Total Control by Lee Parks - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-30-2013, 01:50 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Total Control by Lee Parks

While driving up to my brother's house to feed his psycho dog I saw a copy of Total Control laying around. I took it home since it was there and it looked like a good form of compensation. I have skimmed the book 2-3 times and read most of the chapters in detail and started practicing items in the book over the past week or so. It may not be break-through material for most people here but I only have 1500 miles under my belt at this point. After really looking at the sections regarding smooth braking/throttle control and body positioning I am able to take some corners twice as fast (low speed) and some corners 50-60% faster (75-80mph sweeping turns). When I first started riding about a month ago I thought it would be impossible to shift my weight off the bike but after some miles and reading I feels like I could dance on the bike. I guess building that comfort level up has helped tremendously.

Applying tips from this book and just reading it in general has giving me a lot of new skills to explore. For anyone who has not worked on their cornering abilities or is a noob like myself I strongly suggest picking it up on amazon, its pretty cheap and well worth the read.

http://www.amazon.com/Total-Control-Performance-Street-Techniques/dp/0760314039/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1364622516&sr=8-3&keywords=total+control
I have read through and watched Kieth Codes material and while it has alot of the same concepts it felt way more oriented for a track day than just getting better at riding to work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-30-2013, 08:31 AM

I'll have to check it out. You can never get enough good advice. I pick up a lot of good stuff from the folks on this forum too. Keep at it before you know you'll have 15,000 miles under your belt..
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-30-2013, 08:51 AM
MTS

+1 Never too much information!

Proficient Motorcycling by David L. Hough is good info also! Thanks for sharing!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-30-2013, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

On a different note I totally got brake checked by a city bus with no brake lights that was hiding 3 deep pot holes in a row... When I notice the gap tightening I eased on the brakes but the pot holes were hidden and I had enough weight transfer off the rear from the first hole to lock up the rear tires. I maintained a skid for about 10 feet or so and stopped about 5 feet short of the bus. The bus must have jammed on the brakes for his stop since we were only going 25 mph... After I saw the traffic clear I pulled up next to him, shook my head and he put his hazards on...so I guess he knew his lights weren't working.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-30-2013, 10:09 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I recommend "total control" by Lee Parks to all new riders. Also "proficient motorcycling" by David Hough and "Street Strategies" by David Hough

My Versys Travels:

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-31-2013, 11:02 PM

Lee is a good guy also, he schools our returning military boys on motorcycle riding. I call it decompression.... Go buy his Awesome Gloves and Book to support the cause.. Lee Parks Designs!!...
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-01-2013, 10:50 PM

Garage
Thanks, I just had it reserved at the library!

Mitch
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zrex1 View Post
Lee is a good guy also, he schools our returning military boys on motorcycle riding. I call it decompression.... Go buy his Awesome Gloves and Book to support the cause.. Lee Parks Designs!!...
That's very cool. I have his book and consider it the Bible of motorcycling. He's an amazing rider.

Deb
CO

So many bikes, so little dinero
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 11:25 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
The book arrived this afternoon and though I've only had a chance to scan it, it looks to be a winner. Great photos and diagrams, and straightforward writing - not to mention amusing (translation: goofy) photos of the author. I hope my aging brain will be able to absorb and retain the info!

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode