After market wind screen adjustment. - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 12:26 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
After market wind screen adjustment.

I bought the Kawi "tall" (not that tall) after market wind screen when I bought my V. After installation & riding for many miles I was disapointed that it directed the air flow directly at my face / jaw area peppering my face sheid with bugs, wind, noise. No way this was going to last, and I like the look of this windshield so it needed a fix. I decided to add some angle to the windshield in an attempt to push the airflow over my helmet.

I took a trip the local Home Depot and I bought two rubber gromets which I added to the bottom mounts to push the shield away from the cowling. These were in addition to the two bushings that came with the widshield. I also got some plastic 2" bushings which I sanded on the ends to fit the angle of the wind screen, then installed them on top. I bought some longer bolts for all four mounting locations that would handle the added bushings. I painted everything black, cause its got to look good.

The end result is the the airflow is now hitting the top of my helmet. It is not the result I was looking for but it is WAY better than it was. I may still buy the extender chingadero that mounts on the top edge of the windscreen to get that extra push over my helmet. Hopfully I can buy just that and not a whole other windscreen. I like the look of the shield better at the steeper angle also.

Oh yea, the V rocks! I dig this fricken bike!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gromets & Bushings.JPG (36.8 KB, 226 views)
File Type: jpg Side view.JPG (44.6 KB, 376 views)
File Type: jpg Front shot.JPG (39.4 KB, 186 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 01:35 AM

Nice job...Was looking at that screen with the vario attached from kawa...Think it would be better?

If I new what I was doing, I wouldn't still be working
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 02:10 PM Thread Starter

Yes, I think the vario would put the airflow overhead. I'm hoping I can buy just the top part. The screen by itself gives a wider cut of wind but not quite enoungh to push overhead. I'm 5' 10". I like the look better than a really tall windscreen.

Anyone out there like the vario?

http://www.kawasakivista.com/accesso...hp?page=versys

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmac View Post
I bought the Kawi "tall" (not that tall) after market wind screen when I bought my V. After installation & riding for many miles I was disapointed that it directed the air flow directly at my face / jaw area peppering my face sheid with bugs, wind, noise. No way this was going to last, and I like the look of this windshield so it needed a fix. I decided to add some angle to the windshield in an attempt to push the airflow over my helmet.
Right idea, wrong direction. Try removing the spacers from the top mount, so that the air is directed lower, not higher. The screen is short enough, so this will direct the air to your shoulders, reducing turbulence, noise and probably eliminate the need for that chingadera that is known as a Vario screen.

Works well on a Powerbronze screen with only 1cm spacer at the bottom mounts:

Gustavo
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 08:46 AM

I have the Vario screen and I'm extremely happy with it. It is the same basic screen as the one you have, pmac, but with the adjustable deflector added. I find it an ideal screen for hot and cold conditions. With the defelctor in it's lowest setting, I get enough airflow to keep me cool and without the buffeting, even at slow traffic speeds. For high speed runs and colder weather, the highest setting makes for a comfortable ride, no buffeting at all.

Barring that, Gustavo is right about directing the air flow lower, rather than higher to reduce buffeting in your case...

cheers
Dave
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 02:45 PM Thread Starter

Aim lower not higher eh, well shiver me timbers.

That seems the oposite of what it should be but I suppost it makes sense. What exactly does the deflector with Vario do to the air? Does it spread it out as it comes off the top of the screen?

Gustavo, I like the looks of the Powerbronze screen. How much & where did you get it?

Thanks for the education, pmac
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 04:11 PM

I got the Powerbronze screen from these guys in Michigan (they advertise on e-Bay). It's actually pretty cheap compared to other alternatives, and with the mounting mod, works really well (I wasn't so happy with the turbulence in stock position).

Gustavo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode