Almost Nooby... - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 11:47 AM Thread Starter

Almost Nooby...

Greetings! This is my first post here having come over (well not yet..) from a BMW F650CS forum for the past few years (started riding only 4 years ago at the ripe age of 40...)I'm seriously considering the V, and would appreciate (like many others have) your collective well informed opinions...Reasons for considering the change:

-Beemer is a great bike, kinda quirky, like the V, but the V has two cylinders (smoother), a bit more power (without being a crotch rocket), cheaper and more available farkles
-I like new toys as much as the next guy...
-I ride 80% on pavement, but do a fair amount of dirt roads/gravel around the cottage.
-I want something a bit more touring capable in terms of comfort, power, not "hurting" as much at 120-130km/h
-Am getting 70+ mpg (imperial) with the Beemer and the V is (not as good but) considered a high mpg bike.
-Will be passing the Beemer on to my wife after I do some lowering and bar adjustments - have just sold her Vulcan 500 - hoping the Beemer will get her out more frequently!

A few thoughts on what I would do to the V based on sitting on it and reading lots of posts:
-forward sloping seat needs to be fixed. Easy way to raise up the front edge? I've done the foam adding thing to the Beemer seat - better, but still hurts after an hour or so..
-I am 5-11", 180lbs and am a bit of a buffetting freak - I would want the tallest aftermarket screen and maybe the Madstad bracket to "fiddle" with the angle - recommendation on which screen?
-current issue (not serious) is legs too bent - may opt for the peg lowering blocks I saw somewhere. Do you not need to adjust the shifter and brake lever position if you do this?
-ABS? I have it on the Beemer...not sure the cost is worth it..

That's about it for now - not too much encouragement would cause me to commit! Cheers!

Dave
Ottawa, Canada
'02 BMW F650CS (going to the wife)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 03:51 PM

Hi Dave. My wife rode a bmw F 650 a few years back when i rode the GS 1150. We had to lower the front and the back and lower seat for her. Worked just fine and went all over the country. You will like the motor better on the V. I had the 650R Ninja which is the same enging and drive train. Terrific engine is why i traded for the new V but just bought it and the dealer is putting Speedy's lower kit in it for me today. I could get in the low 50 mpg with the 650R so figure this won't be much different. So much more power than the bmw 650 but that was fine for a single. Was a good bike just not enough for me. She loved it. Others here will give you more info until i ride mine some. Check out the forums for anthing you need or do the search. Great bunch of guys here.

Yamaha Secca II
1600 Classic-sold
08 Verseys
1986 Corvette

Life is not a practice run. Enjoy each and every day.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 03:56 PM
Super Moderator

Let me do it this way:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnbud View Post
Greetings! This is my first post here having come over (well not yet..) from a BMW F650CS forum for the past few years (started riding only 4 years ago at the ripe age of 40...)I'm seriously considering the V, and would appreciate (like many others have) your collective well informed opinions...Reasons for considering the change:

-Beemer is a great bike, kinda quirky, like the V, but the V has two cylinders (smoother), a bit more power (without being a crotch rocket), cheaper and more available farkles
-I like new toys as much as the next guy...
-I ride 80% on pavement, but do a fair amount of dirt roads/gravel around the cottage.
-I want something a bit more touring capable in terms of comfort, power, not "hurting" as much at 120-130km/h
-Am getting 70+ mpg (imperial) with the Beemer and the V is (not as good but) considered a high mpg bike.
-Will be passing the Beemer on to my wife after I do some lowering and bar adjustments - have just sold her Vulcan 500 - hoping the Beemer will get her out more frequently!

A few thoughts on what I would do to the V based on sitting on it and reading lots of posts:
-forward sloping seat needs to be fixed. Easy way to raise up the front edge? I've done the foam adding thing to the Beemer seat - better, but still hurts after an hour or so..

Here's an easy way to raise the front:

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...x+washer+front

He also did a complete rework:

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...light=seat+fix

-I am 5-11", 180lbs and am a bit of a buffetting freak - I would want the tallest aftermarket screen and maybe the Madstad bracket to "fiddle" with the angle - recommendation on which screen?

Not sure about the best, but here's a good place to start:

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ght=windscreen

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...earchid=100302

-current issue (not serious) is legs too bent - may opt for the peg lowering blocks I saw somewhere. Do you not need to adjust the shifter and brake lever position if you do this?

Yes. How to:

http://motowerk.com/Documents/Web_Ka...structions.pdf

...and the peg lowering blocks make a nice difference & are well worth the price.

-ABS? I have it on the Beemer...not sure the cost is worth it..

We can't get it in the US, but I would've if I could've, just because I've never had it on a bike...

That's about it for now - not too much encouragement would cause me to commit! Cheers!

Dave
Ottawa, Canada
'02 BMW F650CS (going to the wife)

Right back atcha!!

P.S. I almost forgot the encouragement: Go man go! The Versys is great!(How's that?)

Last edited by Bear on a bicycle; 02-06-2009 at 04:01 PM.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 07:21 AM

Hoover Dam, Bear. Your efficient!

Turnbud - I'm the guy you want to talk to about this. My last bike and also my first bike was the F650Cs! And I also started riding when I was 39! Lot's in common already. And you are Canadian! I new it when you said 'cottage' - right away. I'm not native Canadian but I do live in Canada now. What a great country this is.

Anyway - for the exact same reasons you listed are the ones that I decided to let my BMW go. I loved the bike, I liked that it was different and unusual and it was an easy bike to learn on. The ABS well that was a plus to buy the bike but I only got the system to kick on like 5 times in the two years I owned it and I really had to munch on the brakes to get it to come on. My feelings on ABS are yes, I like it and wouldn't mind having it on the V but I can live without because ABS should only be treated as a last resort, instead proper braking techniques should be learned. I don't miss the ABS the brakes on the V are good and I practice my braking regularly in all conditions.

Although I loved the bike the relationship soured over the years. The transmission was clunky, the oil check procedure was a disaster, the instrumenation was lousy (I could barely tell if my turn signals were on) and the seat was uncomfortable (even with the tall seat and the suspension set to a softer setting). I could go on and on like the buffeting was terrible on the CS and the cost of ownership was freaking outrageous my last service visit cost me $1000.

I worked with my local Kawi dealer and he was patient with me as I went through the process of divorcing my Cs and marrying my Versys. They took the Cs and I rode out with the V and have been very happy every since. The cost of ownership is negligable compared to the Cs and can now spend that money farkling the crap out of my bike which I have done. The V is far more comfortable stock than my Cs ever was. The power and punch is much more fun and the instrumentation is great! And no more stupid freaking dipstick for an oil change procedure! This bike has a site glass (like the GS did).

I'd say go for it - get the V. You'll probably end up getting rid of the Cs and giving your wife another Kawasaki like the Ninja 250, 650r or even the ER6-N. She'd love those bikes.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 03:18 PM Thread Starter

Clearly I have come to the right place! Great input, and Bear, what can I say?

Yep, Canadian, eh? Born and raised. The mercury actually rose above 0C today for the first time since I don't know when. Well, I guess I'm committed now, since I trailered my wife's Vulcan 500 to its new owner today - actually could have ridden - dry highway, but unfortunately the ankle deep slush on the side streets could have been fun...

Yep, time will tell if I regret keeping the CS, but I am quite attached to it, and as for that oil change procedure, I think I have it figured out. Hopefully my wife will take to it (hope I can lower it enough) and I am not faced with trading another bike right away...(this hobby can get pricey, can't it...?)I also have some fairly pricey soft luggage (BMW, bought on Ebay), a Wunderlich "tank" bag (even though the tank is under the seat), and several trial and error windscreens for it...I guess with the V the whole trial and error thing will start again, but hey, isn't that what the fun is all about?

Thanks again lads, and I'l keep you posted.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 05:39 PM
Super Moderator

You can raise the front of the seat by use of several washers, longer bolts, and a piece to bridge between the 2 bolts after several washers are below it, several above. I raised mine about 13mm.
Ed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode