Front tire vibration - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-09-2013, 06:40 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Front tire vibration

So recently I had the local shop mount up another Bridgestone BX023 front tire. They have done this for me before with no problems. With the gravel and cinders being off the roads finally and the warmer temps I'm getting back into my normal riding style. (I ride more conservatively all winter).

Yesterday I noticed a bad vibration coming from the front wheel starting at about 85mph and gets noticeably worse as my speed increases. By 100mph it's pretty bad.

So I took the wheel back to the shop to have them re-balance, he said it wasn't bad but made it perfect. He said the wheel had a bit of a hop and first thought was the rim. I said it was fine with the old BX023 tire. He then said maybe it's a bad tire? I remounted the wheel and no change.

So do I try some beads, or liquid? Is it possible the tire is bad from new? Has about 200 miles on it.

I'm thinking I'll have to get another tire and try that, if the problem goes away then I will know if it was a bad tire. If not then I will have to look at other possibilities.

The front bearings seem tight and there was no problems with the previous tire.

So try the beads or liquid not?

Thanks, Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-09-2013, 06:49 AM

I would rather change that tire or get it properly inspected. beads and liquids normally should provide the same balance you would have with a manual balance...

Last edited by Purificator; 04-09-2013 at 08:17 AM.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-09-2013, 08:01 AM

Seems to me that if all was ok before the tire change, and now there's a problem after the change, the problem is with the change. Bad tire is the most obvious culprit. I would not try to overcome it with beads, etc. You could switch back to the old tire for a test, to confirm that it's a tire issue, without the expense of a new tire. If confirmed, perhaps the tire vendor will do a replacement. Maybe a local tire dealer would help you out - to try to gain your business.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-09-2013, 06:39 PM

It may not be absolutely round. Happens rarely, but it would cause your problem.

Have a look on both sides where the tire meets the rim. Make sure the beads are evenly seated all of the way around. There's usually a line on the tire to help see this.

10 Duc Streetfighter S (black)
09 Versys
00 KLR
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
USN 1959-65
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-09-2013, 07:04 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Yes, it's probably not properly seated out in the rim.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-10-2013, 11:44 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttpete View Post
It may not be absolutely round. Happens rarely, but it would cause your problem.

Have a look on both sides where the tire meets the rim. Make sure the beads are evenly seated all of the way around. There's usually a line on the tire to help see this.
After I 'seat' the beads I run my finger around the whole tire at the rim, feeling for any differences.... Maybe?

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-12-2013, 01:47 PM

Go out on the highway and stand up on the pegs, look over the windscreen and down on the front tire. You'll probably see it bouncing up and down a little, needs balancing. You may see it wobble side-to-side, then you have a bent wheel.

Good luck
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-12-2013, 01:52 PM

I had a bad wobble in the front of my 2011 too. Didn't matter what speed I was going- the wobble was there. Rebalanced the front, made sure the back was aligned etc. Ultimately it turned out to be a bad bearing up front. Once replaced I've been wobble free, for what it's worth.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-12-2013, 07:33 PM

By "local shop" do you mean the dealer? Did you buy the tire from same?

I'm no diplomat
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

Tire came from Bike Bandit.

Local shop is a Yamaha dealer. I used to race mx and harescrambles for them.

Tire is properly seated and rebalanced.

I can look down the fork while riding, no need to stand. You can see the wheel start to bounce up and down when you get over 90mph.

I'm going to get another tire and replace it and see if that corrects the problem.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 07:57 PM

Jack up the front and spin the tyre by hand. You may have to push the pads into the caliper a bit to get rid of any brake pad drag. Spin the tyre by hand and check for out of round, sideways run out out etc. Probably not beaded correctly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode