If I buy I should I........? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-02-2009, 07:56 PM Thread Starter

If I buy I should I........?

I think Im going to get the V. There is a green one at my local dealer.
This will be me first street bike. What are your recommendations on:
1. Lojack?
2. Gap Insurance?
3. Type of insurance to get?
4. Is it better to get luggage as part of the purchase or go aftermarket?
5. What other stuff should I be looking to get them to "throw in?" What should I try for?

Thanks for any input guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-02-2009, 09:34 PM

I think most of the time you do better by getting luggage and aftermarket accessories on your own. There are lots of places on the internet that sell, you can get good deals sometimes on used bits, if you're not picky. Depends on what you want. If you absolutely have to have it color matched and factory, then go with the factory stuff. But you'll usually pay more for it.

Lojack - never had it.
Gap insurance -- nah.
I have Progressive, they gave me a good rate.
Extras thrown in -- probably you'll end up paying more for it than if you buy it on your own. I did get 10% off of some Kawasaki accessories from the dealer, but those are only on genuine Kawasaki parts. Check the prices, some of the aftermarket stuff beat the 10% and then some.

DM
2009 Kawasaki Versys, "Dr Doom"
2009 Suzuki Burgman 650, "StormTrooper"
2003 Suzuki Burgman 400, "Yoda"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-02-2009, 10:27 PM

+1 darcym
There is a lot of stuff out there to sift through. Spend some time checking it out and reading the threads on this site to figure what best for you.
I went with National for insurance, best rate for me, shop insurance as rates vary a lot.

Have fun, ride smart

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-03-2009, 06:49 AM

One thing is a tank protector. The dealer will likely spring for it.

Montani Semper Liberi
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-03-2009, 09:25 AM

Unless you have a bad driving record, any insurance around $370 per year is good. If Gap is higher, shop around. Actually, shop around anyway.

Luggage depends on your usage. There is a ton of luggage info and discussion on this site. I went with SW Motech quick release racks and Givi E21 (small) hard bags. They fit my needs perfectly and I use a tail bag that is removable when necessary.

Good luck and enjoy the Versys.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-03-2009, 10:50 AM

As others have said, hold off on buying any bits for the V, until you've had a chance to put at least a 1000 miles on it.

I always used to go out and spend a bunch on aftermarket bike gear-some was good some didn't always work out.

What cured me, a few years ago, I got a Honda ST1300ABS, spent a load on adding all sorts of crap to it-after owning the bike for a few months, I hated it. Kept for a total of 8 months then sold it-actually did OK with the extras I put on it, but if I'd waited could have saved myself some cash.

Now I've got the V I've spent a year adding stuff and everything I've got on there I like.

Machog
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-03-2009, 12:31 PM

You Should Do This:

Hey bud, I'm a dealer so take this for what it's worth. If you are financing more than 80% of the bike's value DEFINETLY GET GAP!!! I just filled out my 4th Gap claim for customers since 1/1/09. The average claim is about $2000.00. Gap pays for your deductible as well as the amount your primary insurance does not. Believe me, it sucks to pay for something you don't have. As for primary insurance, if you are financing it may be a condition of the loan to carry full coverage. If not, then it is a judgment call on your part. Personally, for about $375.00 per year why wouldn't you? As for freebies, as a dealership we give 10% off of any accessory at the time of purchase & 30 days after, whether it is OEM or not. For the V, I would go with Givi bags from Givi, not OEM. The Givi setup allows you to have both side cases & a top box, OEM does not. You may want to consider extended warranty. Now remember, you have until the end of your first year to decide to purchase additional warranty at the same price. But it has been my experience that if you don't buy it at the time of purchase, you won't. From a value stand point, extended warranty is cheap, about $145.00 per year, & believe me Kawasaki's is by far the best in the industry. I have seen them pay for things they really had obligation to pay for. I had it on my 2008 C-14. One more thing, if you beat your dealer up too much on freebies, & price he won't be very receptive to you if & when service or warranty time comes. Trust me on this one, the customers we take care of the best are those who don't haggle too much. They allow us to make some profit & in return we take extra good care of them. And we are one of five dealerships in the country that won the national service award 2008. Also, I never recommend shopping high & low here & there to try to save a couple of hundred bucks on the price. It simply is not worth it. We daily turn people away who bought out of our market to save a little money. It is simple, a local dealer, if they are worth their salt, will take care of their customer first & best. Hope this helps.

I knew it was going to be a great day when I woke up, because I woke up!!!
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-03-2009, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dFRESHb View Post
I think Im going to get the V. There is a green one at my local dealer.
This will be me first street bike. What are your recommendations on:
1. Lojack?
2. Gap Insurance?
3. Type of insurance to get?
4. Is it better to get luggage as part of the purchase or go aftermarket?
5. What other stuff should I be looking to get them to "throw in?" What should I try for?

Thanks for any input guys
Since you asked...

1. Lojack? Depends on the cost. Keep in mind the value of the bike, along with your need and ability to replace it Just find out what bikes are most frequently stolen, and then park next to one of those.

2. Gap coverage? NO!!!!!!! Having said that, gap insurance may be a good idea if for someone who is financing NECESSARY transportation and has no choice other than paying nothing or little down. For most of us, motorcycles aren't necessary transportation, even if we use them for commuting. Bottom line is to pay cash for toys, or go without until you can pay cash. Pardon the preaching, but you did ask.

3. Type of insurance? Not sure what you mean. Notwithstanding the points I made in Item 2, you'll have to carry full coverage (comp/collision/liability) if you finance. If you pay cash, then decide how much you're willing to pay out of pocket in the event of damage and then decide whether or not to carry comp and/or collision and at what deductibles. FWIW, I carry full coverage with a $1000 deductible, but I'll probably go to liability only within the year.

4. I'm with the crowd on accessories. Ride the bike a bit first, and then zero in on what you want or need to do with it. There are lots of luggage options, and you can always go back to Kawi if you want their stuff.

5. Good question. I'm not great at vehicle negotiation, but if you wait until the deal is basically done, you will then be in a great position to "cram down" some item that you "assume should be part of any decent deal." Maybe a sizable discount on gear or part for "x" period of time, free first service, tall windscreen, etc.

Good luck, and enjoy the scooter.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2008 Versys...still bonding to the bike.
2005 Husaberg FE450E. I LOVE this one.

... dirt bike built for my wife.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-03-2009, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorman View Post
Unless you have a bad driving record, any insurance around $370 per year is good. If Gap is higher, shop around. Actually, shop around anyway.
Gap coverage isn't the regular coverage. It is used to cover the "gap" between the value of the vehicle and the loan balance in the event the vehicle is totalled. In other words, as applies for insurance purposes only, you're never upside down on the note.

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-03-2009, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cajun View Post
... As for freebies, as a dealership we give 10% off of any accessory at the time of purchase & 30 days after, whether it is OEM or not.
I used to think ALL dealers did this, but have since learned otherwise. This seems a good thing to offer, and is definitely "win-win."
Quote:
You may want to consider extended warranty. Now remember, you have until the end of your first year to decide to purchase additional warranty at the same price. But it has been my experience that if you don't buy it at the time of purchase, you won't. From a value stand point, extended warranty is cheap, about $145.00 per year, & believe me Kawasaki's is by far the best in the industry. I have seen them pay for things they really had obligation to pay for. I had it on my 2008 C-14.
I didn't consider an extended warranty. Even if it were free, it would be of marginal value, at least for me. Your dealership may be the exception, but over the years I have unfortunately found dealership service, especially the mega-stores with 2 or more Japanese brands, to be terrible. Because the warranty requires work at a dealership, it's a no go for me.
Quote:
One more thing, if you beat your dealer up too much on freebies, & price he won't be very receptive to you if & when service or warranty time comes. Trust me on this one, the customers we take care of the best are those who don't haggle too much. They allow us to make some profit & in return we take extra good care of them. And we are one of five dealerships in the country that won the national service award 2008.
I shop for the best price, and if I don't get taken care of after the sale because of where I bought, then my service and accessories dollars go elsewhere. I understand your perspective as a dealership employee, but the business that gets my money is the one that offers me the best value. If a dealership won't give me a good price on the bike, has service I don't trust, and/or high prices and limited selection on gear and parts, then I have no reason to even go in the door. Maybe your dealership offers such value.
Quote:
Also, I never recommend shopping high & low here & there to try to save a couple of hundred bucks on the price. It simply is not worth it. We daily turn people away who bought out of our market to save a little money. It is simple, a local dealer, if they are worth their salt, will take care of their customer first & best. Hope this helps.
On the other hand, maybe your dealership doesn't offer such value. Geez, someone who isn't anxious to take my money because he didn't get ALL of it is someone I avoid.

The fact that you "daily turn people away" is one of the reasons that I find an extended warranty unworthy of consideration.

FYI, I'm not launching an assault on you or your dealership. My views are based on my experiences with many dealers over many years, but those experiences have not been with you, and are therefore not directed at you.

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-03-2009, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satex View Post
2. Gap coverage? NO!!!!!!! Having said that, gap insurance may be a good idea if for someone who is financing NECESSARY transportation and has no choice other than paying nothing or little down. For most of us, motorcycles aren't necessary transportation, even if we use them for commuting. Bottom line is to pay cash for toys, or go without until you can pay cash. Pardon the preaching, but you did ask.
Read that quote again. Since you are asking about gap insurance, I am assuming you need to finance most of the purchase price. If you were a local friend considering this, you would have gotten hit in the back of the head three-stooges style several times for even thinking about it.

Gustavo
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-03-2009, 03:44 PM
Super Moderator

+ another for getting GAP insurance.

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-03-2009, 05:43 PM

No offense taken, it's just that most people don't understand about warranty. The dealer makes NOTHING on warranty. We break even at best. The Manu. gives us a giant book with every shop job you can imagine in it. On the side of each job is the time you should complete the job. The time is always shorter than it actually takes. Example, let's say a race bike, a Kaw ZX-10. The book time for a valve adjustment is 2.15 hrs. That will never happen if you do it right. Just taking the plastics off & putting them where they won't get scratched is a 20 min. job. But it's stuff like that. The one shop job you can actually make a decent on is the small stuff like routine service, tire changes, & the like. It's not that I want all of your money, it's just that I'm not going to sell you a bike for $200-$300 over my cost, then be faced with making nothing on warranty work, or never seeing you again. As for accessory business, while we appreciate all sales, the internet has eliminated all but the narrowest of margins. All I'm saying is a dealership like mine prides themselves on going the extra mile for our customers. If something comes up we take care of it, even if it is on our own dime. Most of the multi line big box dealers sell high volume with little profit on each unit, & their service suffers as a result. We operate differently. This much I know, if your local dealer is not doing a good job, call the Manu customer complaint department, they WILL do something about it if the complaint is legitimate.

I knew it was going to be a great day when I woke up, because I woke up!!!
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-03-2009, 10:18 PM Thread Starter

This is really helpful guys thanks
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 07:25 AM

After researching like 25 insurance companies I went with Nationwide. Enjoy your bike
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 08:38 AM

well .. why i'm not living in ur country ...

when i read how much you pay for a full coverage insurance ...
here in france - same in US i suppose - the price depends on ur 'driving bonus' , on your age , location ...

for example, for my new versys (abs, full black 2009 model) i've just ordered yesterday :

cost of the bike : around 10,000 USD
insurance : around 2,000 USD / year ; full coverage (max)
fuel : around 1.3 USD per litre ( 1 US gallon = 3.78 litre)

humm ... where are my calculator ... oh ; just forget it

Last edited by ara80; 02-05-2009 at 08:43 AM. Reason: my english is sooo bad ^^
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode