Ontario License costs - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

Ontario License costs

This goes out to all Ontario V owners. I currently live in Montreal, Quebec but there is a strong possibility that I'll be moving to Ontario in August. I'm wondering how much it will cost me to plate and insure my bike in Ontario. Currently in Quebec my plate will cost me $516 and my private insurance will set me back another approx $400 for comprehensive coverage. How will this compare to Ontario? Can anybody recommend a motorcycle friendly insurance company in Ontario?

Moe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 05:10 PM

Plates cost about $30 or so per year, I'll have to check. It may vary between small town and cities... RBC insurance has better rates for me than anyone else, and they're easy to deal with by phone. I pay I think $516 insurance per year for minimum coverage, and I save on car insurance too. (43 yo with clean driving record) Call them toll free for a quote at 1-877-749-7224 or here: http://www.rbcinsurance.com/auto/mot...insurance.html

Last edited by invader; 02-08-2009 at 05:13 PM.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 05:43 PM

zowie, that hurts

I have my Versys registered in Alberta.. $45.oo for plates and $444 a year for comprehensive. I checked and PL and PD (minimum to ride) was $209.00.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 06:04 PM

Wow $209 in Alberta... Who are you insured with, scooter650? Did you insure it as a scooter? Is that for one whole year?
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 07:41 PM

Find a broker who will use Jevco as the underwriter. I'm in BC now, but last year in Ontario that was the best deal I could find.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 07:41 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the fast replies. Our wonderful government here in Quebec decided 3 years ago that motorcycling was an elitist high risk sport in in there infinite wisdom redid the class categories. Basically anything over 450cc falls into 3 classes not based on actual horse power or engine configuration but standard, sport and the infinitely reckless and socially reprehensible Super Sport. The V is considered a "standard" and is the least expensive to plate at $516, but my 47 year old friend who is married, has a clean driving record and owns an Aprillia 1000 will have to shell out $1030 this year and possibly $1300 next year. That's what happens when 18 year olds go out and buy 100+ hp 600cc sports bikes and become organ doners. Now even grand dad and his Goldwing have to pay up for their lack of rider training and common sense.

Moe
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 05:40 AM

Yeah, Plates are around 40 bucks.

Insurance is all over the place, some expensive and some cheap, I'm listed as a new rider and pay around $700. I use Primmum which is a division of Canada Trust Insurance, not sure of the number.
________
Motorcycle tires

Last edited by furley; 05-14-2011 at 05:10 PM.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 06:18 AM

Hey Moflow,

give the bike another 24 years and you will be able to plate it for $89 as an antique!!! Man I think I am going to move to Ontario!
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 07:04 PM Thread Starter

actar911,

I've got a friend who has an old 70 something Ducati that he has plated vintage for the last few years. With the vintage plate your only allowed on secondary roads posted max 90km/h. Last year he got caught on the highway by an unmarked QPP and had to payout $465 and 4 points. Still considering he got away with the $89 plate for a number of years, he' still saving money.

Moe
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 02:48 PM

jevco best rates

I'm using Jevco
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-29-2009, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moflow View Post
Thanks for the fast replies. Our wonderful government here in Quebec decided 3 years ago that motorcycling was an elitist high risk sport in in there infinite wisdom redid the class categories. Basically anything over 450cc falls into 3 classes not based on actual horse power or engine configuration but standard, sport and the infinitely reckless and socially reprehensible Super Sport. The V is considered a "standard" and is the least expensive to plate at $516, but my 47 year old friend who is married, has a clean driving record and owns an Aprillia 1000 will have to shell out $1030 this year and possibly $1300 next year. That's what happens when 18 year olds go out and buy 100+ hp 600cc sports bikes and become organ doners. Now even grand dad and his Goldwing have to pay up for their lack of rider training and common sense.

Moe
That's not it at all. It's the Marxist frogs who are running your province and think it's a sovereign nation. I'm surprised they haven't declared it to be the "People's Democratik Republik of Acadia". You are just getting royally screwed over by your government.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-29-2009, 05:53 PM

If memory serves, the plate goes for around $65.00. I pay around $600.00 for insurance through Kingsway with a CAA 15% discount. Rates vary depending on your record, age, and daily commute. Licence renewal runs around less than $100.00 for five years. If you want more details on the biking in Ontario, check out http://www.GTAMotorcycle.com

There is a separate insurance forum that's pretty active.

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...splay.php?f=28

Its a different deal for insurance here. No government involvement, just the mandatory requirement to have it.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-30-2009, 10:45 AM

I just plated my new V last week for $51, and I have full insurance coverage for $481 through Melloche Monnex.

Bye the way, I moved away from Québec some time ago not quite by accident......and before anyone can give me a hard time, I speak french, I married a woman whose first language is french, and my kids go to a french school in Ottawa (they learned french and english at the same time).

Is this thread taking on a particular Canadian political theme???
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-07-2009, 08:07 PM Thread Starter

Turnbud,

Thanks for the info. Interestingly my situation is the same, I speak French and have a wife who is Franco-Ontarian, but spent the majority of her life in Montreal. The politics as always, tend to ware on you. The taxes and the very little you get for it is always a point of infuriation. The paradox is we love Montreal and hate Quebec. My wife has family in Gananoque and Hurst and we have been thinking of moving to a smaller community and getting out of the big city. BTW, I lived in Ottawa for 5 years ( The Glebe) and have always enjoyed that part of Southern Ontario.

Moe
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 04:24 AM

If you are undecided on where you will end up, and are looking for a smaller community with a growing culinary and winery scene that's within striking distance of a major centre, check out Prince Edward County.

We spent some time down there last summer and loved it. I would move there in a heartbeat but for all the usual reasons....

Moving to Ontario is unlikley to make much of a difference in the overall tax burden. What you gain in one area you will lose in another. Though gas will definitely be cheaper in Eastern Ontario, particularly if you live on the island.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 10:22 AM

Montrealers work to live, Torontonians live to work. Quebec's government rules can be annoying but Ontario too has become far too much of a nanny state. Last year when the economy was crumbling Ontario's government debated issues like mandatory helmets for tobogganing, and banning children from riding pillion. Makes the language debate almost seem interesting. Quebecers just seems to have more fun, Ontario is a little too serious.

Kingston, Picton, and Cobourg were my favourite three towns east of TO, Collingwood to the north. Had we stayed in Ontario I'm sure we would have ended up in one of them. However, considering the snow there yesterday and the 22' we had in BC, I don't think I'll ever move back. For riding though 1+ on Prince Edward county/Bay of Quinte area. It is really nice.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 10:35 AM

I knew this would get going!!

Ok, let's be careful we don't label everyone in Ontario as "Torontonians"...bye the way, I do agree with you to some extent, I have lived in both Toronto and Montreal. Similarly, you cannot label everyone in BC as "Vancouverians (?)" My wife has been to Vancouver with me once, was a bit turned off with some of our encounters, and I have been trying to tell her ever since that downtown Vancouver and its attitudes/people do not represent every other place in the province...

Clearly you are a skier! I've been around BC many times skiing - love it. Just kinda funny - not too many people on this motorcycle forum bragging about living in a place that gets 22' of snow!
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 01:05 PM

DOH! Make that 22 degrees Celsius. I love to ski, but I found mounting a rack on the bike too challenging.

Very true comment about Toronto versus Ontario. Only reason I mentioned TO was your comments about Montreal versus Quebec. Seems you need to get 100 km away from the CN tower in any direction and the place gets way more relaxed. Glad you are enjoying Ottawa.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 03:36 PM

LOL....and yes, I knew Whiterock never gets 22 feet of snow, but perhaps you were referring to your favourite ski place (in which case it is quite realistic!)
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitmind View Post
Montrealers work to live, Torontonians live to work.
Nothing like generalities. As someone who has spent a great deal of time in both places, I beg to disagree.

Montrealers live to look good, not that there is anything wrong with that... Torontonians just live...and some of us ride.

Now if we could only find a way to move Mont Sutton and Mont St. Anne to Collingwood life would be just about perfect.

Last edited by toocanad; 04-08-2009 at 08:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode