Cleaning the bike - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-04-2013, 08:23 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Cleaning the bike

So I'm trying to get the break in out of the way and I'm riding the bike any chance i get. Started today with no rain and then it started raining halfway through the ride. I live in the country and all the mud an crap from the tractor tires is on the road and as soon as the rain hit it all turned into a total mess. So now my 3 day old bike looks like ****...literally! It's everywhere.

Just curious how others wash and detail their bikes? Soap and water...I know...just looking for any useful tips or products that might help.

On my old bike I usually just mix up a little dish soap with warm water, lightly mist the bike down and the get in the there and wash, then mist rinse. I know some guys never like to use water and I've seen other guys at the auto wash pressure washing their bikes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-04-2013, 09:50 PM

post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-04-2013, 10:01 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avande View Post
So I'm trying to get the break in out of the way and I'm riding the bike any chance i get. Started today with no rain and then it started raining halfway through the ride. I live in the country and all the mud an crap from the tractor tires is on the road and as soon as the rain hit it all turned into a total mess. So now my 3 day old bike looks like ****...literally! It's everywhere.

Just curious how others wash and detail their bikes? Soap and water...I know...just looking for any useful tips or products that might help.

On my old bike I usually just mix up a little dish soap with warm water, lightly mist the bike down and the get in the there and wash, then mist rinse. I know some guys never like to use water and I've seen other guys at the auto wash pressure washing their bikes.

I normally just wash the bike with a good car wash with a wax added to it. Wet the bike wash down using a soft cloth or wash mit. Rinse and towel dry. I will got to a car wash with the bike. Most car wash places have the psi set around 900. If your still not sure about the car wash then don't get the tip of the wand real close to the bike. I use to work for a company that sell commercial pressure washers. You can take a 3500psi machine down to 90psi just by putting in the correct tip.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-04-2013, 10:10 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Rinse it off first with the water hose.

Last edited by invader; 04-04-2013 at 10:29 PM.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-04-2013, 10:39 PM

You can always try the Lonerockz method: ride at least 100 miles in the rain without stopping. He swears that's the closest his Versys has ever come to getting a bath.

Whitehorse Press is going out of business so it's time for a final sale. Signed copies of my book are now $10 with free shipping in the U.S. while they last.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-05-2013, 01:05 AM
Super Moderator

washing is normal like any car wash, but you will need to get it dried out after wash with a blower or a hot day to keep the rust away. There are points in the Versys that are prone to rust.

I always use a blower to get it dry after wash.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-05-2013, 09:17 AM

Garage
If my bike is real bad I use a hose and car wash soap. You never want to use dish soap. It is designed to clean the grease off dishes, and will remove any wax you have on the bike.

Usually I wash my bike with a airisol can. Spray it on then wipe off with a clean towel. I also wax the bike quite often.

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-05-2013, 09:57 AM

Never ever use dish soap on any vehicle.

Use a concentrated car wash with a wax in it like weljo mentioned and follow Invader's advice of rinsing it off first.

Here is what I do:

1.) Rinse
2.) Wash
3.) Rinse every few minutes, never allowing the soap to dry on the bike (this is done about 3 times per wash)
4.) Dry off with a clean towel
5.) 5 minute ride around my neighborhood to blow out the water that is in all the crannies I can't reach with a towel.
6.) Dry it off again after the short ride
7.) Wipe down with "detailer spray".. it's like a spray on wax that you don't let dry, you just wipe off.

My 2011 still looks brand spanking new (except where I've let her touch the ground.. sniff).

May the road always curve in front of you.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-05-2013, 01:29 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
I use a pressure washer, and a bucket of soapy (car wash soap!) water with a wash-mitt. I spray the chain with WD40 BEFORE and AFTER, and am very careful to NOT spray around the bearing-surfaces at each axle or steering-head, swing-arm pivot, the sides of the chain, or directly at the radiator.

After wetting the bike and spraying any mud off, I wash it down with the soapy mitt, rinse with the pressure washer, then dry with a chamois.

(BTW - ORIGINAL chains on BOTH Vs... 42,800 miles on the AZ one, 21,870 kms on the BC one.)

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-05-2013, 02:15 PM

I take mine to the quarter car wash once or twice a year and that does it for me... I don't detail mine.

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-05-2013, 10:23 PM

Wash using car wash liquid.

Hose rinse - car wash mixture with car wash sponge - hose rinse. Let it sit a while and then go off for a ride for a minute or two. That's all. No waxing, no detailing.

Current : Maroon 2011.
- Fender Extender - Radiator Guard - 19mm Nissin radial master - Nissin 4-pot caliper - SS brake lines - Osram Hyper 65W both low/high beam - LED 30w aux floodlights & 3w DRLs - Rear Hugger - Givi crash guards - Yoshimura TRC Carbon - Dynojet PC5 - Scottoiler - R1 shock with Ohlins 14.2 kg/mm spring - Imitation Givi Windshield - Rear Givi rack with 24ltr Givi top box - Bosch dual tones - Z800 stock mirrors.

Up next :
- Protaper SE ATV Low - PIAA Platinum low
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-06-2013, 01:52 AM Thread Starter

Went and bought some Turtle Wax car wash concentrate and hosed her down and then got in there and washed her up real good.... man that **** got everywhere. Stay off country roads when the farmers are spreading manure...especially if it's raining!
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-06-2013, 11:33 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avande View Post
...Stay off country roads when the farmers are spreading manure...especially if it's raining!
AND - watch for cattle carriers while riding.... You can get TWO sorts of sprays - WET - and WET with lumps...!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 12:26 AM

1. Rinse and spray off the grit with water garden hose
2. Car wash detail (neutral PH)
3. Use different wash pad for different bike parts. Top to the bottom, front to back
4.Wash off before soap gets dry
5. Wipe off dry with microfiber cloth
6. Leave till finish any dripping done.
7. Warm up till fast idle comes to about 1250-1300 rpm.
8. Done and await the next ride.

Waxing does make the muck don't stick easy and easier to clean off.
jefapotomus likes this.

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 08:27 AM

Ride in the rain, park in sun to dry.
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 01:10 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
Ride in the rain, park in sun to dry.

post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 05:09 AM

Motul bike wash. Spray on, leave 3-4 minutes then hose of. No scrubbing at all. Works well on paint, alloy, screen etc. I just use a chamois to dry the paintwork. Brilliant wash the bike in 10 minutes.
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013, 06:48 AM

Garage
Great tips. Thanks for the posts!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013, 07:40 AM

Garage
S100 Total Cycle Cleaner.

http://www.s100.com/s100_tcc.htm

Spray on, hose off. Gets in all the little spots you can't reach by hand and it really works.

Always trust your cape.
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013, 09:05 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
I use motomuck, no rinse just spray on wait and hose off. http://www.motomuck.co.nz/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode