Key Blank - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 02:02 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Key Blank

I'd like to get a couple spare keys made up and don't feel like paying $12 for a key at the stealer. Anyone know the key blank number for a Versys ignition key?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2019 F750GS
2014 R1200RT
2008 Versys (SOLD 11/19)
2003 ST1300ABS (SOLD 5/15)
IBA 59868
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 03:08 PM

Me too. My locksmith can't come up with the right blank. The oem blank is too soft and I'm hoping he can find one and it will be sturdier.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 03:40 PM

The only way round this is to get a short key cut, that any locksmith can provide for a few $$.

It will open the saddle-but not start the bike. You could keep one of the 'real' Kawasaki keys under the saddle-or spring for the real thing from your local Kaw dealer.

I keep my spare in my bike jacket, along with my top box key-I never ride without my jacket even in temps over 100.

Machog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 06:18 PM

My local locksmith is one of those old school, dusty shops that has everything that has ever been made related to locks and safes.

He was able to find a blank from Silca (Italy) that matched. It's a very nice key with a small black molded plastic top, so it even looks OEM - actually better than OEM. The blank number on my key is KW16CP. As I recall, they cost a little more than a regular blank, but not too bad.

Good luck.

Chris in Oneonta, NY
08 Versys that replaced my beloved 07 KLR650

>>>> states on a bike <<<<
>>>> East Coast done <<<<
>>>>> Westward HO! <<<<<

Last edited by DragonBreath; 02-05-2009 at 06:21 PM.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 07:03 PM
Super Moderator

And from the web:

http://www.mysecuritypro.com/kawasakikw16cp-si.aspx

Last edited by onewizard; 10-03-2018 at 04:57 PM.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 07:07 PM

That be the one, Bear. Pretty nice looking key, and the head is more compact than the OEM key.

It looks like the volume discounting is pretty attractive. If someone is going to order some, might consider ordering a chunk of them and then distributing them among the group here. Postage on a few blanks wouldn't be but about a buck.

Chris in Oneonta, NY
08 Versys that replaced my beloved 07 KLR650

>>>> states on a bike <<<<
>>>> East Coast done <<<<
>>>>> Westward HO! <<<<<
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 07:17 PM

BoB, I'll take a couple, the hassle of a lost ignition key can be one of the worst frustrations on the planet.

When a friend of mine got divorced the ex threw away his bike keys. In the end he had to buy a new ignition tumbler, seat release and tool box release to get all 3 keys the same. Think it was a Virago, or maybe an older Kaw.

So my tip for the day don't get divorced, or if you do, snatch the keys before you tell her.

Machog

post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 08:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machog View Post
So my tip for the day don't get divorced, or if you do, snatch the keys before you tell her.
Also write down your key code. Write it on the cover of your owner's manual or on something in your wallet or on a label in your riding jacket. Lose your keys and you can call it in to a Kawi dealer and save yourself the cost of a new ignition set. Divorce cost varies, see your lawyer for details.

Since I raised the topic, let's see about a group buy on this. Some quick math suggests it should probably cost about $5 shipped USPS in the US for two blanks, probably $3 for one. Don't hold me to the number because I don't know about postage or shipping envelopes, but in that ballpark. You'd still have to get them cut to match your original.

Chime in on this thread if you're interested. I'll take a count and if there's enough interest to make it worthwhile (25 keys) I'll do it...for the betterment of the Versys Universe.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2019 F750GS
2014 R1200RT
2008 Versys (SOLD 11/19)
IBA 59868
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 08:38 PM

I'll commit to a blank. Shouldn't be too hard to come up with 25 or more people that want a spare. I'm going to hide one somewhere on the bike. Just don't know where yet.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 08:56 PM

If someones doing a big order, well hell... count me in too.

post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 09:12 PM

I'm in for two blanks... Hell... I might even order em'.

CC

---------------------------------------------------
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 10:02 PM

Look like I just did! 25 keys should arrive on the right coast in a while. If you're interested please send PM and I will keep tally.

I'll be out of the country next week but will be back on the 17th. Will work out total quantities n' stuff when I get back. Any leftovers will likely be FleaBayed.

CC

post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 10:04 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, Carl.
Sign me up for two.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2019 F750GS
2014 R1200RT
2008 Versys (SOLD 11/19)
IBA 59868

Last edited by Bones; 02-10-2009 at 07:48 AM.
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 10:40 PM

Wow, that was fast! Already got a couple replies..

Just thought I should mention I'm not going to be charging 1.54 or whatever for each key. I'd like to do this for free but, having done these things before with small items, I've learned a thing or two. One, is to keep the numbers round.

I'm thinking 2 whole bucks a key plus whatever shipping is (should be between 1.50 and 2.00 for first class and envelope). Although it's not firm yet, you're looking at roughly:

1 key - 4 bucks shipped
2 keys - 6 bucks shipped

Anyway you slice it you're saving money and with the tremendous profits, I'm going to Aruba. See how nicely that works out?

Although I know most motorcyclists are generally good and reasonable folk, there are some super whiny, ultra cheap bastards out there that think people should loose money and time to get them something at fundamentally less than cost.

To these most Scroogeian of Scrooges, I just want to say "HOMEY DON'T PLAY THAT." and smack you upside the head with a loaded sock.

CC

post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 10:53 PM

how do you want the money? do you have pay pal?

08 Versys 32+k and counting

post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipshot View Post
Me too. My locksmith can't come up with the right blank. The oem blank is too soft and I'm hoping he can find one and it will be sturdier.
So I'm not the only one with a bent and twisted OEM key? That's good to know. I've used a lot of WD-40, but that hasn't helped the key. I'm always worried that it will twist off one of these times, so I over baby it.

On these blanks we're speaking of... do they have a lot more backbone than the OEM keys?
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdf38 View Post
how do you want the money? do you have pay pal?
I do have Paypal but believe it sucks.

Instead I have a registered business I started a year ago called Motocyclops and it's how I sell my film which, BTW is screening for the first time in Amsterdam next week at the Himalayan Film Festival.

Motocyclops has a regular credit card transaction process so I'll probably make a page on there. Might even strike up some ghetto deal like, buy a film, get a free key or something of that sort.

The film is no BS. If you have any interest in riding China or the Country at all, it's worth checking out. I should warn you though it's not suitable for people who dislike hospital scenes and believe "real men" ride big bikes.

CC

post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvoelsch View Post
...I've used a lot of WD-40, but that hasn't helped the key....On these blanks we're speaking of... do they have a lot more backbone than the OEM keys?
Don't use WD40. Use either a silicone spray or, if you're really serious, white lithium grease. Neither of them evaporate as easily as WD40 and withstand temperature changes better.

For keys to be compatible, they must be the same physical dimensions. What you're looking for is better metal. Maybe DragonBreath can comment?

CC

post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 11:30 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Carl,
Put me down for two blanks, please.
Cheers,
Ed
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 08:04 AM Thread Starter

If it's 2 for $6, make mine 2. Thanks.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2019 F750GS
2014 R1200RT
2008 Versys (SOLD 11/19)
IBA 59868
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode