Good Times Protection Plan? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 09:19 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Good Times Protection Plan?

I'm going to buy a Versys in a month or two and I am wondering about the Good Times Protection Plan extended warranty. I'm not a great mechanic, but can change the oil and do basic things. From what I have read the V seems pretty bullet proof. Are many folks buying the GTPP? if so what are you paying for it? I do plan on putting on a good number of miles and because there does not look like there is a mileage cap it might be worth it.

Let me know,

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 09:26 AM

Good Times Protection Plan?

Because the V has proven to be very reliable, I didn't opt for the extra protection and associated expense.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 09:33 AM

Forgetaboutit. Great way for Kawasaki to make a few extra bucks on ya.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 07:02 PM

This is going to be a loooong thread.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 07:12 PM

As I said in another thread on this topic, to me, it depends if you plan on putting on a lot of miles. If so, it's worth it. If not, no. End of thread.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 07:18 PM

How much is it? You planning on doing your own oil changes?
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 08:10 PM

Search eBay for these plans. You have to buy from an authorized Kawi dealer, but any authorized dealer can sell them and they're good at any authorized dealer. Some dealers set these up as buy it now offers on eBay and just fill orders when they come in. Margin is probably small for them, but so is the effort. Good for the buyer. Best price I saw for a 3 year extension when I looked last month was $355. LINKY Prices vary by engine displacement and length of warranty extension. YMMV

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 08:22 PM

Spend the money on hand guards, shields, heated grips, chain oiler, tank bag, new helmet etc. It will be far more useful endeavor.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 08:28 PM
Super Moderator

FWIW: when I got my '04 KLR 650 (at 236 kms, it'd been traded in) it came with 36 month additional warranty already paid for, so it was "free" to me. I've NEVER had it into the dealer, so it was worth what it co$t - NOTHING!!!
I've always believed that, in respect of extra warranty, the company that built it is willing to bet you it WON'T break, while you pay $$$ to bet against them - that it WILL break!
So, it's up to you - you pays your money and takes your chance...!
Ed
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 08:49 PM

I suppose it's a re-sale bonus to the next buyer... Still, with this forum and it's knowledge base, no real issues with the bike, and a reasonable amount of care, I would take the cash and farkle the &#@%%^ outta the bike. Be brave young soldier, dare it to fail!
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Bones, thanks for the link. Never thought of ebay for this. I agree with the general sentiment from the collective that they are generally a waste of money, but at $350 for 4 years I might just win that bet. I does not take much to go over $350 in repair bills, of course most times the damage is owner induced...

Steve
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 11:00 PM

I didn't buy it. You have to be careful too, because not all repairs will be covered.

DM
2009 Kawasaki Versys, "Dr Doom"
2009 Suzuki Burgman 650, "StormTrooper"
2003 Suzuki Burgman 400, "Yoda"

post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 11:43 PM

Thumbs up

call D&H cycle 888-553-3311 ask for Renea.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darcym View Post
I didn't buy it. You have to be careful too, because not all repairs will be covered.
Here's what it does cover: LINKY Scroll down for exclusions.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-08-2013, 11:05 AM

Aren't the exclusions the items it doesn't cover? This seems like a waste of money. After five years and a lot of miles an engine overhaul is probably regarded as a wear and tear effect rather than an actual factory problem. The comment about lemons propping up in year one makes sense. Rather spend this money on gear.

~you must be the change you wish to see in the world~Gandhi

~ride your heart out, that'll change something.~
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-08-2013, 11:18 AM
MTS

I opted out on GTPP, never looked back. I researched everything first.

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-08-2013, 10:23 PM

Re: Good Times Protection Plan?

Altough the Versys is a fairly reliable bike, I had two rather expensive repairs in a period of four years. I had to redo the fork seals ~$300 and the stator ~$400. Unfortunately they both happen after my two year extended warranty expired. Extended warranties are mostly an extended maintenace contract and most are not worth the money. However, if I had a longer contract I probably would have gotten my moneys worth. At $350 its a pretty low bet if it gives you peace of mind get it. If you think its not worth it youll probably be ok without it.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Motorcycle.com Free App
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-09-2013, 01:26 AM

I was on the fence about it, and just recently decided to buy the 4 year GTPP. Kawi advertises it for almost $700. A phone call to one dealer in Colorado found in an ebay listing offered it to me (I'm in CA) for $349. I brought that offer to my local dealer (with whom I have developed a relationship) and they gave me a price close to that.

I figure for the cost of about 4 hours of labor, spread over 4 years, it gives me added piece of mind at an acceptable price. Yes, this is a way for dealers and Kawi to make easy money. I also like the resale bonus. I also do lots of my own maintenance (which is allowable in the warranty) so I figure I save myself a bunch of money there. It all comes out in the wash as far as I see it.

2011 Imperial Red
Givi V46 / V35's SW Motech mounts
Skidmarx hugger Moto Werks bar riser
Mondo Motors LED Driving Lights
A little bit of road rash
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-09-2013, 06:23 AM

I bought it with my '09 Versys. I'm not impressed with my dealer. I bullied them into replacing my mirrors. I could have bought A LOT of darn mirrors with that money! My GTPP is good until March 2014 and the best feature for me is to give a buyer peace of mind should I sell.

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=22049

I'm no diplomat

Last edited by aka Yamadog; 03-09-2013 at 06:25 AM.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-09-2013, 08:43 AM

i kinda wish i hadn't bought it, the bike has given me zero problems and if the shop saw it with all my mods, they wouldnt honor it anyways

1997 KLR 650
2011 Halle-friggin-leuya Versys

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode