From a dealer's lips--We don't sell Versys - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 99 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 05:27 AM Thread Starter

From a dealer's lips--We don't sell Versys

I stopped in at Greenville Power Sports in Greenville, Tx the other day to check out the new colors on the Versys and was shocked to find not one on the floor. After inquiring about when they will be in, I was told that the Versys was not a popular item and they have no intention of getting any in, but they would "special" order one for me if I paid for it up front. When I told them that I currently owned a Red 2008 V and was looking toward buying one of the new Green ones they looked at me like I had a screw loose. Needless to say, I'll never darken their doorway again.

Has anyone else had this experience with a Kawasaki Dealer?

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 99 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 05:33 AM

I hope to get my green one this week from Aiken Motorcycle in SC. and they have one blue on the floor, it is the first one they ever had. The owner said she missed the boat because she did not think they would sell.

81 Honda CB750F with Jupiter sidecar, 82 Honda CB750F, 86 Yamaha Radian, 87 BMW K100RS, 2002 Honda XR 200R, 2007 Suzuki Bandit 1250, 2009 Green Versys, 2010 Kawasaki Vukcan 900 Custom
post #3 of 99 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 06:03 AM

Actually, I had a similar expirence at a local dealer in the Houston area. They said it was a very un-popular bike. However, during a recent trip to Texas hill country, I saw many, Tigers, Versys, V-Strom, and Multistrada type bikes. I really think these are more of a 'geographical' bike even though they perform well in many circumstances. One dealer still has a '08 from August, 2007 left that he refuses to discount.

'I use my cigar smoke as idiot repellent'

Yeah, that’s a statistic sample size of 1, category “anecdotal evidence”, but there it is.

"You just got killed by a Daewoo Lanos motherfu#&er!!" -Red, from Pineapple Express.

post #4 of 99 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 07:13 AM

Send a message via MSN to joshmedley
I'm from western kentucky, and it took me two months to get my v. It's so popular in this area that the bike was scarce and FDR honda kawasaki coudln't keep them in stock. They had a waiting list.
post #5 of 99 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 11:25 AM

just curious...some of you have a red V now but want a blue or green one....why not just paint yours and save the money....we all know you take a loss on a trade in or resale....
post #6 of 99 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 11:43 AM

Kawasaki and the motorcycling industry in general does a very poor job of marketing and bringing in new riders. (Honda maybe the exception with its CBR 125.)

For me the Versys can replace the car on many day trips. Oodles of storage, works well in the city/highway, and easiest balance at low speeds of anything I've ridden. Rather than just going after existing riders I could see this bike well marketed attracting new riders since besides the huge fun factor, this bike is very practical. I think this has also been a contributing factor why the bike has won so many awards. A bike with storage, zip, and weighs under 400 lbs.
post #7 of 99 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 12:16 PM

Send a message via MSN to joshmedley
After crushing my knee cap on one leg last year, and having replacement on the other weight was a big issue with me. Knees were a result of excessive abuse from age 5 to 22 playing football and baseball, and then collegiate baseball. with all my givis on i do have trouble getting on and off as the knees don't like the extreme bending, but hopefully installing speedys lowering bracket will help in the next day or two. it should be marketed better...it is my commuter, and paid for itself quickly when diesel was close to $5 bucks. as i normally sport an f250 quad cab.
post #8 of 99 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 12:52 PM

When I got my bike here in AZ, it was the only Versys available at any of the dealerships... however, the dealer seemed to love the bike, and... they were talking about not being able to wait to get more of them in...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 99 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 04:20 PM

Send a message via MSN to demuire Send a message via Skype™ to demuire
The dealership near my house (Australia) has had one since early 2008 (built in 2007, like mine), and has not been able to sell it (even after taking $2000 off the RRP). That said, the dealership I got my ex-demo from, which is about 2.5 hours from my house, has sold more than a dozen of them. I think it's definitely a geographical thing...

My dad in Malaysia is thinking of getting a Versys and apparently the waiting list is more than a month...
post #10 of 99 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 05:12 PM

Friend I ride with, owns a Kawasaki dealership in Mid-west and sells nearly one a month. He can ride any bike he wants, other brands included and he nearly always rides his Versys.

I have never seen an Ad for one-apparently Kawasaki don't do much advertising, not of Versys or KLR for that matter.

Machog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 99 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 05:42 PM

Send a message via MSN to demuire Send a message via Skype™ to demuire
Kawasaki in Australia only really seem to promote bikes that are either sports bikes (ZX-6R etc), commuter bikes (ER6n etc) or dirt bikes. All the Kawasaki promotions (discounts, test ride days, free stuff etc) revolve around these bikes, since launch early last year in Australia the Versys has not had any promotions associated with it...

Bit unfortunate really... But I suppose the Versys isn't really a "mainstream" bike, even though I think it's quite capable of being one. It's not as cheap as an ER6n, not as fast as a ZX-6R, not as good in the dirt as a KLR650, and costs about the same as a Z750 - which is an infinitely more popular bike - here in Australia anyway...

~
FookStar

2008 Kawasaki Versys (in green!)
Queensland, Australia

Last edited by demuire; 02-18-2009 at 05:45 PM.
post #12 of 99 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasdon View Post
Has anyone else had this experience with a Kawasaki Dealer?
Yes. It is a clear reflection of ignorance and lack of interest in bikes that seems to have become common amongst motorcycle dealers—especially Japanese bike dealers. The fact that many of these places remain in business defies my imagination.
post #13 of 99 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 06:10 PM

lol what a stupid dealership bring one or two in for stock they will sell.. it may take more than a month but someone special will come in a kick over the ER6 and any KLR in the way to get to this bike.

Working to make it my Streetfighter
V
post #14 of 99 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 09:19 PM

When I bought my 08 last August my local dealership couldn't get any more in than the 3they had. I had to go to Portland (Oregon), and I got the second to last one they had. Two other buyers were looking at it when I was, I just beat them to the "I'll take it" words.

I think you either really like the looks of the V or you don't. It's a different looking bike (which is part of the reason I like it) from what the US market is used to, which for the most part is sportsbikes or cruisers, at least where I work. Europe seems to get a broader range of bikes than the US from what I see (they get all the cool stuff). With the traditionaly higher gas prices over there I think there is a more diverse rider population. I may be all wet but that's my take.

If the people that are on the fence about the looks of the V could ride one they would be hooked as all of us V owners seem to be. It's like the Moty article said, "it's more than it appears to be" or something to that effect, and thier right.

pmac
post #15 of 99 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 09:20 PM

When I bought mine in Houston at the end of last year as a left-over, the salesman said that Kawasaki had really pumped them up on the V but they just hadn't sold as they were promised. The leftovers were from their original allotment.

Down here Cruisers and Sportbikes are huge, everything else is small potatoes.
post #16 of 99 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmac View Post
When I bought my 08 last August my local dealership couldn't get any more in than the 3they had.
Was it Eugene? If so, I got #2.
post #17 of 99 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 10:43 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeezix View Post
Actually, I had a similar expirence at a local dealer in the Houston area. They said it was a very un-popular bike. However, during a recent trip to Texas hill country, I saw many, Tigers, Versys, V-Strom, and Multistrada type bikes. I really think these are more of a 'geographical' bike even though they perform well in many circumstances. One dealer still has a '08 from August, 2007 left that he refuses to discount.
Skeezix,
Go back and blow cigar smoke in the face of that asshat dealer...!
Ed
post #18 of 99 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 12:36 AM

The MidAmericaMotoplex is a large dealer (Yamaha, Kawi, Honda, Schwinn Scooters) here in Sioux Falls SD and they refused to carry a Versys, I got the same "if you wanna make a down payment" speech. I went 32 miles into Minnesota to Luverne Kawasaki and picked mine up. The dealer said he sat on it a while but thought it was great bike. He also said he was surprised the Kawi had no intentions of marketing the bike in a mass media format. So there you go...
post #19 of 99 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 06:01 AM

When I bought mine last June in Fairburn, GA it was the only one they had and the dealer didn't know very much about it. This dealer also sells custom choppers, but they liked the V. But like several of you have mentioned most of the sales activity is sport bikes and cruisers. I have a Kawasaki, Honda, Ducati, Guzzi, Yamaha, Aprilia dealer and a Harley dealer within two miles of my house so we get a lot of bike traffic on the weekends. Most of the bikes I see around here are sport bikes and cruisers. I can usually hear the cruisers when they leave the dealer's lot.

The only V I ever saw at the Kawi dealer here was in the service lot when I had the 600 mile service done (I have done all the other maintenance) and when I took it in they asked if I had bought it there.

When I first got it I got a lot of questions at light and gas stops by even cruiser riders. It will be interesting to see if I get the same this year when the weather gets better.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!

post #20 of 99 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 06:15 AM

If I were a Kawasaki dealer with the MOTORCYCLE of the YEAR available I'd push the hell out of it . I'd have demos ,promos,and plenty of accessories ON DISPLAY !!!
What are they thinking ????

Last edited by Zammy; 05-03-2013 at 05:13 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode