Palm Pressure - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

Palm Pressure

Hi There,

I thought it was about time I checked in and said Hello with my first question.

I just purchased a beautiful Red 2008 Versys to replace my 2008 KLR, which was sold as I was not using it off road as much as I thought.

Love the bike, both looks and acceleration and more.

My question is that after riding for say one hour the palms of my hand start to feel a little numb. It seems as though I may be pushing myself backwards!
Is this caused by the position of the handlebars? I noticed that they will hit the tank on full lock.
The previous owner added a Givi screen and Acerbis handguards, maybe he rotated the bars back a little to give clearance for the handguards.
Maybe I need to raise the bars a little with bar risers.

Anyone else experienced this, and if so what was the cause?

Thanks for your input. When the rain/snow stops I was going to try rotating them forward a little and see if that helps.

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 05:43 PM

Yep, Roxy Risers make a world of differnence with the Givi Screen and Acebis hand guards. Here's what mine looks like.

Ok, one thing you need to do before you put the Roxy Risers on is to roughen up the Roxy inserts that go where the handle bars did or they will slip on you. My handlebars would not stay in position no matter how hard I tightened them. When I took a file and roughened up the inserts, they never slipped again.

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor

Last edited by dallasdon; 02-14-2009 at 04:06 PM.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 06:22 PM

Hey DallasDon... which risers did you get?
I'm having this same issue, after a while, it feels like I'm just leaning too hard into the bars and I'm pretty sure this is because of the low angle they are at... I'm sure risers would help, and I'm thinking of those anti-vib ones by Roxy... anyone try them out? are they really worth the (quite a bit of...) extra money over the regular risers? I'm trying to kill that vibration that makesmy left mirror go cooky too... see 2 birds, 1 stone!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 06:33 PM

Stevebee - they probably rotated the bars back. In stock form the bars don't hit the tank at full lock.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 06:48 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies.

I think first I will rotate them forward a little. I saw in the service manual that the punch mark on the bars should line up with the corner of the mounting bracket.

If that does not help I will try the Roxy Risers I found here:

http://www.roxspeedfx.com/cgi-bin/ca...?subcat_id=268

Thanks again, I will keep watching the forum as it is a great resource.

Steve

2008 RED Versys
1977 Triumph Bonneville
1967 Mustang
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 07:20 PM

The seat leans forward causing you to slide down to the gas tank. Raising the front seat mount helps a lot. I also stuffed some extra padding under mid to front section in through the seat base vents.
Stock Seat Mods

Adding spring preload to the front forks also helps reduce forward lean and excess nose dive. Mine are turned in to maximum setting, with rebound damping at 1/2 turn out... Also, switching to tapered aluminum handlebars (Tag Metals T2) got rid of the numbing vibrations and gives me a clear image in the mirrors. They're easy to install with the Roxy swivel risers/adapters.

Last edited by invader; 02-10-2009 at 08:32 PM.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-11-2009, 04:38 AM

Hi Stevebee

I would definetely recommend you do the saddle height adjustment that Invader has put up, after having done it myself it has made a massive difference to my riding comfort and if you're not sliding forward in the saddle you won't need to put so much pressure on your hands, it's a must mod.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-11-2009, 07:58 AM

I like that seat mod. Did you just use a piece of steel, a couple of washers and longer bolts to make it work?

09' Green
06' CR 250
08' CRF 230L
95' VFR 750 <-4 sale
88' Hawk GT
03' CRF 230f
05' TTR 50...
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-11-2009, 11:46 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motocox View Post
I like that seat mod. Did you just use a piece of steel, a couple of washers and longer bolts to make it work?
Motocox,
When I did it to mine, I used several washers and ended up with a 9/16" rise, and used longer bolts.
Ed
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-11-2009, 12:03 PM

I used 1/8" steel plate, 2 washers per side and longer bolts. I also glued a piece of plastic to top of battery, to line up with the black foam pad on bottom of seat base (battery hold down). You can see it in the pic, but I'm changing it for a thicker one...
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-11-2009, 02:25 PM Thread Starter

Thanks again guys.

It looks as though I will raising the seat and rotating the bars a little.

Steve

2008 RED Versys
1977 Triumph Bonneville
1967 Mustang
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-12-2009, 10:08 AM

[QUOTE=dallasdon;25126]Yep, Roxy Risers make a world of differnence with the Givi Screen and Acebis hand guards. Here's what mine looks like.

Don, sorry to hijack the thread but I noticed your comments above. I've been trying to decide what to do with the handguard/Givi windscreen combo and this is the first real solution I've run across. Did it really take care of the conflict problem between the two? If so, which model of risers and handguards did you end up with? Thanks.

Jeff in Illinois
07 Bandit
03 KLR
82 Rokon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode