Riding with the Music on - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 06:49 PM Thread Starter

Smile Riding with the Music on

G'Day V Bikers,

Not sure if its legal in the States, but this is to share how I enjoy my ride.
Had used a Sony MP3 player previously but found this is better.
The Nokia E71 allows me to receive phone calls while riding plus I can control/toggle my music selection on the go.
This makes riding extra enjoyable.

* I don't work for Nokia or any communications service provider.

Best Regard, Ride Fast and Safe.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0364.jpg (585.5 KB, 123 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 07:00 PM

I have the Scala FM - it works, not true stereo though. But it is wireless, which is why i choose it. I'm waiting for a bluetooth that works with an MP3 player and phone at the same time i have my Garmin on.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 07:16 PM

No tunes for me. When I'm riding, I focus on the ride. But that's just me.

A few months ago I talked to a retired trucker who put on MANY miles per year. When I asked if he had a great radio to help pass the time, he said he didn't listen to anything becasue he knew how crazy drivers were and wanted to stay focused.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 08:31 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by atgatt View Post
No tunes for me. When I'm riding, I focus on the ride. But that's just me.

A few months ago I talked to a retired trucker who put on MANY miles per year. When I asked if he had a great radio to help pass the time, he said he didn't listen to anything becasue he knew how crazy drivers were and wanted to stay focused.
X2!!!
Ed
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 08:55 PM

Send a message via MSN to demuire Send a message via Skype™ to demuire
I use an Autocom intercom. Talk to pillion, answer phone, listen to music, and if I ever got a Zumo (I want one!) hear navigation instructions
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 11:37 PM Thread Starter

The beauty of a forum is we all tend to agree/disagree.
However and Most importantly is an exchange of views, experiences and information.

Safety is paramount and all that matters in the end.
In my humble opinion, Safety is a state of Mind awareness and a Culture.
Having being a oil tanker seafarer for a long time and now in the oil and gas sector, Safety is a never ending pursuit.

Lastly, I think Moderation is key to everything we do. That includes the music in our ears....

Ride Fast and Safe.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 06:44 AM

I have a Chatterbox XBi. It works really well with the Zumo. It is stereo and works with the phone (although I have only received one call when riding and that was my son helping me test it). If I ever do get a call when riding I plan to pull over. Actually the phone is paired with the Zumo and not the XBi. That way I can see who is calling before pulling over.

The helmet speakers work pretty well, not the best sound, but with ear plugs it sounds much better. The ear plugs eliminate the wind noise so that you can actually hear the music.

Whether you listen to music or not the main thing is to watch out for all of those people that aren't looking out for you!!! I passed a women the other day that was driving in the middle lane, talkning on the phone and trying to read a map...needless to say she was using all three lanes!!! Got the hell away from her!!!

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 07:32 AM

I never thought I'd even enjoy listening to music while riding, which I've long viewed as its own special buzz. Some friends in the ST community (which has lots of gadget heads) changed my outlook. I was surprised to learn that some of the guys whose riding skills I had grown to admire most listened to music while riding. When I got a zumo I tossed some tunes on an SD card to check it out. I've found I really enjoy music much of the time. Just like the GPS, however, there are times when it's more fun to turn it off. I've worn ear plugs for years so ear bud speakers serve a dual function.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 03:50 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
I never thought I'd even enjoy listening to music while riding, which I've long viewed as its own special buzz. Some friends in the ST community (which has lots of gadget heads) changed my outlook. I was surprised to learn that some of the guys whose riding skills I had grown to admire most listened to music while riding. When I got a zumo I tossed some tunes on an SD card to check it out. I've found I really enjoy music much of the time. Just like the GPS, however, there are times when it's more fun to turn it off. I've worn ear plugs for years so ear bud speakers serve a dual function.
Me too.

I started riding with music a few weeks ago. I was a little worried about being distracted, but it's a non-issue. And like you, there are times when I stop the music & ride with the ear buds still in. Does a great job at blocking the wind noise!

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 04:26 PM

Send a message via MSN to demuire Send a message via Skype™ to demuire
What ear buds do you use? I've tried a few, and none of them work anywhere near as well as "proper" ear plugs...

~
FookStar

2008 Kawasaki Versys (in green!)
Queensland, Australia
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 05:12 PM

I use the Etymotic Research ER 6i. They reduce the wind noise quite well. Wish they had a little more bass but am very pleased with them.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 05:30 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by demuire View Post
What ear buds do you use? I've tried a few, and none of them work anywhere near as well as "proper" ear plugs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by siyeh View Post
I use the Etymotic Research ER 6i. They reduce the wind noise quite well. Wish they had a little more bass but am very pleased with them.
Bingo!

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...highlight=er6i

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 06:46 PM

Rick, I noticed you're a Spurs fan. Remember Mario Elie? When he was an undergrad at American International College, I was the yellow jacket mascot for the basketball team.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 06:59 PM

Quote:
+1 here! I ride with an iPod and Sony fontopia buds...they do a great job of blocking wind noise.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 06:59 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Rick, I noticed you're a Spurs fan. Remember Mario Elie? When he was an undergrad at American International College, I was the yellow jacket mascot for the basketball team.

Yep! He seemed like a real good guy! I think he's coaching somewhere (Dallas??), but I'm not sure.

So you were a mascot, huh? That is cool!

post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 12:42 PM

Is it a jinx?

Some of my favorite tunes to listen to when I'm riding are the songs by the Crash Test Dummies...

I rarely ride multi-lane highways if they can be avoided. Life is too short to be spent as a hood ornament on a Peterbilt. If I do find myself forced to hit the slab, the music is off and the senses are set to full tilt boogie.

I started riding in the late 60s when I was 16. The first bike that I rode was a 180 Honda that my 6'8" buddy had tricked out with a carpet-covered board for a 'low-rider' seat, a broomstick across the frame for highway pegs, and an upturned vacuum cleaner pipe for upswept exhaust - hey, choppers were cool and we were impoverished high schoolers. Did I mention that it only had front brakes? I moved from that to a 124 Allstate - briefly - and then on to a variety of BSAs and Triumphs. Great bikes and with the sound of a British 650 twin growling through the Carolina mountains, I had all the music that was available on bikes at the time. I always thought that it would be incredibly cool to be able to crank up some Hendrix or the soundtrack from Easy Rider while on the bike, but I had to wait another 41 years for that experience. The dream has come true! Best of all, I get to spend my time riding and enjoying the mountain scenery instead of sitting by the road fiddling with the balky carbs and lousy Lucas electrical systems that were the hallmark of the early Brit bikes.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 02:14 PM

These bud's are for you

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeWNC View Post
Best of all, I get to spend my time riding and enjoying the mountain scenery instead of sitting by the road fiddling with the balky carbs and lousy Lucas electrical systems that were the hallmark of the early Brit bikes.
Oh, talk about touching a nerve! Those Brit twins
were sooo cool. And so parts-shedding. Now you
got me thinking that I might be able to carry some
tunes without losing control... Ear buds? Really?
That's on thing the old Triumph 650 could do, give
you some back buds (the girls loved the vibration)

(And I just knew those buds was for ME!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode