I dropped my bike.. - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 10:40 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I dropped my bike..

2009 brand new. well the round thing at the end of the front bake broke off but I can fix that otherwise no scratches or anything
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 10:49 PM

It'll happen. Hopefully not too often though!
Good to hear that you kept her from getting to banged up, did you black her fall with your body?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 11:23 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fortbethel View Post
2009 brand new. well the round thing at the end of the front bake broke off but I can fix that otherwise no scratches or anything
Just FYI: the "little round thing" is to keep (or reduce the possibility that...) the brake lever from puncturing you in an accident....
Ed

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 06:27 AM Thread Starter

Amir! Hello brother! I'm in Phoenix. We've talked before. It's been awhile. Anyhow it was a soft drop. I'm actually pleased at the minimal damage. I only cut my hand in 1 spot and it's more of a scratch. Cheers
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 07:07 AM

You are now a member of a very large club. Many of us have dropped our bikes...easy enough to do. Mine has a couple of scratches on the right cowling and I decided not to replace it until I thought I had enough experience not to make silly mistakes. I have actually dropped it three times and only did any damage once. Broke the right turn signal, right foot peg and scratched the right cowling. All of it was easy enough to fix...just had to get it in my head that it only has two wheels and really depends on me to hold it up and to make sure I stopped in places where my feet would touch the ground.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!

post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 07:11 AM
Bob

krikey, dropped my V last week... but caught it and laid it down gently before lifting it again.... no damage

Stopped at the shop, busy kicking out my kickstand, notice indicator is still on. Switch off indicator as I'm getting off, not realizing I hadn't kicked out the stand far enough.... Next thing my V starts a slow topple towards me... so I grab closest handle and pillion grab and gently let it down to where it just touches the ground before I started lifting it again. Felt the muscle pain in my back a few hours later only

Biggest damage.... my ego, there was quite a few people in the parking lot

08' Diablo Black Kawasaki Verys
98' 3.0L V6 Colt Rodeo D/C (Engine rebuilt, Body lift, Monroe Shocks, 32" Wrangler MTR's, GME GX300)

Work hard, play harder. --Bob
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 07:53 AM

I've luckily only hurt my ego twice during my riding career,

in a parking lot, manuvering to tight, should have known better....bent rear brake pedal

at a gas pump, pulled up, got distracted by a pretty girl, forgot to put stand down, tried to get off bike......scratched my helmet when my head hit the pump handle as i wrestled to keep the bike upright!

Classy, eh!
________
LovelyWendie

Last edited by furley; 05-14-2011 at 06:10 PM.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 08:02 AM

Did she run over to make sure you were OK?

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!

post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 09:14 AM

i thought it was just me that dropped things! I dropped mine a couple of weeks ago coming to a standstill......it really is too tall for my legs! Since then I've had the seat lowered a bit which should help. Only a tiny scratch on the plastic fairing ...lucky as it fell against a rough limestone wall.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 09:23 AM

I used to own a Honda ST1300 that weighed in over 750 lbs and dropped it twice. Both times were in the garage at a dead stop, but picking that sucker up takes two people and a winch. I sold it after buying the Versys and have laid it over once in the garage and was able to pick it up by myself. The V does everything the ST could do and it's a lot more fun to ride.

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 11:59 AM

We all have this story to tell!!

The most sickening sound is when your walking away from the bike and you hear the kick stand spring up!! Had that happen before!!LOL. My drop on the V was right after I put my bags on, was admiring and when i pushed back into garage(on the WRONG side of the bike!) I forgot about the new xtra width and clipped my truck!! Down she went and all i could do is sorta guide it to a soft landing!! No damage but my ego(whew). At least there wher no witnesses!!

2008 Versys
Muzzy Exhaust-race core!!

Upgraded Kawi Windshield
Madstadd Bracket
Fiamm 132 db low note horn

Osram Hyper 65 h7 lights

Kawi/Givi V35 Bags
Shad SH-29 Top Case
SW-Motech Quick release Brackets
Sw-Motech Alu-Rack
Garmin GPSMap 60csx

Joe Rocket Manta Tankbag-Red
Kawi Tank Protector
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 12:51 PM

just lowered my v with speedys lowering blocks & big foot... cut kick stand per instructions.....is seems that the angle of the k-stand is to upright.. just like the standard....thought maybe cutting the stand might help.....just seems to stand to vertical.....when i park not sure it will be standing whin i return....do u guys feel the same way ???...
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Amir! Hello brother! I'm in Phoenix. We've talked before. It's been awhile. Anyhow it was a soft drop. I'm actually pleased at the minimal damage. I only cut my hand in 1 spot and it's more of a scratch. Cheers
Ah, another AZ V! Let's ride sometime!
Glad to hear the bike and yourself are ok. Needless to say, I've dopped mine a few times myself. I broke the L side front blinker, but... it's all fixed up.

post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 08:28 AM

On some of the bikes - got to watch that kickstand and make sure it's fully engaged before walking away. I dropped my new V just a few days after buying it. Luckily it fell on the coiled up garden hose in my garage. No damage.

I've dropped my bike in front of the spouse - that's always classy and the spouse gets a chance to say, 'I told you so!'
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 09:42 AM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone..

I feel lots less alone. Not 1 of u made fun of it. This is a GR8 & supportive community
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 12:41 PM

I managed to drop mine while I was fitting Speedy's flat foot to the kick stand.

What's much worse it went slowly over on to my wife's convertible BMW and put a small crease in the fender.

No one was looking, but every time someone says ' hey do you know you have a small crease etc' I have to own up to my stupidity.

Zero damage to the V of course-the BMW broke its fall.

Machog

post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 07:35 PM

I can beat that
I used to own a yamaha 125 xvs dragstar cruser, which was in excellent condition, shinny chrome everywhere.

i thought it would be cool to install a remote start from a keyfob.
I installed the system myself and was feeling pretty good when I tried it in my back garden and it started from the fob first time.

That day I drove my bike to the beach front and parked her up with the other bikes, I then went into town to pick up a few things, on my return to the bike there was a gang of bikers outside a cafe sipping on a cup of coffee in the in sun.

I thought I would impress them by starting my bike from 50 feet away,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

The bike was in gear and the bike shot forward into a wall
and then fell onto the floor,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

What a penis I felt

Last edited by pantsdavies; 02-07-2009 at 07:38 PM.
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 08:30 AM

Happens to alot of us... should make one wonder why... So I fixed my side stand by bending the thing farther forward. I flick it out now with no concern of which way the bars are pointed, where its parked or any other such nonsense and never look back.
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 10:38 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I feel lots less alone. Not 1 of u made fun of it. This is a GR8 & supportive community

Well, I started to poke at you a little, but I dropped my bike when I first brought it home too, then my 16 year old son dropped it a week later moving it to get to the mower. A man can't get mad at his son dropping the bike while doing chores.

post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantsdavies View Post
I can beat that...

The bike was in gear and the bike shot forward into a wall
and then fell onto the floor,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
My buddy did that with his Galant, and ended up putting it underneath the rear end of a Jeep!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode