Problems to Prepare for on Long distance run - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-12-2013, 09:48 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Problems to Prepare for on Long distance run

Hi All
I know there are some long distance riders on this group and wonder what kind of mechanical problems (if any) they've encountered with the versys on long distance rides. Anything that's considered a weak point? maybe spare part to carry? I know many things can "happen" but is there anything that is more common than others.
Thnks for any ideas to prepare for.

Cliff'
'08 Versys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-12-2013, 09:55 AM

Check your valves, lube your clutch cable... let 'er rip.

Only consistent complaint seems to be the occasional burnt stator.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-12-2013, 10:49 AM

Most modern bikes a pretty reliable, For long rides I consider some way to fix flat tires the most important piece of kit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-12-2013, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dct73 View Post
Most modern bikes a pretty reliable, For long rides I consider some way to fix flat tires the most important piece of kit.
+1
I'm too getting ready for 37 days tour in Europe in august and the primary things I looked after is an automatic chain lub and tire fix (I'm looking at using a tire on sealant), fresh engine oil 5w40 liquidmoly (the best in the world for me), brand new tires, checked the clutch cable and brake cable....versys engine seems bulletproof so normal maintenance should be fine

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-12-2013, 11:17 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dct73 View Post
X2 on the above, and IF your trip will be long enough, you might consider starting out with fresh tires (you can always re-install the take-offs later to get whatever miles are still "in" them). You 'doing' D2D?

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-12-2013, 08:27 PM Thread Starter

D2D is the plan, expect to put on new rubber and a new chain and carry some tire repair and odds and ends. This is my first long trip on a Versys so was wondering if there was anything on them that might be a weak point. Just don't like sitting along side the road
cliff
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-12-2013, 08:39 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Just in case.........http://www.kawasaki.com/ROK/Benefits.aspx

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-12-2013, 10:16 PM

- I had good luck in a 19 day/5600 miler last July... One flat rear tire which I plugged on the side of the road... I carried equipment to take care of that possibility.
- The one other thing I did... But didn't use... But was glad I had it... I strung a new clutch cable along side my regular clutch cable just in case it broke. It didn't... But I was glad to know if it had broken I could have had it replaced in no time.
- Carry an expanded tool kit. Lots of tips on what to carry can be found on the ADV forum.
- Refuel often. Don't wait until you're near empty to start looking for a gas station. On my trip I would refuel somewhere around 120 - 160 miles on the odometer... I let it slide a couple of times and was sweating bullets because of it. Thank goodness for a little station in DesMoines, NM.
- Take it easy. Some of my refills calculated out to 60+ MPG because I was in the 40-50 MPH range... soaking it all in.

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-13-2013, 01:34 AM

Hi, last septempber i did Montreal (Canada) to Tail of the Dragon(North Carolina) going by the Blue Ridge Parkway and such. Quite a crazy trip. Over 2800 miles in five 5 days.....Was riding at least 12 hours a day. I knew the V was a good bike. So i only brought some cable ties, chain lube (oiled every night), utility knife, some lenght of electrical cable with with solder, connectors, small torch and tape in case of an electrical failure, better tools than stock because they are too "soft", tire plugs and a small bicycle pump just like this one http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/bell-air...-pump/10035857. I was able to fit all that under the seat quite easily except for the can of chain lube!

Brad.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-13-2013, 02:03 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by genehil View Post
... I strung a new clutch cable along side my regular clutch cable just in case it broke. It didn't... But I was glad to know if it had broken I could have had it replaced in no time....Refuel often. Don't wait until you're near empty to start looking for a gas station. On my trip I would refuel somewhere around 120 - 160 miles on the odometer... I let it slide a couple of times and was sweating bullets because of it. Thank goodness for a little station in DesMoines, NM....
I carry a spare clutch cable under my seat, AND a one gallon gas can for my camp-stove and possible out-of-gas episodes, and I agree - don't pass too many gas stations....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-13-2013, 02:34 PM

+1 on carrying spare clutch cable. We went on a supposed 3-day ride and the cable broke on the 1st day, ending our trip. We were near Sacramento, which has about 4-5 Kawasaki dealers within 40 miles, but none had a cable in stock. Since they are a relatively chronic issue, it is best if YOU keep one in stock and carry it with you (mine's under the seat). Even if you don't know how to change it, any bike shop can do it if you've got the cable. The Versys is very tricky to ride without a clutch, especially 2-up.

We went cross country (7600 miles, 26 states) last year and the best peace of mind was having AAA premium road service, which is the only level of coverage that includes motorcycles. It cost us $28 to pro-ratedly upgrade our standard coverage. We didn't use it on the bike trip, but when my truck broke down 250 miles from home a few months later, it paid for 3 days of meals, lodging and rental car to get home.

Most of all, have fun!

Michael
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-14-2013, 02:43 AM

against tyre flat I always have a fix kit with rubber, tools and CO2 cartridges like attached.

Don't forget throttle and clutch lines.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 84-19503.jpg (44.0 KB, 42 views)

Nobody thinks that something is so easy like who is totally unable to do it.

Kawasaki Versys 07 Orange
Ex Aprilia Pegaso 96 Blue
Ex Suzuki DR 350 91

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode