Versys as an ADV bike, lets see them. - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 63 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 05:07 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Versys as an ADV bike, lets see them.

Who is working on turning their Versys into and adventure touring bike (ADV)? I have slowly been adding farkles and just added dirt bike pegs and debaged the factory stickers to add a ADV sticker to the tank. The sticker is actually black and reflective. It just shows up as white with the flash. I'm interested in seeing every body elses mods.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 63 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 07:17 PM
Super Moderator

Nice!

post #3 of 63 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 07:52 PM

Hey No Pics yet.........but I just put an Avon Distansa on the front. Put Buell Pegs on, which lower feet about 1", working on a flatter style seat, I may give up and have Renazco Seats do one for me, look at their site!. Have not tested anything yet.
Also, just found Semi-knobbies tires that were designed for the KTM Duke that WILL FIT PERFECTLY. Avons are good in the dirt and great on the road. I'll decide later which rear tire I will try. Had the Distansas on my R100GS and Vstrom. Everyone loved them. I use the Cortech Soft Luggage, which is good (forgiving) on the trail. Happy Trails makes a Skid Plate, I'll save $$ and maybe get one. I use an expandable tank bag on a couble of bikes. I think a luggage rack is needed, but have not decided which one. Any suggestions??
I thick an Adventure Kit should be offrerd by the factory! Starting with the seat and front wheel.
I bought this bike in Salem, at the bike shop on the highway North of Salem visited my brother in Eugene and road to Steens Mountain this past summer. Met a freind and Camped at Malheur , went to John Day, and Idaho. Did 2,000 mi in 12 days. I still have Steens Mountain dust on the wheels. Friend then trucked it back to Baltimore while I flew. What a fansatic trip!!! I'll do pics in a few weeks.........the seat mod is killing me!!
Steve

PS... do the stickers really make you go faster??

post #4 of 63 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 09:15 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VerSteve View Post
Hey No Pics yet.........but I just put an Avon Distansa on the front. Put Buell Pegs on, which lower feet about 1", working on a flatter style seat, I may give up and have Renazco Seats do one for me, look at their site!. Have not tested anything yet.
Also, just found Semi-knobbies tires that were designed for the KTM Duke that WILL FIT PERFECTLY. Avons are good in the dirt and great on the road. I'll decide later which rear tire I will try. Had the Distansas on my R100GS and Vstrom. Everyone loved them. I use the Cortech Soft Luggage, which is good (forgiving) on the trail. Happy Trails makes a Skid Plate, I'll save $$ and maybe get one. I use an expandable tank bag on a couble of bikes. I think a luggage rack is needed, but have not decided which one. Any suggestions??
I thick an Adventure Kit should be offrerd by the factory! Starting with the seat and front wheel.
I bought this bike in Salem, at the bike shop on the highway North of Salem visited my brother in Eugene and road to Steens Mountain this past summer. Met a freind and Camped at Malheur , went to John Day, and Idaho. Did 2,000 mi in 12 days. I still have Steens Mountain dust on the wheels. Friend then trucked it back to Baltimore while I flew. What a fansatic trip!!! I'll do pics in a few weeks.........the seat mod is killing me!!
Steve

so I've heard...

post #5 of 63 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 10:53 PM Thread Starter

I ran the Distansas on my Ducati E900 Elefant when I had it and they did good especially if they were aired down a bit, 18-20 lbs. I always carried a 12V air pump to air them back up when I got back on the paved roads. I think I'm going to try the MT60s next.
I think a Off Road Kit for this bke would be a great idea. This bike has the potential to be a very rideable adventure bike. Reading about some of the issues BMW is having with F650 Twin and the F800 over on advrider.com a much more reliable bike also.
I have not had a problem with the seat and find it suites me fine. For me the next farkle will be the engine guard from Algard. I like the Givi hard bags and the mounts from SW Moto Tech. I have two different sizes of bags. The small E21 set to run around town and the larger E360 for longer trips. I may go with Pelican Cases for the smaller bags. Had them on my Elefant and they held up well even when laid them down at speed in the dirt.
Lets see some pictures from some of you guys. I need more ideas.
PS.... and yes the stickers make it muck faster.
post #6 of 63 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 07:55 AM

TAC650 - where did you get your footpegs, I like those.

I'm going for the adventure features as well. I posted recently about the AlGard. Along with that I've also got the SW-Motech crash bars, Martin Fabrication lights, Pirelli Scorpion Syncs, Barkbuster Handguards, Fender Extender, Pyramid Hugger, Centech Power Panel, Peg Lower Kit (Speedy), GPS Panel (Speedy), Fat Foot (Speedy), Full Set GIVI luggage, Kawi Vario Windscreen, Kysan Onboard Charger and Chargeguard. Could be some other items that I've forgetten about. I still have some more to go - like a radiator guard and power outlets.

Not the best picture, but the most recent.
post #7 of 63 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAC650 View Post
Who is working on turning their Versys into and adventure touring bike (ADV)? I have slowly been adding farkles and just added dirt bike pegs ...

Why did you decide on dirt bike pegs?
post #8 of 63 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 11:29 AM

I am planning to do a good bit of adventure riding this summer and a chunk of the Trans-Am trail. I am leaning toward putting on a set of Pirelli MT60 tires this spring, but am interested in the tires Versteve mentioned. Let us know what your research turns up, Steve.

I go to Daytona Bike Week the end of this month and will speak to Kawasaki and the tire reps to get their opinions on an adventure set-up for the Versys.
post #9 of 63 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 08:16 PM Thread Starter

Ocean great looking Versys it really stands out in blue. You have it farkeled out well. The foot pegs I bough a couple years ago off of E-Bay and wanted to fit them to my KLX650 I had. I believe they were for a KLX125 or YZ125 I really don't remember. They would not fit the KLX650 so I had them in a box. I was digging thru the box the other day and found them. I started looking at them and then realized it I punched out the center insert the remaining 12mm (I think) hole would fit the Versys and utilize the existing spring. I can check the manufacture if you like. I suspect they are generic at manufacture and different inserts get installed to fit different bikes. They are real comfortable especially when standing on them riding down a dirt road. Oh FYI they will not work with Speedy's lowering blocks.
Satex, the pegs are much more comfortable and are not silperly when wet, dirt also falls thru them.

Last edited by TAC650; 02-09-2009 at 08:18 PM.
post #10 of 63 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VerSteve View Post
Steve

Steve I'm looking forward to seeing photos of your bike. I got my bike in Woodburn north of Salem. The dealer you refered to would not let me test ride the Versys but he would let me listen to the engine run. The dealer in Woodburn was great he let me test drive it, took my old 1987 VFR Honda in on trade and gave me a great OTD price.
I have been to most of the places you talked about great riding here in Oregon. I'm heading to West Fest '09 in Colorado this year on the Versys. It would be great to see some fellow ADV Versys out there.
post #11 of 63 (permalink) Old 02-28-2009, 11:12 PM

KawasiMoto Lives!

I took advantage of a wet and miserable day today to install the Happy Trails package of engine guards, bash plate and Teton Panniers. It's a great setup, though I do have a huge problem with one part of the engine guards. More on that in a bit.
Here's my buddy Al on KawasiMoto after we finished with the installation. By far, the hardest part was the engine guards.

The instructions that we got with the package were minimal - a couple of dark photos with little detail, a parts list, and some very basic tips for putting the stuff together. While I installed a Ermax Hugger from Frogger Specialties, All started organizing the parts for the engine guards. He took the left side of the bike then while I started on the right. All went well until we mounted the guard rail to the rear engine mount on the right side. It's a very tight fit, wedging the mount between an electrical mounting bracket and the oil drain plug. The ad from Happy Trails says that the guards and bash plate make draining the oil easy, but on this setup, the rail on the guard is situated right beneath the plug. It needs at least another 1/4 inch of clearance to be able to get out the drain plug without removing the guard.

The engine guard bar needs to have a bend put in it to avoid the plug. Even though I really like most of the setup, I probably wouldn't have gotten the engine guards and bash plate package had I known about the poor fitting. Have any of you encountered this problem and found a good solution? Also, how long is the drain plug? It it's not too long, it might be possible to still ease it out without having to remove the guards. Everything else about the guards is outstanding. They are very stout and should provide pretty good protection in a fall. The parts lined up well, with the exception of the one point at the drain plug.
The bash plate took about 10 minutes to put on. I plan to use the KawasiMoto mostly on pavement and dirt roads, with no plans for trails at all. If I planned to put it on single-track, I'd look more closely at a stronger design, but for what I plan to use it for, the Happy Trails setup is ideal. Lightweight and strong, it will keep most of the crud off of the engine, radiator and headers when used with the fender extender. The plates aren't pre-drilled (the bash assembly consists of two plates), so we lined each up where we wanted it, used c-clamps to hold them in place, and marked where we wanted the mounting holes to be drilled. The rear mounting point on the left side is right between the headers, so we had to figure out where it would go by measuring first the mounts on the engine guards that the plates go on, and then measuring from the already drilled holes on the plates. It worked and we were done with the bash plate assembly.

The Hugger was a breeze to put in. I got the unpainted version and painted it with about 15 coats of satin black Krylon, formulated for plastic applications. It looks great. The only problem that I had with that installation was when I put the spacer between the brake cable mount and the hugger. The spacer was so thick that after being put in place, I couldn't get the brake cable mount through the hugger and into place at the holes on the swingarm. I had to fashion another thinner spacer out of an old inner tube. Once that was done, it only took a minute to finish securing the Hugger. That's the too-thick spacer below that was replaced.

After the battle with the engine guard, we dreaded the panniers, but luckily, the panniers were gravy to put on. Again, instructions were sadly lacking, but they went on so easy, it really didn't matter. It took a moment to figure out which mount went on which side, and then all we had to do was figure out which bolts to use. It took about 15 minutes, start to finish, to have the panniers securely in place. They look bitchin', and seem to be bombproof to boot.
So... on a scale of 1 to 10, the panniers get an 8, the bash plate a 7, and the engine guards a 4. It's a shame that the bars don't rate better - they're very stout and look good, but the drain plug situation is a real PIA.

Pre-setup photo below - the pitchfork, the sledge, and the cross cut saw, along with the tequila and Jack Daniels were there too, just in case the going got tough...

http://griztrax.net/backroads/HappyT...stallation.htm
post #12 of 63 (permalink) Old 02-28-2009, 11:48 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
The oil drain plug is about 12mm in diameter and about 1 to 1 1/4" long.
Ed
post #13 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 04:53 PM Thread Starter

Great post VeeWNC the Versys is looking good. I just installed the Rox Risers for the handle bars and made a radiator guard from a prefabricated vent from Lowe's. It was in the building materials department and used for venting attics. It was 8"X16" and took very little to make it fit.
post #14 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 05:32 PM

Good looking bikes!

I have been wanting to set up my bike for some adventure riding but haven'e had the time of money. All I have done so far is an a Givi trunk, some better grips and a throttle lock.

2013 Vulcan Classic LT but may be going back in the fold..
post #15 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 07:40 PM

Homemade solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAC650 View Post
Great post VeeWNC the Versys is looking good. I just installed the Rox Risers for the handle bars and made a radiator guard from a prefabricated vent from Lowe's. It was in the building materials department and used for venting attics. It was 8"X16" and took very little to make it fit.
One of the greatest benefits to a forum like this one is that it frees us from having to depend on manufacturers for parts and information. I especially enjoy the posts from folks that make their own parts for the bikes. Not only do they work, but they add a personal touch that sets the bikes apart. I liked the post about the home made hugger - great job on that one - and the radiator cover that you made is just what I've been looking for. Stuff like that gives me something to do on days when it's raining, snowing, sleeting, and thundering, all at the same time, here in the mountains. Good news though - it's supposed to be back in the mid-60s by the end of the week. The peach orchards south of here will soon be in bloom and I'm looking forward to doing some rides through there to get some shots of KawasiMoto in its Easter finery.

The pic below show my Ninja up in the Pinhook Valley in western NC last May. Note the Nelson Riggs bags - they look really good for soft bags. Firm, jet black, shiny reflective undercoating - they sit nice and square on the bike. Unfortunately, all four of the zippers broke sometime in the first couple of months that I had them on the bike. I had to open and close them by pinching the zipper and dragging them back and forth with my fingers. In a couple of months, and about 4,000 miles of riding, they sagged, turned purple and started looking like old luggage found by the side of a road. They still worked well though, staying with the bike for many a trip, and are now in the basement awaiting their fate. The tank bag held up great and I really hate that I can't use it on KawasiMoto. I had thought about modifying the magnets, but it's simply too large for the Vee.

Here's what the bags looked like a couple of weeks ago on KawasiMoto...

I would still recommend the bags for somebody that needs something for day trips for a reasonable cost. The bags themselves are very tough, they're expandable, they have some pretty good rain covers and served me well. You just have to accept that fabric bags will show their age pretty quickly - just like a pair of comfortable jeans. I may end up using them for top bags, mounted above the Happy Trails.
post #16 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 09:55 PM Thread Starter

I like doing the home fabricated stuff. It is usually a little ruff in finish but it was made by me, it works and it was cheap. I will try to post more pictures tomorrow showing the Rox Risers and Radiator Guard. I still have to do the Alguard Engine Guard and I believe I'm going to try the MT60's tires. Unfortunately I can only afford to do one thing at a time. I know there are more ADV riders out there with Versys lets see them.
post #17 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-18-2009, 11:46 PM

pegs

Great looking pegs. Where did you get them?
post #18 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 01:46 AM

I'm curious about the potential of a Versys to that of a BMW 650GS. I'm very interested in getting a bike for off road trails.

Other than a set of tires, what needs to be done to a Versys to make it suitable for trail riding?
post #19 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 06:09 AM

When my bike is finished and back together I will post some photo's and spec of what I have done.
Ted.
post #20 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 11:22 AM

Ted99uk- that would be great to see!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode