Is it dangerous or harmful to not have a front fender? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-22-2013, 06:24 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Is it dangerous or harmful to not have a front fender?

I got hit about a couple weeks ago snapped my pegs and front fender as a result and the bike was out of commision for a 2 weeks. Anyway fixed my peg up and took the old broken plastics that were still attached off. Something happened... I really like the versys with no front fender. I have a new one but i'm thinking i don't want to put it on. Any risk of running it like this?

Picture if interested: 20130422_174736(1).jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-22-2013, 06:33 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Without the fender Your gonna get a lot of pebbles and crap hitting the radiator. As well as when the roads wet its gonna get nasty. So maybe get a Radiator Guard and a Pressure Washer.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-22-2013, 06:42 PM Thread Starter

Hm don't know how I feel about the rain bit. I'm a daily rider and I get caught in the rain quite a lot. So will the rain come splashing upwards in my direction or what? Maybe I should just put it on..

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-22-2013, 07:16 PM

I had none on my bobber...and never had any issues. That said, it was a sunday ride bike and it's never seen rain or gravel/dirt...

If you stay on the road, I wouldnt worry too much about it.

As for the rain, yes it will be a mess hehe specially when turning the front wheel

Last edited by Kawa007; 04-22-2013 at 07:40 PM.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-22-2013, 08:07 PM

As documented in another thread, I'm one of those unlucky riders that got an on-road gravel chip bounced up between the fan and the radiator, resulting in the fan motor burning out. That made me a believer in the fender plus the Fenda Extenda...which extends the rear of the fender a few more inches to keep stones out of the engine area. Price a factory fan or radiator - it will shock you. You can find alternatives and make them work of course, but I'd rather avoid the whole problem again.

Someday is not a day of the week.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-22-2013, 08:23 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawa007 View Post

I had none on my bobber...and never had any issues. That said, it was a sunday ride bike and it's never seen rain or gravel/dirt...

If you stay on the road, I wouldnt worry too much about it.

As for the rain, yes it will be a mess hehe specially when turning the front wheel
Nice looking ride. I'm guessing you don't have to worry about puncturing the radiator though.

My Versys Travels:

post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-22-2013, 09:41 PM

I would think your cross-over brake line is a bit vulnerable now.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-22-2013, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
Nice looking ride. I'm guessing you don't have to worry about puncturing the radiator though.
Is that bobber, water cooled, in the first place?

Current : Maroon 2011.
- Fender Extender - Radiator Guard - 19mm Nissin radial master - Nissin 4-pot caliper - SS brake lines - Osram Hyper 65W both low/high beam - LED 30w aux floodlights & 3w DRLs - Rear Hugger - Givi crash guards - Yoshimura TRC Carbon - Dynojet PC5 - Scottoiler - R1 shock with Ohlins 14.2 kg/mm spring - Imitation Givi Windshield - Rear Givi rack with 24ltr Givi top box - Bosch dual tones - Z800 stock mirrors.

Up next :
- Protaper SE ATV Low - PIAA Platinum low
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-22-2013, 11:09 PM

I wouldn't do it, but it certainly gives the bike that really naked, industrial look. An end of the world, ride all over look. Pretty cool actually.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-22-2013, 11:49 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Beside splash and debris shield function, you need the front fender to secure the brake lines and keep them away from the spinning tire.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-23-2013, 03:40 AM

I'd be surprised if there weren't registration/licensing issues - and you'll get covered with crap thrown off the front wheel!

FarRider#89; IBA#45911; Versys 650 ABS 2015; Triumph Tiger 900 ('93).
Newcastle Australia
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-23-2013, 05:42 AM
MTS

Even if you ride on nice days only on good pavement.

You are going to get crap thrown off the tire!

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-23-2013, 08:17 AM

Like to think the fender acts like a lower brace for the forks.
Mostly will be pelted by rain water and pebbles on the radiator and oil filter.

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-23-2013, 09:32 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
beside splash and debris shield function, you need the front fender to secure the brake lines and keep them away from the spinning tire.
+1

lop
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-23-2013, 08:18 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewhtf View Post
Is that bobber, water cooled, in the first place?
Maybe I was being sarcastic

My Versys Travels:

post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-23-2013, 09:27 PM

It was air cooled indeed But still, if you don't ride in dirt or gravel, there shouldnt be much stuff flying off the wheel
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-23-2013, 10:08 PM

Removed the fender on my Sportster and there was a constant stream of dust thrown up in may face that a fender normally stopped. It looked very cool but just not worth it. Chopped the front fender on my DR650 and the same thing happened. Leave it on.
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-24-2013, 12:58 PM

you're on a gravel road in the picture
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-24-2013, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memismo View Post
you're on a gravel road in the picture
If you're talking about my picture, no, it's an old asphalt country road.
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-24-2013, 05:33 PM

Nice job on the Bobber Kawa!

"The Road Goes On Forever And The Party Never Ends"
IBA #23562

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode