Trying to put my V on rear stands to clean/lube chain - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2013, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Trying to put my V on rear stands to clean/lube chain

Hi all,

I was farkling my bike last weekend, and tried to put the rear wheel on the stand, but was nervous that it might tip over on its side. I used to do it on my first bike, though a much smaller one (tu250x) and about 150 lbs lighter.

I could spray and move the bike every 1 ft and spray again, but it's such a pain with these old knees.

I am thinking of putting a brick under the side stand so that the bike is upright and then slide the rear stand under the swingarm spools.

any tips?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2013, 10:52 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
If you have any doubts about your dexterity & balancing skills you can use this as an excuse to teach an assistant
Old 04-10-2013, 10:59 AM

Align the lower side spool with the stand, then standing at the back of the bike, tip it up, being sure to align the right side spool as the bike comes up. Then, just slowly step on the stand and it'll lift the bike.

Just hold onto the passenger grab handles and trust the stand. It'll work.

Cheers, Jeff
--------------------------------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

2010 Versys
SW-Motech crash bars & bash plate
SW-Motech quick lock rear rack
Two seahorse 720 cases / panniers
Givi wind screen

Old 04-10-2013, 11:27 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESE_VERSYS2013 View Post
...I am thinking of putting a brick under the side stand so that the bike is upright and then slide the rear stand under the swingarm spools.

any tips?

Thanks!
I do that too, and it helps quite a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff S View Post
Align the lower side spool with the stand, then standing at the back of the bike, tip it up, being sure to align the right side spool as the bike comes up. Then, just slowly step on the stand and it'll lift the bike.

Just hold onto the passenger grab handles and trust the stand. It'll work.
What Jeff said, tho' I push down on the stand rather than stepping onto it. To get over your nervousness, I suggest you have someone stand-by for a couple of times, GENTLY holding the handle-bars, while you do it, just for confidence.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Old 04-10-2013, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Hi all,

I was farkling my bike last weekend, and tried to put the rear wheel on the stand, but was nervous that it might tip over on its side. I used to do it on my first bike, though a much smaller one (tu250x) and about 150 lbs lighter.

I could spray and move the bike every 1 ft and spray again, but it's such a pain with these old knees.

I am thinking of putting a brick under the side stand so that the bike is upright and then slide the rear stand under the swingarm spools.

any tips?

Thanks!
Best tip I ever got was the one you already said.. Either a brick or some spare pieces of wood underneath the kick stand to make it ALMOST straight up. Then you can easily align both spools in the holster before lifting it up.

If your looking for a rear stand that won't break the bank, look at the harbor freight stand. It was really cheap but does the job perfectly every time for me and very simple to use.

Farkles:
Givi Tall Windscreen, Givi Top Rack and Case, Givi V35 Bags and Mounts, Givi QuickLock Tank Connector+Bag, Oxford Heated Grips, Nuvi 550 w/ Ram Mount, Barkbusters Full Wrap + Storm, Motowerks Flatfoot, Spools and Tank Protector, Bobbed Fender, Grip Puppies, 12v SAE Socket, Packjack, Airhawk 1 (med), Scala Rider G4, Contour Roam2

Next Stop: 44Tooth Sprocket (To be installed)
Old 04-10-2013, 12:03 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
I use a block of wood under side stand but make sure you hook up both bobbins or you may end up like what i did one day.

Old 04-10-2013, 12:30 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
My bike leaned way over before i lowered it. But i used a brick or piece of wood to make it level. I'm a big guy so i could use my left hand to hold the rear of the bike and put the stand under the spools with my right hand. Then start to push down with the right still keeping the bike steady with the left when the rear wheel lifts i then push the stand down with the right or with both hands as needed. If your smaller then push down with the foot like posted in an earlier post. I have the Harbour Freight Stand and its worked perfect for over 3 years now and it doesn't break the bank.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
Old 04-10-2013, 01:10 PM

I second the 2x4 idea. I put a 2x6 under the side stand ( turn wheel to the left to keep in leaning that way ), place the rear stand under the bobbins and then slowly raise. Just remember to reverse the process ( i.e. get the block back under the stand ) when lowering. It won't fall over if you forget but it did scare the **** out of me the first time I forgot.

Toys : 2009 Versys ( Blue ), 2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata
Needs : 2016 Mazda CX-5 ( RIP Mazda5 ), 2007 Honda Civic
Old 04-10-2013, 03:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi 41 View Post
I use a block of wood under side stand but make sure you hook up both bobbins or you may end up like what i did one day.

Wow! I hope there was no damage and no injury!

THANKS ALL FOR YOUR SUGGESTIONS!!! HELPFUL, NO DOUBT!
Old 04-10-2013, 04:41 PM

this works for cleaning the chain

http://www.harborfreight.com/motorcy...and-98800.html
Old 04-10-2013, 04:52 PM

You can also try this if you don't have a rear stand and have those jack stands around. Put one jackstand under the right footpeg mount (The top of the jackstand should almost touch footpeg mount) while you have the bike on its side stand. Then, position an automobile jack (hydraulic or scissor jack) under the left footpeg mount and slowly lift it up with the jack to the same level as the right side. Just make sure that the bike is securely on the jackstand and the jack. This is what i did before i got the rear stand.

Gerald
Old 04-10-2013, 06:14 PM

This is what I use. 130 bucks at Canadian Tire, up nearly 1/2 meter, both tires off the ground.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg M«ycle Jack.jpg (5.1 KB, 100 views)
Old 04-10-2013, 06:39 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I stand on the left side and position the rear stand, lined up with the left side spool. then I lean against the bike, pushing it upright and onto the right side spool. When it's stable, I reach down and push the handle down with my right hand, holding onto the grab rail with my left.

I do this all the time at the track for my tire warmers, only minus the helpful grab rails. No issues. Takes a bit of practice. Have someone spot you the first couple of times.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdale View Post
This is what I use. 130 bucks at Canadian Tire, up nearly 1/2 meter, both tires off the ground.
I have this on my amazon wishlist, but I am concerned with the bike's underside particularly the exhaust bearing the weight of the bike.

Have you had any problems with denting or even stress "fractures" on any of the parts down there? Also how stable is it since the underside does not have a leveled contour. Which part(s) of the bike touches the jack when it hoists the bike?

Thanks!
Old 04-10-2013, 07:16 PM

I use this stand. Very easy for one person use!

Old 04-10-2013, 07:52 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Quote:
Wow! I hope there was no damage and no injury!

THANKS ALL FOR YOUR SUGGESTIONS!!! HELPFUL, NO DOUBT!
It actually went over to the right first as i had only hooked the left bobbin and it cut through abs wires but re joined ok, managed to hold on to passenger grab handles as she went to ground with only a couple of minor scratches, have since got a different stand to lift the ninja.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:58 AM

Damn Kiwi that must have been a bit scary. When the bike is up on the stand should the front brake be engaged with a velcro strap or something similar?
Old 04-11-2013, 01:40 AM

For paddock stands, no you dont want to velcro strap your front brake lever.

But there's an easier way to jack up your bike if you only need the rear to be lifted up for only a while to work on the chain. And this method would require the use of velcro strapping the front brake lever

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=20436

+

=

well u get the idea. But make sure the front brake lever is strapped tight as to anchor the front tyre before jacking it up.

Current : Maroon 2011.
- Fender Extender - Radiator Guard - 19mm Nissin radial master - Nissin 4-pot caliper - SS brake lines - Osram Hyper 65W both low/high beam - LED 30w aux floodlights & 3w DRLs - Rear Hugger - Givi crash guards - Yoshimura TRC Carbon - Dynojet PC5 - Scottoiler - R1 shock with Ohlins 14.2 kg/mm spring - Imitation Givi Windshield - Rear Givi rack with 24ltr Givi top box - Bosch dual tones - Z800 stock mirrors.

Up next :
- Protaper SE ATV Low - PIAA Platinum low

Last edited by andrewhtf; 04-11-2013 at 02:05 AM.
Old 04-11-2013, 02:08 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
I use my left hand to hold the rear of the bike and put the stand under the spools with my right hand. Then start to push down with the right still keeping the bike steady with the left when the rear wheel lifts i then push the stand down with the right or with both hands as needed. If your smaller then push down with the foot like posted in an earlier post.
1st time I had my son help, ever since I have done it the way weljo said.
Old 04-11-2013, 03:36 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
If you are a first timer and not so familiar with Paddock stand , plese do the following:

Place you bike near a wall, so if it tip the wall will catch it.

Now place a telephone direction or block of wood to get the bike to almost 90 degrees standing position.

Now move back, always holding your bike with one hand.

Place you paddock stand in position and lift the bike.

For the first time have someone beside you to give you confidence and do it a few time and you are good to do your chain lube...etc.

PLS NOTE; DON'T DO THE KIWI STYLE...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in