com road planner. it is the only planner that have the option of motorcycle AND discovery/scenic roads...
I used it to plan for my europe trip this summer and I got also the navigon for my iphone...the think is that the import function in viamichelin does not really reproduce the route in navigon...so my question is how to reproduce manually the same route I get in viamichelin? waypoint is fine but does not always help ....for instance sometimes viamihelin choose a tunnel road instead of a regular road and there is no city in the middle to mark as waypoint...

any thoughts??
thanks!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-25-2013, 01:48 AM

I don't know Navigon, but probably there is the way to set a "point on the map" instead a town.
Anyway, there are softwares that allow you to draw a road trip and export it in a format compatible with most gps devices such as Tyre or ITNConv.

Nobody thinks that something is so easy like who is totally unable to do it.

Kawasaki Versys 07 Orange
Ex Aprilia Pegaso 96 Blue
Ex Suzuki DR 350 91

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-25-2013, 02:42 AM Thread Starter

thanks
I already tried the conversion and stuffs but it when I open it on navigon it is a bit messy...I think I will have to do it manually ...which is not easy for a 10000km trip :s but it is accurate and I still have three months before the trip lol

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-25-2013, 07:48 AM Thread Starter

it was not as tiring as I have expected already covered 1500 km of the trip this Navigon is really a gem! not only you can create detailed route on your iphone but also you can save it and save a backup in you email! it also has the wiki story for most of the places in europe couldn't be happier with this app I just need to ensure that the iphone does not overheat during the trip ...

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-25-2013, 09:30 AM

Garage
Purificator

I understand that you will be using an iPhone on your trip, right ?

If so, will you have to subscribe to a mobile/data plan in europe for your gps to work ?
Can the iPhone gps work even if their's not cell tower close (hence no phone service) ?
And finnaly, even tough I think I know the answer, if no cell tower close, does it mean no data either ?

LOP
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-25-2013, 09:45 AM Thread Starter

I understand that you will be using an iPhone on your trip, right ? YES! :P

If so, will you have to subscribe to a mobile/data plan in europe for your gps to work ? NO. ALL THE MAPS OF THE 44 COUNTRIES ARE ALREADY DOWNLOADED IN MY PHONE (AROUND 2Go of DATA) SO ALL WHAT I NEED IS TO ACTIVATE GPS ON MY IPHONE.
Can the iPhone gps work even if their's not cell tower close (hence no phone service) ? YES EVEN WITH NO CELL COVER IT CAN WORK AS LONG AS THE GPS FUNCTION IS ACTIVATED SO THAT YOU RECEIVE THE GPS SIGNAL.
And finnaly, even tough I think I know the answer, if no cell tower close, does it mean no data either ? AS I SAID ABOVE NO NEED FOR CELL COVER, CELL DATA OR ANYTHING EXCEPT GPS SIGNAL WHICH IS TOTALLY INDEPENDENT FROM THE CELL SERVICE...
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-26-2013, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purificator View Post
it was not as tiring as I have expected already covered 1500 km of the trip this Navigon is really a gem! not only you can create detailed route on your iphone but also you can save it and save a backup in you email! it also has the wiki story for most of the places in europe couldn't be happier with this app I just need to ensure that the iphone does not overheat during the trip ...
Well done!!

Will you be in Italy?

Ex Suzuki DR 350 91

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-26-2013, 01:23 AM Thread Starter

YES!! a tour in europe without visiting Italy is not possible for me! :P

coming through the south east of france (Nice, Monte Carlo, etc) I will be arriving to Genoa..then all the costal way to pisa (including parks) then moving to Florence and surrounding areas..then up to Venice...then Italian Alps (including dolomites and bolzano area)
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-26-2013, 01:38 AM

Quote:
YES!! a tour in europe without visiting Italy is not possible for me! :P

coming through the south east of france (Nice, Monte Carlo, etc) I will be arriving to Genoa..then all the costal way to pisa (including parks) then moving to Florence and surrounding areas..then up to Venice...then Italian Alps (including dolomites and bolzano area)
Very nice tour

Ex Suzuki DR 350 91

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-26-2013, 10:38 AM

Garage
Quote:
I understand that you will be using an iPhone on your trip, right ? YES! :P

If so, will you have to subscribe to a mobile/data plan in europe for your gps to work ? NO. ALL THE MAPS OF THE 44 COUNTRIES ARE ALREADY DOWNLOADED IN MY PHONE (AROUND 2Go of DATA) SO ALL WHAT I NEED IS TO ACTIVATE GPS ON MY IPHONE.
Can the iPhone gps work even if their's not cell tower close (hence no phone service) ? YES EVEN WITH NO CELL COVER IT CAN WORK AS LONG AS THE GPS FUNCTION IS ACTIVATED SO THAT YOU RECEIVE THE GPS SIGNAL.
And finnaly, even tough I think I know the answer, if no cell tower close, does it mean no data either ? AS I SAID ABOVE NO NEED FOR CELL COVER, CELL DATA OR ANYTHING EXCEPT GPS SIGNAL WHICH IS TOTALLY INDEPENDENT FROM THE CELL SERVICE...

Thank's

But why are you yelling at me ?

LOP
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-26-2013, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

haha! not at all, I wrote in capital letters so that you distinguish easily and quickly the text of your question from the text of my answers

the only think I'm yelling now is "EUROPE! HERE I COME!!"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode