Calling HEAVY Riders - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 07:58 PM Thread Starter

Calling HEAVY Riders

I just found the Versys today and have become very interested in it. I have a question for the heavy riders out there, did you have to modify the suspension for it ride comfortably/confidently? I weight around 375 and accept most motorcycles aren't designed with me in mind. I am just trying to see if I would need both springs and shocks upgraded front and back. I also like to have my feet flat on the ground so I am trying to decide if I would get the bike lowered via suspension at the same time vs. the seat or lowering kit I have seen on the this site.

Any ideas are welcome!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 08:10 PM

Send a message via MSN to joshmedley
unfortunately due to two knee surgeries this year, i have toppled the scales at 290 this year, and have no problems with my bike.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 08:26 PM Thread Starter

Josh, did you have the change the preload at all or have you kept everything the same?

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 09:01 PM

Welcome to the site clt...I'm @ 6'2 / 215 lbs. In my opinion the V is way to stiffly sprung out of the box. I ran the rear shock all the way down and dumped the preload a tad and the damping a bunch (2 turns) on the front. Its much better for me now. So if you should not have any probs...

If I new what I was doing, I wouldn't still be working
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 10:08 PM

When I bought my V I weighed in at 330lbs and I didn't have any problems with it. I did adjust the rear suspension with the stock spring but I didn't actually "respring" either front or rear. I have dropped about 40lbs since then but haven't had the chance to ride since then either. In my humble opinion just buy it and respring if necessary, you won't regret it.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 12:39 AM

Send a message via AIM to andyhewitt3 Send a message via Skype™ to andyhewitt3
I'm 6'3" 350 and I don't have any problems. Its my first bike so I don't have any comparison but I love it. Scraped a peg a few weeks ago, not meaning to, kinda skeered me but it was awesome!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 08:35 AM

I think you will be OK. Maybe you will actually be able to compress the suspension enough to get a smooth ride!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 08:44 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the responses. I am surprised how many have been able to ride the bike stock. I am thinking I will give it a try and see hows it goes. Not having to redue the suspension would sure be nice on the pocket book!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 02:29 PM

I'm a big boy too, and have had no problems with the suspension.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 03:23 PM

Big Guy

I'm 6'3" and 350 lbs plus. I rock my V like it's my job! You will be fine. The bike has an 800 lb payload so don't sweat it. I have my suspension stiffened up; haven't added a new spring but would love to add an Ohlin's system if they ever offer it for the V.

Good luck, just pull the trigger and join the club!
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 03:40 PM

Keep in mind that it also depends on your riding background and what you're used to. If you're coming off the dirt, a KLR, etc., you'll be much more used to soft suspension. If you're coming off a sportbike, you'll be much more used to hard suspension.

I'm 6'1", 320lbs. I've not ridden a V, but when I sat on one the rear sank more than I'd like. I'm used to sport-ish bikes (had both generations of Yamaha's FZ1 and currently have a 2007 Tuono), so I'd probably crank the rear preload up a bit to suit my preference.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 03:57 PM Thread Starter

I am used to sportbike type suspension. Based on the feedback so far I think I am going wait to see how it feels and decide from there. I have a feeling I will need to upgrade the suspension if I want to be aggressive in the turns but since that isn't why I am buying the bike I might be able to cruise around without it.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 06:43 PM

Send a message via MSN to joshmedley
i believe it's on the second to last notch. and it's pretty stiff as stated above.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode