NOOB and need help! - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 06:57 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
NOOB and need help!

Noob as registered but long time reader/fan. I have had my eye on the V since last year this time. I currently have a drz 400sm and have finally got "permission" (cough, cough) from the wife that I can upgrade!! Just wondering if you had lets say $2-3000 over the price of a V would you have still bought one? If not what would you have bought? Or just sink that money in bags,exhaust, or other accessories. Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Das View Post
Just wondering if you had lets say $2-3000 over the price of a V would you have still bought one? If not what would you have bought? Or just sink that money in bags,exhaust, or other accessories. Cheers
Yes. If it fits your intended riding, it's a good option even if you compare it to more expensive bikes. Definitely more fun than most, regardless of cost. I don't think I've reached $1K in accessories/modifications yet, and other than the suspension, everything is setup perfectly for my needs.

Gustavo
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 07:39 PM

The bikes that most riders look at besides the Asian stuff are Triumph, Ducati,BMW,Aprilia,and some other stuff I can't think of right now.

I have toyed with the idea of a Triumph 675 Street Triple, but have been afraid of reliability issues.

Ducati and the other italian stuff don't do anything for me. BMW looks kind of interesting,but I guess I have been with the Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki products for so long I can't get into these other brands.

I don't think you can go wrong with the Versys.

If I had to make a choice though,and the Versys were not in the picture,I think it would be the 675 Street Triple.

Anybody else think these buffalo wings taste a lot like chicken?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 Concours
2008 Versys
Restored 69 Honda Trail 90
Whizzer motorbike

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 08:11 PM
Super Moderator

..and for me, the choice would be the Triumph Tiger, the newer style. I really like the way that bike looks! Still, its hard to beat the Versys anywhere near it's price, in my opinion.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 08:13 PM

Dr. Das,
It all comes down to what kind of riding you want to do. If you love the Super Moto look but want something more streetable than the Versys could be what you want. If you live in Europe there are many choices, but in North America the choice is a bit more limited. The V is a fantastic middleweight road bike that can do some mild dirt roads. For me it was the comfortable riding position, the great 650 motor and solid dealer support in NA. You can get fancier, faster and more expensive, but buck for buck it is one of the best rides I've owned in 30yrs of riding.

Moe
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 11:48 PM

I bought a 09 Versys and kept my 07 DRZ SM. They overlap a bit but the SM sure is fun around town but not so good on longer rides.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 12:02 AM

Send a message via MSN to joshmedley
Price wasn't an issue for me. i also sport a 2007 Harley Vrod. I was looking into the bmw as an everyday bike when i stumbled onto the V. The beamer in my opinion is over priced and the v suited y needs and what i wanted to do just as well for half the price. I think it was a great decision. but currently i'm pondering giving up one of the bikes for a concours 14.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear on a bicycle View Post
..and for me, the choice would be the Triumph Tiger, the newer style. I really like the way that bike looks! Still, its hard to beat the Versys anywhere near it's price, in my opinion.
+1 I'm with BOB on this one. I like the new Triger but for me the best bang for the buck was the Versys and the DL650. The Versys was different enough to get my attention and the sitting position felt good. After a test ride I knew it was a bike I could be happy with. I have had a lot of other bikes (23) and for me picking this one was like the difference between picking a girl friend or a wife. I got this one for the long haul. I may look at other bikes but with the Versys I'm happy every time I climb on.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 06:42 AM

Don't forget the maintenance costs on those other bikes. The V is downright cheap to own and operate. Even if you do your own maintenance - the parts for a BMW are much more than a Kawasaki and you are limited on the farkles. Just a thought. I hardly farkled my BMW, first was limited farkles and the cost of those farkles (Wunderlich - very nice, very expensive) and two was when I needed dealer support and they found I dared touch my own bike, ugh. Nice bikes tempting but I'm happy with the V and what I can do with it. Just food for thought.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean View Post
Don't forget the maintenance costs on those other bikes. The V is downright cheap to own and operate. Even if you do your own maintenance - the parts for a BMW are much more than a Kawasaki and you are limited on the farkles. Just a thought. I hardly farkled my BMW, first was limited farkles and the cost of those farkles (Wunderlich - very nice, very expensive) and two was when I needed dealer support and they found I dared touch my own bike, ugh. Nice bikes tempting but I'm happy with the V and what I can do with it. Just food for thought.
BMW's bikes, parts, and accessories are expensive, but the same isn't always the case for other European marques. Ducati's tend to be expensive in the same way as BMWs, but Aprilias and KTMs, to name just two, are generally not that expensive after the initial purchase.

I looked long and hard at the Aprilia Shiver, but it was new and seemed to be having some teething pains. However, that bike appears to be bulletproof. It's about $2500 more than the Versys, but it is stunningly beautiful (to me) and is a really great midweight ride. I'm still thinking about switching, but my toy budget will likely need to fund a new dirt bike within the next few months, and those are now in the same price range as the Versys and its competitors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode