4,000 Miles - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 04:52 PM Thread Starter

4,000 Miles

w00t!

The weather was great today and I left work early. As I was coming back, I hit 4K miles. Fun!

In other news, I'd love to have this (if I had lots of disposable income).

cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 07:09 PM

That is impressive it will interesting to watch the development of that bike. If the range was 300-400 mile and then recharge that would make a great little tourer although camping in the woods might be a problem.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 07:13 PM
Super Moderator

Or even 200 miles. Of course, they would have to drop the price a little...

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 10:02 PM

I get the electric car magazine and Telsa is having enough trouble with makeing just the cars but at least they have some made for their backlog buyers. $100,000 down first and a big waiting list. So far any electric bike can only go about 30-40 miles. They do have electric drag bikes and moto cross and they do pretty good. Kind of like the chevy volt they promise but have no battery developed yet to power it. How can you bait the public if you have no power supply to do what you say yet. All looks good on paper. To their credit the Telsa sports car does really run great and has super power on tap. Think they have a 200-300 range which is more than other and is on battery only. battery packs weight too much right now for the bike-scooters. Hopefully it will someday be reality.

Yamaha Secca II
1600 Classic-sold
08 Verseys
1986 Corvette

Life is not a practice run. Enjoy each and every day.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 10:32 AM

I seem to remember a hydrogen fuel cell bike prototype doing the rounds at Coventry Uni last year which made some pretty outrageous claims to perfromance and economy, but it didn't seem as expensive as $70,000 US

IIRC they claimed one of the biggest problems was trying to generate some noise as they had experienced problems with pedestrians leaping out onto the road in front of the bike

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/6333729.stm

Last edited by healdem; 02-07-2009 at 10:35 AM.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 06:27 PM
Super Moderator

Oh by the way, I hit 4k today on the way home from a nice, leisurely ride through the Texas hill country. What a beautiful ride. I took my camera to grab a few pics so I could rub it in, er, I mean share, but the damned batteries were dead & I didn't check them before I left the house. I took a couple with my phone, but the quality is really bad. Oh well, keep adding the miles & smiles!!

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear on a bicycle View Post
Oh by the way, I hit 4k today on the way home from a nice, leisurely ride through the Texas hill country. What a beautiful ride. I took my camera to grab a few pics so I could rub it in, er, I mean share, but the damned batteries were dead & I didn't check them before I left the house. I took a couple with my phone, but the quality is really bad. Oh well, keep adding the miles & smiles!!
thats disgracefull
its only Sunday, so recharge the camera and go back there immediately, us frost/snow/icebound drivers really really need our noses rubbing in it.
what more justification do you need
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 09:49 AM
Super Moderator

I may just do that...

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 08:18 PM
Super Moderator

Ok, here ya go! Let the rubbing, er I mean sharing commence!!

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ead.php?t=2586

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 08:36 PM

The electric bikes are just like the electric R/C stuff. For twice (or in these vehicles, 4-5X) the money and half the usable duration, you get a quiet-running vehicle that is useless once the batts die.

Lithium batteries generally recharge at a max rate of 1C - one times their capacity in Amp-hours. It takes 1.4X the capacity to bring the batts to a full charge because some of the energy put back into the batt turns into heat or is lost. So if you run the battery at 1C for an hour it's done and needs to be recharged, you're looking at 1:20 or so (min) to recharge. That's great if you are done riding, but it's a pain and there are other factors, like you can't charge a hot lithium battery for risk of thermal runaway and a fire (new ABC cells and some of the other chemistries excepted).

I just don't see that anything that inconvenient or that expensive is going to sell. People need something that can be "refueled" instantly and at a reasonable cost. I don't get the impression a lot of these companies actually have a product that is more than a proof-of-concept waiting on a lot more development in fuel cells or energy storage. And honestly, why not just put a big-ass brushless motor into a 1198?

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode