importing to U.S. FROM Canada - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 11:03 AM Thread Starter

Question importing to U.S. FROM Canada

Hello Folks. I am new to the forum, and looking to get my hands on my first Versys this summer. I live up in Vermont (an hour from Canada), and was curious if anyone had any insight about importing a Canadian Versys with ABS into the United States... What's the procedure? Any recommended dealers across the VT border? etc.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 11:22 AM

No ABS option in Canada either... You'd have to import it from Europe to have one with factory installed ABS.

Last edited by invader; 02-08-2009 at 11:30 AM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 11:30 AM

Importing a new vehicle from Canada is fairly trivial as the safety and emissions standards have been harmonized. But, as Invader pointed out, ABS is not an option there either, so it would only give you a different color selection (depending on year).

Importing a bike from Europe to the US is a little more difficult. You have better chances of being on the next manned mission to the moon than having your Euro-Spec Versys here this year. It'll be cheaper too (going to the moon, that is ).

Read all about it on the EPA and NHTSA sites.

Gustavo

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 04:31 PM

You might want to compare the suggested retail price of the Canadian and US Versys. Generally we pay quite a bit more for our Canadian models, then again with the currency exchange this could be minimal. The Canadian model does not have any of the EPA carbon canister plumbing nor does it have an oxygen sensor on the muffler/catalyzer.

Moe
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 05:02 PM

I don't know if we pay more in Canada. Taking the exchange rate into account I paid $5800.00 USD, everything in, for a new '07 two months ago.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J B Nimble View Post
as the Vice President of Kawasaki in Canada put it to me, "sure you could" but he stressed that the border crossing would be difficult, taxes & delivery.
I call BS on this. 10 years ago, when the SV650 just came out and our Canadian brothers got the S version we didn't, we went to Vancouver to pick up the sportier SV-S. That was before full harmonization of safety and emission standards and with the right paperwork it took no longer than crossing with your regular luggage. No issues getting the bikes registered in OR either. Kawasaki may not like it because when there is a significant difference in actual value, it causes buyers to run to the other market to get a better deal, but there is no legal reason you can't do it.

BTW, Moe, our bikes are identical to yours, no canister or oxygen sensor. It's only the California model that gets the canister as mandated by CARB (and the reason they couldn't buy one last year).

Gustavo
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelsxc View Post
Hello Folks. I am new to the forum, and looking to get my hands on my first Versys this summer. I live up in Vermont (an hour from Canada), and was curious if anyone had any insight about importing a Canadian Versys with ABS into the United States... What's the procedure? Any recommended dealers across the VT border? etc.

Thanks!
If you want an ABS bike, I would check out the Suzuki SV 650 ABS (or a Triumph Tiger)

I have a Versys and it's a great bike but if Kawasaki refuse to send us their ABS model, we can look elsewhere.

As far as importing a bike from Canada, usually it's the other way around, Canadian buy from the US and bring it back to Canada. Even with the Canadian dollard is low, the prices are usually higher in Canada.

For Example: A 2007 Honda Civic built in Canada was selling 2000$ cheaper un the US than in Canada and the Canadian dollar was worth as much as the US dollar.

Anyways, if you are still interested, I live 45 minfrom the Quebec/Vermont border and I could ask my local Kawa dealer. Feel free to send me a private message.

Charles Leblanc
2007 Versys
Givi Windshield and side case
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode