How to be nice to your transmission - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 02:28 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
How to be nice to your transmission

Well, I am kinda wondering, and maybe you folks that have owned dozens of bikes could help me. How do you actually "be nice" to your bikes tranny. These things wind up so much it just seems hard on it to shift at 8000 rpms or whatever. Should you wait for rpms to drop or what? Just a general concern i guess, i wanna make my versys last! aslo, is there any other specail care to take of it? is it bad to run at one rpm for long time even after the break in? ect. ect, if you know anything else please advize! i have only had one other bike so i am kindof new to this... Thanks! Tips please!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 02:46 PM

The beauty of a Japanese bike (I've had German, Japanese and American bikes), follow the break in, then keep the oil changed and enjoy!

2008 BMW R1200RT
2008 Kawasaki Versys
2002 BMW R1150RT
2002 Suzuki VStrom DL1000 (Gone)
2002 Harley FXDWG Wide Glide (Gone)
2002 Harley 883 Sportster (Gone)
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-11-2008, 08:35 AM

The power band on the Versys is between 6000 and 8000 RPM's. In order to really enjoy the performance on this bike that is where she shines. Run a good full synthetic oil, I prefer Amsoil and ride it like you stole it. Ha Ha!!

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 09:13 AM

Unlike the F and N models the versys makes its power all in the mid range ie from 3800 RPM and dropping off at about 8000 RPM. There is the same torque between this range and no use in over revving unless holding a gear for a nearing corner.

The same as any motor vehicle - Smooth equals les stress. A little throttle rev when down shifting will assist the motor to equalize when the clutch is released without any jerking or even compression locking up the rear.

Don't worry if you are minded to baby it then it will last you longer than a VFR750. If you are like me and ride harder then expect to ruin 1000 tyres before the motor. 2 year unlimited km warranty = peace of mind to me.

having said i've that I've 30 or sports and 20 odd dirties all raced and commuted on and never have i treated with the attitude i don't wanna wear this one out too soon.

I always maintain filters and fluids well but RIDE the hell out of them without over revving and have never had one from new with motor or gear box hassles due to my type of normal use. Don't treat it like a baby its a motor bike designed to rev and ride.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode