how do you handle back pain in long distance trips? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-29-2013, 03:01 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
how do you handle back pain in long distance trips?

hello,

since I'm still getting ready for Europe tour in JUly, I wanted to benefit from your experiences to see how did you manage the back pain/fatigue due to long distance sitting position?

thabks!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-29-2013, 03:06 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Highway Pegs & Advil.....

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-29-2013, 03:09 PM
MTS

I have heard back belts really help. All different kinds. If I was going LD I'd get one.

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-29-2013, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Highway Pegs & Advil.....
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-29-2013, 03:12 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTS View Post
I have heard back belts really help. All different kinds. If I was going LD I'd get one.
Forgot about that i have one for really long rides..http://www.koolbak.com/MotorcycleBelt/Kidney_Belt.html

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-29-2013, 03:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTS View Post
yes I had this in mind (took the idea from my OLD bodybuidling sessions..)...any brand in mind? I wonder if someone managed to get a back rest somehow ...even when using a tail bag
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-29-2013, 03:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Forgot about that i have one for really long rides..http://www.koolbak.com/MotorcycleBelt/Kidney_Belt.html
thanks! you are truly a wikiversys!
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-29-2013, 03:26 PM

For me, Hourly breaks. Get off the bike and walk around a bit (force the skeleton to move into different positions). Keep in mind, a long distance trip for me is 200-300 miles.

If your a pushing the clock for maximum miles, I suspect an Airhawk Seat Cushion (which I have and highly recommend) and a back belt as MTS mentioned would be beneficial.

Last edited by Capn Kirk; 03-29-2013 at 05:27 PM.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-29-2013, 03:27 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purificator View Post
thanks! you are truly a wikiversys!

&

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-29-2013, 04:22 PM

I like to stand up frequently, even though it's illegal to do so around here. This also helps to air out the boys and gives my butt a break. It can be done safely at speed and it's cool to check out the front tire from above.
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-29-2013, 04:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt. Versuvius View Post
I like to stand up frequently, even though it's illegal to do so around here. This also helps to air out the boys and gives my butt a break. It can be done safely at speed and it's cool to check out the front tire from above.
I'm afraid that I will give the boys abd my butt a true break if I do it at highway
but point well taken, good the have several stops and since I'm always nervous about running out of gas...I do stop at each station or whenever my gaz gauge goes below 2/3
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-29-2013, 05:05 PM

Naproxen works better than advil.
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-29-2013, 05:19 PM

Back Pain

Throw a Duffle Bag on the Passenger Seat and use it for a Backrest. I use a North Face Base Camp Duffle bag.

Rox Bar Risers

And Stretch.

Choppastyle

Life is short, a midget told me that.
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-29-2013, 06:44 PM

Takes a very very long time to get my back uncomfortable on the V but when I do, on the highway ill tuck in like I'm riding a super sport for a bit or sit on the passenger part of my low gel seat.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Bikes:
65cc Benelli Dynamo
Yamaha ttr-125
Kawasaki KX-125
Yamaha Yz426-f (current)
2010 Kawasaki Versys! (very current and loving it!)
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-29-2013, 07:33 PM
Banned

There are both ergonomic and physical reasons why people experience back pain when you riding a motorcycle.

Body ergonomics and strength are two huge factors in the reduction of back pain.

Flexibility, strength and proper riding position are crucial for a pain-free ride.

Glad I Don't "feel your pain"
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-29-2013, 07:34 PM

Switch between pegs, highway pegs and passenger pegs.
post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-29-2013, 07:53 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I always wear a kidney belt when I ride.

http://shop.foxhead.com/store/produc...at20046&mode=1

Last edited by invader; 03-29-2013 at 07:57 PM.
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-29-2013, 07:53 PM
MTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Kirk View Post
For me, Hourly breaks. Get off the bike and walk around a bit (force the skeleton to move into different positions). Keep in mind, a long distance trip for me is 200-300 miles.

If your a pushing the clock for maximum miles, I suspect an Airhawk Seat Cushion (which I have and highly recommend) and a back belt as MTS mentioned would be beneficial.
+1 on the Air Hawk! Forgot about that! I never take it off.

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-29-2013, 07:59 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
core exercises, stretching while riding, focus on not slouching, do push ups and cobra stretches on the handlebars while riding the straights.

When riding the curves lean out and move around to keep active.

My Versys Travels:

post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-29-2013, 09:12 PM

Good posture...don't slouch.

Move around in the saddle so your muscles aren't stuck doing one thing for long periods. I push my shoulders forward and back, squeeze my thighs and butt, and extend my head up to stretch out my neck.

If you have highway pegs, use them. If it's safe to do so, put your feet back on the passenger pegs for another way to place your weight on the bike. I have crash bars and rest my legs on them...nice to get my knees unbent.

Take breaks, get off the bike and walk around some. Stretch everything you can while off the bike. If you can, lie down and just relax for a few minutes. Even 5 minutes of complete relaxation is refreshing.

Stay hydrated. Muscle pain can come from being dehydrated. If you're not drinking enough water that you need to stop to pee now and then, you're probably dehydrated.

Take naprox or acetaminophen to reduce inflammation and take the edge off pain, but don't over do it. Your body is causing you pain because you're mistreating it. Better to prevent the cause of pain than to treat symptoms.

Take some long rides before you go on your big trip. Prepare your body for what's coming.

Enjoy the ride.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode