In case you're curious - wheelies - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-13-2009, 10:16 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
In case you're curious - wheelies

Note: I didn't find anything in the searches so hopefully this isn't against the rules, but if it is feel free to lock/delete thread. Disclaimer - I don't condone wheelies, especially on public roads.

Okay, I was pulling out from a side road and had to do it somewhat quickly to ensure I didn't interfere with a car traveling in the same direction I intended to go. I gave it quite a bit more juice than usual and I felt the front wheel get light and strange. I let off the throttle a bit and the front end settled. Took me a few seconds, but I finally realized that I had just performed a "wheelie", although I most certainly didn't mean to. (First time I have ever wheelied a motorcycle in 7 years of riding. Seriously. I'm telling the truth.)

There you have it - I can attest to the fact that the Versys is most certainly capable of lifting the front end off the ground. I know, not the best time to wheelie, but I didn't mean to. Now I have a pretty good idea of how much throttle I can apply.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-13-2009, 10:32 AM

In one of the first articles that Motorcyclist Magazine did about the Versys they have it popping a wheelie on the cover. That article was one of the reasons I bought the bike, not because of the wheelie but because of the display of torque, I don't ride fast but I like to ride hard and the V is right up my alley.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-13-2009, 10:34 AM

It feels good! ah!

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-13-2009, 10:53 AM

Wheelies are fun! 99% of mine are done offroad while riding a dirt bike, where wheelies are easy, generally safe, and quite useful. The Versys doesn't have the power for roll-on wheelies, but it isn't hard to do with a little timing between the throttle and loading/unloading the front suspension.

It's stupid to loft the wheel while in traffic, and it's always illegal on public roads. Still, when the road is deserted and the devil is whispering in my ear ....
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-13-2009, 11:12 AM

A good hard shift into second also produces unintentional lift off .
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-13-2009, 12:00 PM

A full throttle 1-2 and 2-3 shift always gets a little air between the tire and the road on my V. It's all good. I still remember getting pulled over on my RZ350 for wheelying in 1984; I swear I spent more time on one wheel than two on that bike! Of course wheelying isn't wise in traffic, but on a clear road I could care less whether it's legal or not.

Dave

2008 Versys, 2008 ZX6R, 2006 EX500, 2002 KLR650
2010 KTM 300XCW, 2007 KTM 200XC, 2006 KTM 200 XC,
2004 CRF250X, 2002 CRF150
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-13-2009, 12:14 PM

The same thing happened to me, (unintentional) on my demo ride. I owned a new bike two weeks later.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-13-2009, 02:11 PM

OK funny story, a week after I bought my bike (this is my first bike ever) I was in traffic with a friend and I stalled my bike when traffic started moving. I was still very green and freaked out popped the clutch and hit the gas. I had that bike at a 45 degree angle , screamed a bit thinking I was going to hurt my beautiful bike, I put the wheel back down and did the samething over again. I was just freaking out, all I wanted to do was get out of traffic and sit down for a minute. I left traffic came to a parking lot and had a bit of a calm down. My friend puts in behind me a just starts laughing at me. Then the cops showed up in a matter of 30second from pulling into the lot. . He wanted to know if I was alright and if I was blind because he was stuck in traffic right beside me . He watched the whole thing. He told me to be careful because he liked my bike and didn't was to show up at a accident scene

Working to make it my Streetfighter
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
V
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-13-2009, 02:19 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wK7GlzgG8bQ&NR=1

Check it out, the V wheelies just fine.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-13-2009, 02:55 PM

wheeeelee

I had to smile at your description of an accidental front end lift off,
it certainly gets your heart pumping no matter how many times you experience it, yahoo,,,,,,,,,,,,,
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-13-2009, 07:18 PM

Ive poped twice and both where accidental
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-13-2009, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by franklinstetler View Post
A good hard shift into second also produces unintentional lift off .
+1

Very first sprited ride after the "break in" was done??

I was acting like a dumbarse kid on a dirt bike again.

hehehehehehehehehe
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-14-2009, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by siyeh View Post
+1

Very first sprited ride after the "break in" was done??

I was acting like a dumbarse kid on a dirt bike again.

hehehehehehehehehe
Me, too!! I've had my Versys for about three weeks and have recently completed my version of the break in. A day or two after that I lifted the front by accident at a light and have now done it a few more times not quite by accident

Of the several bikes I've owned over the years, this funky little machine is the funnest bike I've ever owned, hands down.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-14-2009, 07:16 AM

Of the several bikes I've owned over the years, this funky little machine is the funnest bike I've ever owned, hands down.[/QUOTE

Right on Bro.... I never was one for wheelies but for me this one likes for me to pop the clutch a tad in second and ride it out.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 09:21 PM

I have one or two good wheelie stories. I learned to ride when I was in college and purchased 1/2 interest in an abused 1980 YZ-80. Awesome little bike. Anyway, I was at a dirt track one day trying to show off for my girlfriend. I whacked the throttle wide open and popped the clutch, getting the bike nearly vertical. Promptly, I slid right off the seat, but for some reason couldn't let go of the handlebars. Couldn't let off the throttle either, so the bike proceeded to drag me about a hundred feet until I was able to crash it into a small tree. I'm not sure how impressed she was, what with her rolling on the ground laughing her ass off at me.

Back Off! I'm Already Riding Way Beyond My Abilities.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 10:03 PM

Yeah, I have done one or two.. or three of those!
Fun stuff, but keep it safe fellas!

post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 11:09 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IkgpB6aZF8

he gets a little air....

08 Versys (Red)
Two Brothers Slip-On V.A.L.E. Exhaust
Two Brothers Juice Box
Arrow Headers
Motowerk Lowering kit w/Flatfoot
SW-MOTECH Crashbars/Engine Guards w/Hwy Pegs
SW-MOTECH mirror wideners
Rear Spool Sliders

~Comming soon~
Front Axel Sliders
Red LED Body Kit

1980 Kawi KZ1000 LTD
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 11:35 PM

Easy on the Vee

Roll-on wheelies are really easy in 1st - just hit the gas at about 3500 to 5000 rpm and look at the sky. In second, you need to slide back a bit to get your weight over the wheel. Note the guy in the video - he looks as though he has his butt on the passenger seat. Do that and it's easy to do roll-ons in 2nd if your legs are long enough. The Vee feels like a dirt bike when the front wheel is up - that's one of the few times that it feels like a dual sport to me. It has very good balance and easy throttle control.
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 11:49 PM

mine must be better than everyone elses cause I can keep it in the air in 4 gears without popping the clutch Ha Ha !
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 11:54 PM

Cool

just kidding but 3 gears is easy enough.and by the way avon distanzias rock the versys make it TRULY versatile!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode