Looking for a new Bike - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-03-2009, 04:50 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Looking for a new Bike

So, I was just about to pull the trigger on a new BMW F 650 GS, the 800 twin. Everything looked great except all these problems that new BMW owners have. Sensor problems, bike cutting out problems, reflash the ECU problems. That makes me nervous on an $11,000 bike. So I read about the Versys and everyone seems to like it. I like a Japanese turn the key and go have fun kind of bike. I would likely trade in a Suzuki V Strom 1000. A great bike itself but it is getting tough to manuver into our 5th wheel trailer under sloped or bumpy condidtions.

Any thought on buying the Versys?
Our motto is eat to ride, ride to eat.
We enjoy the scenery and the food.
I don't need or want 120 hp.

Thanks for any thoughts.

PS Pushing it around lightness is a big deal for me.
Our Suzuki SV 650 feels like a bicycle. Anything near that would br great.

Thanks
Rick Highsmith
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-03-2009, 05:40 PM

it's a great bike. it's light, and I have not had any mechanical nor technical problems with it as of yet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-03-2009, 05:51 PM

+1 It has been a great first bike for me. Everything seems to work well and regular maintenance is a breeze. It is very easy to role around. I just lube the chain and chain the oil...very little other maintenance is required other than the usual periodic maintenance.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-03-2009, 07:40 PM

You can't really say one bike is best or even better for that matter. We all have different tastes in bikes.

I can say that the Versys is as good and fun a bike as I have ever owned, and I have had quite a few.

Kawasaki is a good quality product, good as any and better than some.

I recommend that you get one.

Anybody else think these buffalo wings taste a lot like chicken?

2008 Concours
2008 Versys
Restored 69 Honda Trail 90
Whizzer motorbike
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-03-2009, 08:19 PM

i sold my 1150rt bmw to get the V....never regretted it, very happy
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-03-2009, 09:22 PM

I have them both in the garage. My other half rides the 650 twin GS. We are both happy. The BMW has that ABS option, and it much lower. I would have to admit that in refinement, finish, options, and gas mileage, the BMW excels. But the Versys for value and fun factor is just as worthy. Different beasts and both, I believe, worthy of your hard earned dollars. I would say that the Kawasaki will cost much less to own, and farkles are much cheaper, and neither is better or worse than the other in the dirt.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 07:55 AM

i came off a heavy yamaha vstar....did like the low seating but not the heavy weight and handling.....sold it...looked at all brands looking for that special bike....Bingo lookin on kawa web site there it was....but local dealers sold out....after 3 weeks located one 3 states away 6 hr. drive one way....price $6200 otd ......imo this is the best bike for the $$$$ u can get !!....it's a lot of fun and seems to do everything well !!
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 09:51 AM

KUDZOO is that an 08 or an 09 for $6200?

Last edited by jeepinoutwest; 02-04-2009 at 01:29 PM.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 10:20 AM

+2 on the above...Sold my bimmer S. Wanted something with a more upright seating position, easy handling, reliability and fun....Had it down to the Wee and the V...My new V is the bomb...

If I new what I was doing, I wouldn't still be working
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 11:19 AM

Love my V. +1 on all the above staements.

The issues you need to know about are:
1) The "buzz" from the cowling and gages. Easly fixed with foam pading, lots of info on this fix in this forum.
2) The engine does not sit evenly between the front mounts and may need shimming to prevent a possible frame crack. I shimmed mine .140" on the right side and .072" on the left side while installing my Hepco Becker bars. Also plenty of info on this in these forums.
3) The mirrors don't always stay put, again an easy fix.

Even with these issues, I'm darn glad I'v got this bike. Fun, easy to ride and manuver, does not break the bank, easy DIY oil change, regular gas, and the more I ride it the more I like. Excellent for around town, the twisties, and the 6th gear rocks for the freeway travel. Can't imagine anyone not liking how this bikes rides.

That my 2 cents. pmac
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 04:14 PM

Depends what you use it for. The V is great, but if you want light and easily maneuverable, maybe a DRZ400 might suit you better? It's light as a feather and tonnes of fun. Not as good for longer distances as the V, but better off road.

2007 Versys Black, V35 Bags, H&B Bars, Skidmarx Hugger.Fender Ex., Avon Distanzia, Braided Lines, Hella 65W bulbs Arrow Can, DNA Air filter, GIVI tall screen (for winter), PCIII, Baldwin Saddle. **SOLD**

2011 KTM SM-T. Crash bars, E55 Top Box, Fender extender front and rear.

Last edited by Red Herring; 02-04-2009 at 04:16 PM.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 07:05 PM

It IS MOTY for a reason , ya know.

Last edited by Zammy; 05-03-2013 at 05:13 AM.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 07:54 PM

I almost got the bmw, too..first i thought the f800gs was the one..sucky seat, kinda vibey, more than the V...then the 650 twin seemed perfect...nah. got the V. I miss my sv650 motor, which is better than the v's motor...still not happy with the handlebar vibes on the left side, but I'm working on it. but, like the sv, it's a fun bike, and damn, it puts a smile on my face, so no regrets.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 08:03 PM

jeep......it was a new o8....it was listed on motorcycle trader on line.....got it in sept.08.....i live in n.c.......lowest otd price in my area was $7395....but did not have one !!....one dealer said he could get me one for $8400..otd....i said no thanks.....the dealer in ky was glad to sell & i was glad to buy...he said he sold more 4 wheelers than bikes......he only had one at that time......check cycletrader on line in some parts of the country versys dont sell to well....
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 11:04 PM

'09 $6600 total to dealer, then here we have to pay 5% sales tax, title tax, reg tax and inspection tax all to the communist state. never sure if people include state taxes in OTD price. out the dealer's door is $6600 tax levy to ride on MA streets $439. excise tax comes a couple months after you own the bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode