First Wreck - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 02:46 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
First Wreck

Hey all,

I regret to inform you all that I just got into my first wreck....and it was bad. I was in San Francisco going through a busy intersection- doing the speed limit of course- when a taxi coming the opposite direction decided to turn left in front of me. I hit him doing 35mph and did a front flip over the cab. Witnesses said I flew over 10ft in the air. I was rushed in an ambulance to the hospital where I learned that I dislocated my shoulder and tore ligaments in my knee. The paramedic said my bike was unrecognizeable, but I haven't seen it yet. I'm grateful to be alive, but I miss my Versys (green of course). Still shooken up...thank god for helmets!!! My lawyer says I should win a lot of money for this case- we'll see!

Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 03:43 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Wow... So you should be fine then, and back on a shiny new Versys in no time? You're out of the hospital already? That's great news from your lawyer. It may be well worth it in the end.
I guess that's what you get for being a sinner.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 05:06 AM

Wow sinner, what a brutal crash. Thank goodness you are okay. Statistically that is a very common kind of accident, as far as motorcycle accidents go: a vehicle turning into the path of a motorcycle. Frankly, intersections are where I am most nervous on my bike. I move around in my lane a lot to make myself more conspicuous and to give my self room for evasive manoevers. Keep healing up. Do you think you'll get back in the saddle or is this it for you and 2 wheels?

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 06:23 AM

Glad to hear you will be OK. We all hope you will get another V and that you get everything you deserve. I hope your knee heals quickly!

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 06:51 AM

The brutal left turner and in a city. I'm a Disciple of Hough - that scenario goes through my mind constantly when riding.

Glad to hear you are ok and the can be replaced. Thanks for sharing your experience.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 07:04 AM

I hope you get alot of money. Last year in the area where I live a guy on a motorcycle got killed on the interstate by an old lady doing an illegal U turn. And get this, the guys wife was right behind him in her car and seen the whole thing. This old lady missed an exit and did a U turn because she was afraid she'd be late for her hair appointment. She killed the guy and I think she just got a slap on the wrist.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 08:44 AM

Sinner, hang in there brother. Thank God your injuries aren't worse.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 09:21 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Good to hear you're OK, sorry to hear about your scoot. Heal fast and get back on the horse!

'08 Versys.. Givi rear rack, JCW trunk and E21's, Givi shield, Madstad bracket, Speedy peg and mirror brackets, lowering kit, SC Seat, R1 Shock.. other stuff. '09 KLX250 setup for singletrack. 2011 Xterra, '80 CJ-7

post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 09:51 AM

Glad to hear you are okay , im assuming you were wearing lots a protective gear? heres to a speedy recovery.

post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 10:51 AM

Heal well, Jeff. Hope you are ready to get back in the saddle again soon.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 11:30 AM

Great to hear your injuries weren't more serious or fatal-heal quickly and get a new bike.

Go for the throat when it comes to suing the moron-get the nastiest, meanest attorney you can find.

I had some one run me off the road last week (forced me on to an empty bike lane, so I was able to stay upright). A pick-up truck moved into my lane, despite me leaning on the horn (not to self, get a louder horn) had my wife with me-which made it much more scary. I got in front of the truck, slowed down, shook my fist, gave her the finger. She tried to overtake, so then put my boot into her passenger door.

My wife said I over reacted and I probably did, but I bet the driver will pay more attention in the future and be more aware of bikes.

Machog

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 11:34 AM

dude good luck with everything... ummm if you get pictures I think we'd all love to see them? that sucks a new green v bits the dust... RIP...

08 Versys 32+k and counting

post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 01:27 PM

Glad to hear that you're in ok shape. The bike, though sad, is replaceable.

post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinner View Post
Hey all,

I regret to inform you all that I just got into my first wreck....and it was bad. I was in San Francisco going through a busy intersection- doing the speed limit of course- when a taxi coming the opposite direction decided to turn left in front of me. I hit him doing 35mph and did a front flip over the cab. Witnesses said I flew over 10ft in the air. I was rushed in an ambulance to the hospital where I learned that I dislocated my shoulder and tore ligaments in my knee. The paramedic said my bike was unrecognizeable, but I haven't seen it yet. I'm grateful to be alive, but I miss my Versys (green of course). Still shooken up...thank God for helmets!!! My lawyer says I should win a lot of money for this case- we'll see!

Jeff
Jeff,
OW! Ow ow ow ow ow! I'm sorry to hear about the terrible loss, but I'm glad to hear you're holding up alright. Amen to the helmets, man, those things are lifesavers.
I hope you heal quickly and everything works out for the best.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 03:32 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys for the kind words. I will definitely post pics when I get them. Everyone keeps asking me if I'm done with riding, but I have to say it's in my blood and I'm sure I'll be back in the saddle in no time. I'm gonna take this cab company for everything they got as taxis are the most dangerous cagers on the road and need to be taught a lesson!
RIP to the V...but I'll be back- thanks guys!
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 05:43 PM

Get a new blue one, maybe that's a safer color. I HOPE!!
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 07:04 PM

Dude after been there done that myself the only thing that matters is that you are ok and don't have long lasting side affects. Kawasaki will make more Versys. Get better and have the Cab company buy you one of each color.
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 07:52 PM
Super Moderator

Glad you're ok! Heal up nice & take it easy.

post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 07:54 PM

San Fran is brutal and you're right, the taxis are the worst. Hope you're healed up soon and take them to the mat to replace your new green Versys. Hope to hear you're riding again soon.

AS to dealing with cage turners in intersections, the Vs has a "flash to pass" button right by your left index finger. Put a finger on that button (and sometimes a thumb on the horn), and look for people edging into the intersections. A quick two or three flash of the high beams is sometimes enough to get their attention, and a horn adds to it if that's not enough. I had a mexican landscaper pulling a trailer *almost* pull out onto the two lane right in front of me but that stopped him. Good thing too, at the speed I was going I might have been able to miss the truck, but that trailer would've killed me.

Cagers just don't see us. They'll be looking right at you and won't see you, but you'd be surprised at how well a flashing light gets their attention. (This is the same concept behind modulating headlights, which aren't legal in all states and usually not at all during night time).

DM
2009 Kawasaki Versys, "Dr Doom"
2009 Suzuki Burgman 650, "StormTrooper"
2003 Suzuki Burgman 400, "Yoda"

post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 09:35 PM

Glad to hear you'll be back in the saddle, you know we need the sinners...And Mac, I didn't know they made attorneys any other way, mean and nasty
Sinner, Let me know when you get your new ride, we can go for a breakin ride I'm just down the road from you in Belmont

If I new what I was doing, I wouldn't still be working
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode