Scorpion Syncs VS. Storms? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

Scorpion Syncs VS. Storms?

Any recomendations regarding the Pirelli Scorpion Syncs VS the Avon Storms? (Yes - I know - Tires AGAIN)

DW

David

I always come back from one of these trips with about 350 pictures of my bike - Ewan McGregor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 10:22 PM

I've got the Pirelli M60's. Haven't on anything worse than a chert road, but I'm

very pleased with the handling on pavement, the lack of noise and vibrationand the

performance on the chert.

Mike..............Sweet Home Alabama
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 10:29 AM

Mike:

Do you have M60s or MT60-Rs? The MT60-R is the only tire I see that fits the V. From what I have been able to read most people love the tire, but the life is a little short.

I hope someone responds on the Avons.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 11:09 AM

Talking

I have storms, and have nothing but good things to say about them. I ride year round, and they have yet to put a foot wrong. They took a while to break in, but once broken in they are very sticky on dry, wet, and even freezing roads. I really like that they warm up very quickly... like several blocks. They seem to be wearing nicely. I have ~2500km on them now, and they are only lightly worn. I will get these again. I do drive almost exclusively on paved roads, and have not really ridden with them off pavement. I liked the high silica content of the tire. Grip Grip Grip!!

2007 Versys Black, V35 Bags, H&B Bars, Skidmarx Hugger.Fender Ex., Avon Distanzia, Braided Lines, Hella 65W bulbs Arrow Can, DNA Air filter, GIVI tall screen (for winter), PCIII, Baldwin Saddle. **SOLD**

2011 KTM SM-T. Crash bars, E55 Top Box, Fender extender front and rear.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 12:10 PM

After looking at the Storm treads I think I need something more aggressive. I'm leaning toward the Pirelli MT60s, but will also look the the Metzeler Tourances and possibly the Michelin Anakees. The new BMW 800GS comes with one of those two tires as stock.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
I have storms, and have nothing but good things to say about them. I ride year round, and they have yet to put a foot wrong. They took a while to break in, but once broken in they are very sticky on dry, wet, and even freezing roads. I really like that they warm up very quickly... like several blocks. They seem to be wearing nicely. I have ~2500km on them now, and they are only lightly worn. I will get these again. I do drive almost exclusively on paved roads, and have not really ridden with them off pavement. I liked the high silica content of the tire. Grip Grip Grip!!
I know what I 'll be getting for this city

Working to make it my Streetfighter
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
V
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 01:36 PM

I intend to install Pirelli Scorpion Syncs on my V. Check out the reviews on Motorcycle Superstore on the Syncs:
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...ront-Tire.aspx
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 10:15 PM

David - I have Syncs on my Versys, but I have not had a set of Storm yet to compare. They work well, better than the stock D221's or the Qualifier that I had in between.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorman
but will also look the the Metzeler Tourances and possibly the Michelin Anakees. The new BMW 800GS comes with one of those two tires as stock.
I thought the 800GS came mostly with Bridgestone BattleWings... In any case, none of those (Tourance, Anakee or BattleWing) comes in Versys sizes, so you'd have to use a 150/70-17 rear with something else in the front.

Gustavo
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 09:31 AM

I rode with a guy on a brand new 800GS and he had Tourance's on it. Maybe he special ordered them. I read on another forum that a guy in Europe bought an 800GS that came with Anakees.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorman View Post
I rode with a guy on a brand new 800GS and he had Tourance's on it. Maybe he special ordered them. I read on another forum that a guy in Europe bought an 800GS that came with Anakees.
It's possible that BMW came to their senses... The bike sat the official intro had BattleWings and and so did the first bikes I saw here on the left coast. BMW was saying that it's a tire that's well suited to the bike, but, IMHO, it's no more a dirt tire than a Sync.

Gustavo
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 07:46 PM Thread Starter

hanksfor the feedback Gustavo, guys. Ordered some Syncs today - should be in and on next week. 7100 miles and the Dunlops are pretty well gone. Hopefully the syncs will be a bit better in the wet too.

David

David

I always come back from one of these trips with about 350 pictures of my bike - Ewan McGregor
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-30-2009, 07:16 PM

Just ordered a set of Scorpion Sync's myself. $250 shipped for the pair from Motorcycle Super Store. They sent me an email with a survey link that netted me $10. So, I took advantage of it.

Any thoughts on yours Davidweed? I'm not really interested in "off road capabilities" as 99.5% of my riding is asphalt.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-30-2009, 09:12 PM

Pirelli Angels

Pirelli has a new tire coming pout called the angel. I ike the look of it!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Angel_demon.jpg (31.2 KB, 66 views)

2008 Versys
Muzzy Exhaust-race core!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Upgraded Kawi Windshield
Madstadd Bracket
Fiamm 132 db low note horn

Osram Hyper 65 h7 lights

Kawi/Givi V35 Bags
Shad SH-29 Top Case
SW-Motech Quick release Brackets
Sw-Motech Alu-Rack
Garmin GPSMap 60csx

Joe Rocket Manta Tankbag-Red
Kawi Tank Protector
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-01-2009, 11:45 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MackDaddy View Post
Just ordered a set of Scorpion Sync's myself. $250 shipped for the pair from Motorcycle Super Store. They sent me an email with a survey link that netted me $10. So, I took advantage of it.

Any thoughts on yours Davidweed? I'm not really interested in "off road capabilities" as 99.5% of my riding is asphalt.

I have really liked them. They seem to warm up quickly, and give much better road feel than the stockers. They are great in the rain and VERY confidence inspiring. I have never ridden on the Storms so i can't relly compare but I am very happy with the Synchs. Though I, too, am 99% road oriented I have tried a few gravel roads and the Snychs are Seriously better the the stockers. Hope that helps.

David

David

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-01-2009, 03:57 PM

Most certainly does David! Thanks much..
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-01-2009, 05:04 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorman View Post
After looking at the Storm treads I think I need something more aggressive. I'm leaning toward the Pirelli MT60s, but will also look the the Metzeler Tourances and possibly the Michelin Anakees. The new BMW 800GS comes with one of those two tires as stock.
I just got home from a BMW bike try-out, and rode the R1200GS and F650GS. Both the F650GS and F800GS bikes were wearing a new (to me, anyway...) Bridgestone Dual Sport tire, called Battlewings. We didn't ride any dirt, but they were OK on pavement. Incidentally, trying the F650GS vindicated my choice of the Versys!!!
Ed

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 05-01-2009 at 05:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode