Stuck Valve - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 07:44 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Stuck Valve

Hey Folks,

I was on a ride to Orlando a few weeks ago. Started with 12,500 or so on the bike and came bake with aroun 13,600. I have a Power Commander on the bike and have set a Zero map to it because of my issue. The issue is that every day at least once each way to work my left cylinder seems to either not fire or a valve is stuck while stopped or riding slow. This weekend I plan on taking of the PC to see if it is the problem. Any one else have this little issue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 08:07 PM
Super Moderator

No, but definitely interested. Keep us posted with your findings...

post #3 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 08:15 PM

born,

Sorry, I don't understand your description of the problem. If the valve was stuck open it would be demolished by the piston travelling up and down. And if it was stuck shut wouldn't that imply damage to the cam? How is the bike even rideable in such circumstances?

post #4 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 09:11 PM Thread Starter

Power Commander then . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt. Versuvius View Post
born,

Sorry, I don't understand your description of the problem. If the valve was stuck open it would be demolished by the piston travelling up and down. And if it was stuck shut wouldn't that imply damage to the cam? How is the bike even rideable in such circumstances?

Darn i should have thought of that. Did I mention I was new to motorcycling?
post #5 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 09:40 PM

Not a valve. Maybe you are not firing on one cylinder, but at 13k that's hard to believe. I would start with looking at your plugs. And plug wires.
post #6 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 10:44 PM

Pull your tank, plug your injector connectors back onto the injectors and see if that makes a difference. If it fixes the issue, something is awry with the PC.

2007 Versys Black, V35 Bags, H&B Bars, Skidmarx Hugger.Fender Ex., Avon Distanzia, Braided Lines, Hella 65W bulbs Arrow Can, DNA Air filter, GIVI tall screen (for winter), PCIII, Baldwin Saddle. **SOLD**

2011 KTM SM-T. Crash bars, E55 Top Box, Fender extender front and rear.
post #7 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

Better day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicken Little View Post
Not a valve. Maybe you are not firing on one cylinder, but at 13k that's hard to believe. I would start with looking at your plugs. And plug wires.

I' ll check the wiring, but I did replace the plugs before my ride. However today went by without issue. Did not even drop the idle speed when I pulled into the drive way. Getting lower mileage though, but that could be to the growing sale of ethanol laced fuel we are getting around here in Alabama. Long live fossil fuel!
post #8 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
Pull your tank, plug your injector connectors back onto the injectors and see if that makes a difference. If it fixes the issue, something is awry with the PC.
Probably going to do that tomorrow anyway. If PC can do this then I don't need it.
post #9 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bornrider View Post
Probably going to do that tomorrow anyway. If PC can do this then I don't need it.
If it's your PC, it's faulty. I think it's exceedingly uncommon, but you never know. It could simply be poor connections too. Make sure it is plugged in properly, and your TPS connection and ground are good. I soldered my connections, as i don't trust those splice ins.

2007 Versys Black, V35 Bags, H&B Bars, Skidmarx Hugger.Fender Ex., Avon Distanzia, Braided Lines, Hella 65W bulbs Arrow Can, DNA Air filter, GIVI tall screen (for winter), PCIII, Baldwin Saddle. **SOLD**

2011 KTM SM-T. Crash bars, E55 Top Box, Fender extender front and rear.
post #10 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 06:36 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

I' ll check the wiring, but I did replace the plugs before my ride.
Was it OK before you changed your spark plugs? Maybe you could check if they are properly torqued, and if your coil over plugs are well installed.
post #11 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 09:20 PM

If your bike is not firing on one cylinder check your grounds. Might be worth a shot.
post #12 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 05:02 PM Thread Starter

Angry Follow up . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
If it's your PC, it's faulty. I think it's exceedingly uncommon, but you never know. It could simply be poor connections too. Make sure it is plugged in properly, and your TPS connection and ground are good. I soldered my connections, as i don't trust those splice ins.
Last night I was irritated with the Family and took it upon myself to pull the tank and remove my beloved PC and ride to work today and see what happened. Well, it still happened. It's not like it happens all the time. Usually it is after I ride for a bit, not sure of distances and then when I come to a stop at light for a few minutes then it feels like the left cylinder stops firing is have a miss fire. I give a little gas maybe get it slowly up 2500 or 3000 RPM and it works fine again. Now I have check plugs, wires, checked for codes and have had no luck. I guess it's dealer time.
post #13 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 06:36 PM

I will be quite interested to hear what the dealer said. I can't remember, did this bike sit awhile? I would guess a faulty FI module at this point, as someone else mentioned. Stumper.

Sea Foam? $2.83 at Pep Boys.

I dunno.

Try parking it with the engine facing East.

I dunno.

Last edited by Chicken Little; 01-30-2009 at 06:39 PM.
post #14 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 07:28 PM Thread Starter

Not sitting a while . .

You Chicken. Nope this bike is steadily used on a daily basis.
post #15 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 06:04 PM

Quote:
You Chicken. Nope this bike is steadily used on a daily basis.

Some other things to check:
-coolant loss or discoloration. {blown head gasket}
-TPS adjustment {too lean...misfire}
-Swap plugs with each other and see if the problem follows the plug.
-Battery voltage, and charging system. May not have enough voltage at idle speeds for a proper FI system function.
-swap brands of fuel. Ethanol fuels SUCK and can vary greatly from station to station. If you got a batch that is heavily laden with ethanol, the bike will run lean, perhaps to the point of mis-fire.
-compression check. Probably not an issue since your problem comes and goes.....but, can't hurt.
post #16 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 06:40 PM

Last night, in a beer induced haze, the battery charge did occur to me. Redline made some very good suggestions. Stick a voltmeter on it and measure idle and 4000 rpm, with the brights on. Last guess.
post #17 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 10:18 PM Thread Starter

Thottle boddy sychronization?

Hey guys. I was making an errand and an old fella pulled next to me and started asking how I liked the V. I was glad to share how much I have enjoyed and mentioned the little problem I am having. He suggested checking the throttle body synchronization, I have a gauge and will net you know what I find in the morning.
post #18 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-01-2009, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Hey guys. I was making an errand and an old fella pulled next to me and started asking how I liked the V. I was glad to share how much I have enjoyed and mentioned the little problem I am having. He suggested checking the throttle body synchronization, I have a gauge and will net you know what I find in the morning.
I would be curious to know if that is the problem. It would be UNUSUAL since your problem is inconsistant.
post #19 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-02-2009, 01:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by redline View Post
I would be curious to know if that is the problem. It would be UNUSUAL since your problem is inconsistant.
Your right. Still does it.
post #20 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-02-2009, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Your right. Still does it.
Don't give up, just appoach the problem with a sequence of "elimination" rounds...and....most importantly.....do not skip the basics. Try another brand of fuel, then the plugs. Do the easiest and less costly things first, document what's going on, and let all the fine members here try to help you find the cure!!!

Last edited by redline; 02-02-2009 at 06:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode