Newbie Here - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 07:05 PM Thread Starter

Newbie Here

Howdy gang! Newbie here -- to this site that is.
I have a 2007 Kawasaki KLR-650 and a 2002 Kawasaki Concours (that I have ridden to Alaska and back, among other places) and also a Triumph Thunderbird with a side-car. Spiffy bikes, all of them, but I am having a powerful hankering for the Versys.

As you can tell I am a dyed-in-the-wool Kawasaki supporter and love their bikes because they are a) practical b) bullet-proof c) run great d) priced-right
e) "get 'er done!" So the next logical bike would be the Versys!

From the 1st time I saw it I knew it would be good and I can't say I was surprised that it won the Motorcycle of the Year! (I guess it is surprising in a sense, since it seems MOTY usually goes to liter bikes etc..)

I was sort of considering ramping down on the bikes and maybe trading the Connie in for the Versy's though the Concours is a great bike -- and still hauling buns after 40,000 miles. The problem is that I am a little concerned about the Versy's only being a 650. I think it's supposed to have 60+ horsepower (far more than the 39 the KLR has) but it is still a far cry from a liter bike -- and the comfortable power that comes with that.
Any input?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 07:56 PM
Super Moderator

Looking at your stable, I think the Versys will fill a void there, the "light, fun, flickable, twisty-gobblin', turn-me-into-a-hooligan" bike that seems to be missing. Not sure if it'll replace the Connie, but it's a great bike in it's niche. Good luck!

Welcome aboard!

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 08:27 PM

Versys will not replace the Concours but as a solo bike it has plenty of power. Concours is much more of a road bike for power and comfort. See if you can ride a V first. The 650 has more power than the last two cruisers i have had. At least usable fun power. 1600 classic i traded in was not near the fun in the curves but long haul loaded it is more comfortable. Just figure out what your needs are. 650 would eat a bigger cruiser alive for power. Versys has it in the right zone to use. I just didn't have fun on the huge cruiser for my type rideing. Concours was a great road bike that never got the attention it should have.

Yamaha Secca II
1600 Classic-sold
08 Verseys
1986 Corvette

Life is not a practice run. Enjoy each and every day.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 10:35 AM Thread Starter

I think you're both right -- the Versys is not really a good replacement for the Connie, but I may just slow down on the touring for a while -- so who knows?
One other consideration I had was that I had a Yamaha TDM-850, that I put about 40,000 miles on but I have no fond memories of that bike. It was a lot like the Versys (almost looked similar too) and was a parrallel twin. It sounded awful without slip-ons and didn't sound much better with them. After trying to rejet, it developed a huge flat-spot that could never be ironed-out!? Anyway that was a Yamaha -- and I am no fan of that brand. I have full confidence that Kawaski is getting it right this but the memories of that Yamaha parrallel twin are cause for pause.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 11:36 AM

I had the same engine in the ninja 650 R and is a really good strong pull with no flat spots at all. Is why i bought the Versys but i will say if you are looking for a great sound you better ride one. Is different but quiet like i would rather have. My K 75 BMW was the same way. Not the best sound but then i had a good sound and sold the 1600 classic. May not be the sound for you. I have got over the sound thing. Now if you mean engine sound then no problem. If it is exhaust note then ride one first. Engine has little noise. I will say this parallel twin pulls harder than any older type i had such as the Triumphs. Quite an engine i think. I love it.

Yamaha Secca II
1600 Classic-sold
08 Verseys
1986 Corvette

Life is not a practice run. Enjoy each and every day.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 12:06 PM
Super Moderator

Thumbs up

IMHO, the "V" goes like stink, and the exhaust sound is GREAT! Kind of like the 'snarl' you get from a Vette or other hi-po vehicle when you're on the gas.
Cheers,
Ed
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 12:07 PM

You can't compare the performance of the KLR and the Versys. Both great bikes, but opposite ends of the spectrum.

Below 80mph, the Versys won't disappoint you, even coming off the Concours. Its a pocket rocket-go for it.

Machog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 07:24 PM

i think you will find that with a few mods , the V is every bit as much of a long touring bike as the connie was...i sold my 1150rt to get the V...after a seat rework , windshield change, buell footpegs, engine guards with highway pegs it's the cat's meow!! i did those same changes to my rt and was never as happy with it as i am my V....
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 08:42 PM

I actually prefer the Versys over my old Connie for touring, but then I never ride 2 up. Accelleration performance is pretty similar and the handling is better on the V. I dunno, It comes down to personal preference I guess but I would agree it would be good if you could take one out for an extended ride prior to purchase.

Jeff in Illinois
07 Bandit
03 KLR
82 Rokon
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 08:46 PM

I like the Versys because it's tall with a short wheelbase like a Buell Ulysses. It's styled like a Ducati or Aprila. It's a twin. It's as good an adventure tourer as the BMW GS800. And it cost thousands less than any of those bikes...and it's comfortable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg d.jpg (83.1 KB, 48 views)

Last edited by motorcyclist; 02-19-2009 at 10:02 PM.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 10:09 PM

Traded my BMW r1100gs of 14 years for the V.
Never been happier although had to adapt to different riding style compared to the BM.

the V is what it means "Verstatile System" as we are are Versatile people.

Ride Fast and Safe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode