Be careful out there guys, and girls... - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 06:19 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Be careful out there guys, and girls...

As riding starts back up in the mid-west and other place stay on your toes. Friday was my birthday and almost my LAST birthday. I was in DOWNTOWN Springfield and a Semi driver decided he wanted the left lane I was in so he just ran me off the road....into oncoming traffic! I was lucky that there was a lull in south bound cars or I wouldn't be writing this. Now he waved at me so he can't say he didn't see me. BUT he's pretty stupid as the company name is plastered all over the trailer it and it's only a couple of miles from my house. The police and I are going to have a little talk with his boss Monday.

I saw this online this morning. again right around the corner from me.

http://www.springfieldnewssun.com/ne...ejected/nXFW4/

Stay safe out there and go home to night please safe and sound.

Time

Or was that look THEN leap?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 650 Versys

Last edited by Time; 04-07-2013 at 07:03 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 06:48 AM

They didn't see him or didn't bother to look?
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 07:15 AM Thread Starter

Can't say, don't know. I do know there's a "Biker Bar" right around the corner and they all hang out there. Not saying who or anyone was drinking.....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 650 Versys

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 07:50 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Wow... Time must be on your side. Monday should be interesting.

The semi driver I was following on the 2-lane highway coming out of town once, twitched a bit right then left, then started riding off to the right onto gravel shoulder. It just kept going further off, onto the shoulder and straight down into the rounded ditch, up the outer bank a bit which pushed it back to the left, and it looked like he was gonna try riding back up onto the road! It just rolled back down back and forth, then slowed to a stop in the bottom of the ditch. Cop station was next up on the left, so I stopped to report it... The trucker had suddenly died of a heart attack.

Last edited by invader; 04-07-2013 at 07:59 AM.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time View Post

Time
You too!!! Glad you rode away from that one! I had similar happen to me when I was 17. It was not a semi, but a pickup. My young dumb self was riding along side the bed of his truck (matching speed) when the car in front of him decided to make a quick right turn into a store lot and instead of braking, the pickup to my right yanked the wheel to the left and forced me over the double yellow. Had there not been a gap, I would have been able to just climb into the bed of his truck. Imagine tapping his rear glass asking him to pull over!
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 08:19 AM

when i drive a ALAWAYS assume that i am invisible to other driver , which means that i am precautious , if you think that they saw your in big trouble
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 08:36 AM

did you file a police report? I have had similar experiences and have found the police unhelpful. I'm glad you are safe. Ride like you are invisible!

I'm no diplomat
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 08:56 AM Thread Starter

I NEVER ride like I'm invisible...I ride like they all see me fine...and Hate my guys and WANT to kill me!

The instructors that taught the MSF course I took years ago were a husband and wife team, you never knew who was playing the crazy one and who was the strait guy.They both said "Ride like they are OUT to get you at all times". Always be willing to give way and always have a "Out" After all you WILL lose in a "Coming Together".

2012 650 Versys
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 09:01 AM
MTS

Ageed! Be careful! Always leave yourself an out!

Have had some awesome spring riding!

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 10:16 AM

Glad to hear that you are okay and rode away from that one. Happy belated birthday!!
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time View Post
As riding starts back up in the mid-west and other place stay on your toes. Friday was my birthday and almost my LAST birthday. I was in DOWNTOWN Springfield and a Semi driver decided he wanted the left lane I was in so he just ran me off the road....into oncoming traffic! I was lucky that there was a lull in south bound cars or I wouldn't be writing this. Now he waved at me so he can't say he didn't see me. BUT he's pretty stupid as the company name is plastered all over the trailer it and it's only a couple of miles from my house. The police and I are going to have a little talk with his boss Monday.

I saw this online this morning. again right around the corner from me.

http://www.springfieldnewssun.com/ne...ejected/nXFW4/

Time
Glad you're ok! ... Regarding the other article you quoted, still can't figure out what motorcyclist in his right mind rides without a helmet!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 03:54 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Kirk View Post
...My young dumb self was riding along side the bed of his truck (matching speed) when the car in front of him decided to make a quick right turn into a store lot and instead of braking, the pickup to my right yanked the wheel to the left and forced me over the double yellow....
I try to NEVER ride beside ANY vehicle, for any longer than it takes to pass it.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
I try to NEVER ride beside ANY vehicle, for any longer than it takes to pass it.

Oh yeah! That lesson was learned 23 years ago! Never ride beside someone unless passing or being passed. Works well for cars too but at least you have a bit more visibility and protection.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 09:46 PM

Had a semi run me (in my cage) off of the road onto the left shoulder of a 2 lane highway. Then when I shot past him he shook his head at me like I was at fault. We had some words at the toll booth.

D-bags aside always remember semis have huge blind spots. Glad your ok! There's some crappy drivers out there !

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Bikes:
65cc Benelli Dynamo
Yamaha ttr-125
Kawasaki KX-125
Yamaha Yz426-f (current)
2010 Kawasaki Versys! (very current and loving it!)
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 10:11 PM

Be Safe

Went out in a group of 6 today to do the "Three Sisters" of the Texas Hill Country......very windy roads. One of our gang must have got caught off guard by one of the twisties and laid his bike down (totaling it).....Guard rail stopped him from going off a cliff. Anyone who's ridden the "Three Sister's" would probably know the turn. He walked away with a bit of road rash and a bruised ego. Helmet was pretty banged up.

Thank you,

Choppastyle

Life is short, a midget told me that.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 10:42 PM

And remember that any driver can happen to die unexpectedly while driving... All the overweight baby boomers are starting to fall like flies.

Last edited by invader; 04-07-2013 at 10:46 PM.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 11:46 PM
MTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
And remember that any driver can happen to die unexpectedly while driving... All the overweight baby boomers are starting to fall like flies.
Invader you crack me up! ( like flies! )

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 12:15 AM

post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 08:55 AM

Lmao
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode