I crash-tested by Hepco-Becker crash bars this morning - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Angry I crash-tested by Hepco-Becker crash bars this morning

I low-sided my 2012 on the way in to work. I was coming around a fun little right-hander and I think I got into the part of the tire that hadn't been scrubbed yet (still almost new with less than 500km on the bike) and the bike just slid out from under me.

Three small scratches on my knee, some skin loss on my right elbow where I landed on it (I guess I should put that armor back in). The worst is that somehow my left thumb got pulled somehow, and is quite sore. I came in to work and got an ice pack from first aid and got my scrapes cleaned and patched. I might have to go home, though, before my thumb swells to the point I can't get my glove back on.

The good news is that the H&B crash bars did their job well. The crash bar got worn down pretty well but it saved all the plastic and the engine case from damage. The right hand guard is a little rashed, but almost not noticeable. The spool I had on the swingarm protected it from damage. My trunk got a bit of rash on the side, too.

Worst damage was to the right footpeg bracket which broke leaving the footpeg hanging. Brake lever is bent, too. Fortunately I don't really need the rear brake and I can rest my foot on the crash bar so the bike is still rideable.

The bottom line is that once I replace the broken bits you would be hard-pressed to even tell the bike had been down.

I'll see if I can upload some pics later.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 12:44 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Yep they saved my bike from a bunch of damage when i got hit by a car. This is what i used to touch ot up. Got it at Wal-Mart... http://www.google.com/shopping/produ...ed=0CE0Q8wIwAA Didn't sand it just hit it once with the paint..

IMG_0751 by weljo2001, on Flickr

IMG_1495 by weljo2001, on Flickr

IMG_1496 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 01:19 PM

I don't really know how much this helps but I have an old wood file I inherited from someone. I use it to rough up the edges of my new tires. Sure takes the shine off and I don't suppose it really hurts the tires.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 01:28 PM

Garage
Never trusted the stock tires when the road was wet. Best thing i did was swap them out for the Michelin PR3's

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Never trusted the stock tires when the road was wet. Best thing i did was swap them out for the Michelin PR3's

Next on my to-do list.

May the road always curve in front of you.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 03:17 PM

Send a message via MSN to brokenhat
Glad both you and bike aren't worse off than you are, imagine if a car was coming at just that time. I would never trust my tires again if that happened, even if it was a fluke my confidence in them would be gone.

Matt
2012 Versys, Vario ws, Barkbuster Storms, lowering blocks, flatfoot, Zumo GPS, Givi soft side bags, Axio tail bag, Wolfman Express tank bag
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 08:23 PM

first of all, I'm glad you are ok and I hope that your left Thumb will heal soon.

I too never ever trusted the stock tires and ordered PR3 to have the piece of mind ...(same for H&B, spools, barkbusters which are the best investment to start with)..

I'm curious though if all brand new tires (including PR3) would have the same behavior before they sit in etc....

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 08:35 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purificator View Post
first of all, I'm glad you are ok and I hope that your left Thumb will heal soon.

I too never ever trusted the stock tires and ordered PR3 to have the piece of mind ...(same for H&B, spools, barkbusters which are the best investment to start with)..

I'm curious though if all brand new tires (including PR3) would have the same behavior before they sit in etc....

My PR3's were fantastic from day one. No scuffing needed...

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 08:51 PM

great!

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 08:58 PM
Banned

Riding at or near the limits of tire adhesion is just that.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-09-2013, 05:59 AM

Garage
Mate of mine (who has used both) reckons PR2's are better than PR3's. I have never tried either.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-09-2013, 12:08 PM

Doh!
Maybe save the spirited cornering for the ride home?
Cold tires plus cold pavement has put a lot of riders on the ground.
Hope the thumb is alright and glad to hear it wasn't worse.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-09-2013, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

Here are a couple photos of the damage. Once I replace the footpeg, bracket, brake lever and the brake cylinder (I am fairly certain the piston rod is bent) the damage is mostly to the crash bar. I will pull it off, clean it up and either re-paint or powder coat it. It will still be visibly affected, but won't look like crap at least.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20130408_092540.jpg (191.6 KB, 1403 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20130408_092547.jpg (183.2 KB, 141 views)
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-09-2013, 01:06 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Is that bike standing upright as cant see any oil in your glass?
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-09-2013, 01:15 PM

Garage
That rear tire looks low to me...What psi are you running?

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-09-2013, 02:48 PM

Hi Weljo, I don't want to highjack this treath but I was wodering the PSI that I should maintain when I have a top case (Givi 450 simply) and a tail bag (nelson rigg 39L)? will that justify the increase to 40 PSI ?

by the way my weight is 97kg

post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-09-2013, 03:05 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purificator View Post
Hi Weljo, I don't want to highjack this treath but I was wodering the PSI that I should maintain when I have a top case (Givi 450 simply) and a tail bag (nelson rigg 39L)? will that justify the increase to 40 PSI ?

by the way my weight is 97kg

I run my PR3's at 38psi rear & 36psi front. Thats with my fat ass plus E-55 topbox. I'm at 8000 miles on the tires and they still look good.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-09-2013, 03:39 PM

Thanks! ... As always!

post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-09-2013, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
I low-sided my 2012 on the way in to work. I was coming around a fun little right-hander and I think I got into the part of the tire that hadn't been scrubbed yet (still almost new with less than 500km on the bike) and the bike just slid out from under me.
Oh, ouch! I would think that the tires would be broken in by 500km (300 miles). Was it really cold out? any sign of sand on the pavement?
I hope your thumb heals.

I've been down twice on my V, both mostly my error. The first time I wasn't paying attention (and riding too fast and not looking at the pavement) and highsided on a right hander after hitting gravel on the pavement. The second was on brand new (zero miles) tires, way overinflated by the dealer, on cold pavement (low 30's F), lowsided on a left turn, under power, just out of my driveway! I took a wire brush to the tires after that, to get the "glaze" off. Then went to a parking lot and scrubbed the tires in by riding tight circles, leaned way over, at moderate to low speeds.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-09-2013, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickAus View Post
Mate of mine (who has used both) reckons PR2's are better than PR3's. I have never tried either.
The 3s are better in the wet because they have more siping. If you're going to ride aggressively, you might consider Pilot Powers.

10 Duc Streetfighter S (black)
09 Versys
00 KLR
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
USN 1959-65
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode