IXIL silencer - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-09-2008, 03:04 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
IXIL silencer

Just some info for any one thinking of a IXIL silencer
While versys in for service very nice dealer gave me a demo versys with this system fitted for the day.
the sound from this silencer is very low spent most of the day up and dowm the gears just to here!!!!!
Very good when blipping the throttle on down changes dose get U noticed
by cars
Would like one but 300 fitted is a bit much i think but U never know may save some cash and treat my self
Only possible down side need a few more revs when setting of or bike tends to stall,Dealer said it gave more mid range but unable to confirm that as demo bike had only done 500 miles still a little tight
still thinking of the sound it made missed it when i had to give it back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-09-2008, 05:23 PM
Super Moderator

Was this the single pipe or the double? How loud was it while riding? Baffles in or out? Hows that for playing '50 questions'??

post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-10-2008, 05:47 AM Thread Starter

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear on a bicycle View Post
Was this the single pipe or the double? How loud was it while riding? Baffles in or out? Hows that for playing '50 questions'??
Hi there yes it was a single pipe called XTR3M i think
you could here it above the traffic and also i have ear plugs in still sounded loud to me.
baffles were in not street legal when out only for race track police keen round here with bikes thay have a hybuser as a police bike unmarked which is very nice of them.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 02:15 AM

Here is a link to a you tube video with the dual Ixil cans, man does it sound sweet!!! I was thinking of getting this one, but I think I will go with the Two Bros unit instead, sound pretty fookin good and knocks 9lbs, 5oz off the weight!!!!! Nice, easier wheelies...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1-IlHlGEDhY

Here is a link for the Two Bros exhaust..

http://youtube.com/watch?v=4eH53VNBesk&feature=related

Sounds pretty damn good to me!!!
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 04:50 PM

Am I correct in the assumption that IXIL no longer makes the twin can setup? Too bad if thats true...it would be my first choice. Second is the Scorpion, then the 2 Bros. This is by sound only.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 05:35 PM
Super Moderator

I'm with you on the IXIL twin cans. They look & sound great...

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-08-2008, 04:57 PM

Does anyone know where to buy Ixil products in the US? Thanks
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 02:56 PM

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-23-2008, 04:32 PM

Quick question re aftermarket exhausts: Why spend money on them when they only seem to screw up your air/fuel ratio and sap your bottom end? We made the choice to buy a bike tuned specifically for low and midrange power so why mess it up with an aftermarket exhaust? Most every unbiased review I've read about them shows that with most you actually lose power or screw up power delivery, unless you take the extra step and cost of jetting or adding a power commander. Unless you're going to the track where top end performance and dropping a few pounds of weight really helps, it seems to be a better investment just to add a power commander and leave the factory exhaust as is. After all, manufacturers pay highly skilled teams of engineers good money to set things up right at the factory. And if all you want to do is drop the weight, go on a diet. You'll save some dough, end up with a lower centre of gravity when you ride, and you're pants will fit better. Just for interest, check the exhaust review in the March 06 issue of Ride Magazine http://www.ridetriangles.com/ Click Product Tests and then Exhausts.

Last edited by kawifan; 09-23-2008 at 04:35 PM.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-23-2008, 04:40 PM

How about...

1. Sounds cooler
2. Looks cooler
3. Way lighter
4. DOES increase power - with the remap, as noted.

These are not Harleys, but they are motorcycles. If it were entirely about utility we'd all be riding around on Chinese scooters.

I'm calm like a bomb!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-23-2008, 04:51 PM

Nice reply. To be honest I'm considering the Scorpion or Two Brothers exhaust with a Power Commander for the reasons you mentioned. But my question was an honest one, the aftermarket systems really do seem to give limited benefit for what they cost.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-23-2008, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty View Post
How about...

1. Sounds cooler
2. Looks cooler
3. Way lighter
4. DOES increase power - with the remap, as noted.

These are not Harleys, but they are motorcycles. If it were entirely about utility we'd all be riding around on Chinese scooters.
Well said Lefty !!!!!......i like #1 the most !!!........
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-23-2008, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawifan View Post
Nice reply. To be honest I'm considering the Scorpion or Two Brothers exhaust with a Power Commander for the reasons you mentioned. But my question was an honest one, the aftermarket systems really do seem to give limited benefit for what they cost.
Not true, for the V anyway. Do some digging around and use the search feature. A fellow member named Shawn fitted a slip on only, no other mods or mapping. Peak torque was reached several thousand RPMs sooner than stock, and it stays up there just a tad longer than stock too. You get about a 10% boost in torque down low.

I've fitted a TBR slip on and it's great. You can really feel it pulling down low. Wheelies come much easier. The sound is super. Haven't noticed any issues. Mileage is the same.

If I were to do it again, I'd probably order the Arrow full system. Nothing wrong with the TBR can I've got, it's top notch, but the Arrow is a better value, and I'm thinking of ordering the Arrow headers anyway.

Luke
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-23-2008, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukejt View Post
Not true, for the V anyway. Do some digging around and use the search feature. A fellow member named Shawn fitted a slip on only, no other mods or mapping. Peak torque was reached several thousand RPMs sooner than stock, and it stays up there just a tad longer than stock too. You get about a 10% boost in torque down low.

I've fitted a TBR slip on and it's great. You can really feel it pulling down low. Wheelies come much easier. The sound is super. Haven't noticed any issues. Mileage is the same.

If I were to do it again, I'd probably order the Arrow full system. Nothing wrong with the TBR can I've got, it's top notch, but the Arrow is a better value, and I'm thinking of ordering the Arrow headers anyway.

Luke

Not before I get mine you dont!

Oredering them now!

2007 Versys Black, V35 Bags, H&B Bars, Skidmarx Hugger.Fender Ex., Avon Distanzia, Braided Lines, Hella 65W bulbs Arrow Can, DNA Air filter, GIVI tall screen (for winter), PCIII, Baldwin Saddle. **SOLD**

2011 KTM SM-T. Crash bars, E55 Top Box, Fender extender front and rear.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-23-2008, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post

Not before I get mine you dont!

Oredering them now!

Right on brother. You'll be concerned about the sound for about a week, or 4 good rides, which ever comes first. After that you won't give a darn anymore.
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-24-2008, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Quick question re aftermarket exhausts: Why spend money on them when they only seem to screw up your air/fuel ratio and sap your bottom end? We made the choice to buy a bike tuned specifically for low and midrange power so why mess it up with an aftermarket exhaust? Most every unbiased review I've read about them shows that with most you actually lose power or screw up power delivery, unless you take the extra step and cost of jetting or adding a power commander. Unless you're going to the track where top end performance and dropping a few pounds of weight really helps, it seems to be a better investment just to add a power commander and leave the factory exhaust as is. After all, manufacturers pay highly skilled teams of engineers good money to set things up right at the factory. And if all you want to do is drop the weight, go on a diet. You'll save some dough, end up with a lower centre of gravity when you ride, and you're pants will fit better. Just for interest, check the exhaust review in the March 06 issue of Ride Magazine http://www.ridetriangles.com/ Click Product Tests and then Exhausts.
Ditto, spend the money on good luggage and getting the suspension setup properly. The bike will handle 100% better, and you will be faster than before.

If you want a hot rod, buy an RR. With little money in mods you will get almost double the HP.

If you ride because its "cool" and want a loud bike because its "cool" then get a Harley. Chicks will be all over that.
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-24-2008, 09:53 AM

To each his own.

If you ever manage to remove the stock exhaust for any reason....take a good look at it. Feel that bad boy. Compare it with a stock bike exhaust from just a few years ago, or an exhaust from a dirt bike. The V's stock exhaust is very well built. It is also restrictive and really HEAVY. It's like a chunk of lead hanging under the bike robbing your bike of smile inducing torque and a mean growl while under way.

Like a broken record, I don't want an RR or another liter bike. I wanted a comfortable, light weight and practical street bike that you ride like a dirt bike, not a supermoto or a dualsport, already got one of those. I know full well I could have picked up a more powerful, faster bike. That's not what this is about. It's about THIS IS MY BIKE and I'll do with it as I please.

I've already got the luggage, and after a few clicks the suspension works GREAT for me. I love my TBR exhaust, it's made the bike a whole lot more fun to ride, FOR ME. I prefer the additional power, the beefy sound, and the weight lost makes up for the Givi E21s, which I could not live without.

I don't care what some magazine who tested cans on ONE already super highly tuned race bike thinks. It's just one guy trying to prove his point. I've read similar articles where a host of bikes (3 to be exact) were tested with completely different results. Post up a similar article featuring the Kawasaki Versys and I'll take note. How about the before and after slip-on dyno Shawn posted here (please forgive me Shawn for reposting this image all over the forum);

Yes, you can feel the difference a slip on makes for the Versys. Is it worth it? That's for you to decide. Don't dis other riders or insinuate they're posers because they want their Versys to run better, lose weight and sound fantastic. You anti-aftermarket exhaust guys should start up your own thread instead of crapping all over every Ixil, TBR, Arrow and Leo discussion.

Luke
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-24-2008, 11:10 AM

Whoa. We're not necessarily anti-aftermarket exhaust, just think the claims made for them can get somewhat exagerated. As for Shawn's dyno results, most likely done at wide open throttle, right where most of us ride in traffic? and daily commuting?
And as for easier wheelies, just by removing the stock exhaust you're shaving about 10 lbs off the belly of the bike. Simple physics says you just moved the COG up and back so of course it'll wheelie easier. Ditto for having the bike feel snappier. Having said all that, if having an aftermarket pipe makes you smile, then that's all that matters. We all love to ride. Peace.
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-24-2008, 12:20 PM

Quote:
As for Shawn's dyno results, most likely done at wide open throttle, right where most of us ride in traffic?
Take another look at the Dyno sheet. The BIG torque gains are in the 4-6K RPM range.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-24-2008, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukejt View Post
Don't dis other riders or insinuate they're posers because they want their Versys to run better, lose weight and sound fantastic. You anti-aftermarket exhaust guys should start up your own thread instead of crapping all over every Ixil, TBR, Arrow and Leo discussion.

Luke
Nobody insinuated that, or called anyone a poser.
I just believe money can be better spent in other areas on this bike.

As for the dyno, I see about a 4-5 ft-lb increase that doesn't affect anything below 4000RPM and diminishes the closer to stock numbers the closer the revs get to 7200 RPM. And about a 3-4 HP gain. Am I missing something with this graph?

I don't see big gains anywhere. But if you want to spend almost a grand for a full exhaust and PC and tune job for 4 ft-lb. Then have at it.

I took that route with my last bike, only I picked up 15 HP, and 10 ft-lb of torque throughout the rev range.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode