Any errors on V? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 06:20 AM Thread Starter

Any errors on V?

Hello!
I have been looking at Versys for some time and it has received a lot of good critique in reviews.

Is it really that good?
Is there no errors?

How is the vibrations on the bike?
Gasoline consumption?
Known errors are mm .... ?

Thx for all answers

Edit: I know there is some "bussing" with the plastic vibrate on the bike, but is it "easy" to fix and is there any major errors.
Want to know as mutch i can before i can take one out for a spin and hofully by one.

Last edited by Rille; 01-26-2009 at 06:42 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 07:38 AM

Faults are what individual people perceive rather than something actually wrong with the bike. I have owned one now for almost a year and I really can't find anything to really complain about. Mileage is good, overall finish is good, and there are a lot of farkles already available for such a new model. The seat is always a bone of contention no matter what the kind of bike it is, however I find the stock seat quiet usable. Having a 28" inseam the V was a little tall for me with it's 31.5" seat height. I bought a corbin, but sold it because it was too hard and I'm back to the original seat. I had the stock seat modified by cutting it down some and along with Speedy's lowering link, I'm a happy camper now.

Now for what I've found negative. There has been a swell of opinions about the space between where the top engine mounts go to the frame there and just to be on the safe side I shimmed my with a couple of washers. That's it for me.

I owned a Honda ST1300 when I bought the V and after about 4 months I sold the ST1300 because the V would do everything the ST would do, and do it 300 lbs lighter.

My two sons and I rode the mountains in Colorado for 3 days this past summer and the V handled the twisties and altitude without pause. My sons ride Yamaha super moto's and the V ran with them just fine and out ran them on straightaways.

So........... you can see I'm a happy camper and I have been riding for 45 years and pretty well cut to the chase about motorcycles. I've seen a lot of change, and the V is by far the best overall bike out there. Also, the price is great.

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 09:51 AM

been very happy....did rework the seat, other than that no issues

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 10:00 AM

IMHO, the seat it it's only short coming, and it's not that bad, and easily remedied by raising the front a little. Aside from that is it a GREAT midsized bike!

2007 Versys Black, V35 Bags, H&B Bars, Skidmarx Hugger.Fender Ex., Avon Distanzia, Braided Lines, Hella 65W bulbs Arrow Can, DNA Air filter, GIVI tall screen (for winter), PCIII, Baldwin Saddle. **SOLD**

2011 KTM SM-T. Crash bars, E55 Top Box, Fender extender front and rear.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 10:28 AM

The only things I've heard is that the gearbox can be a bit clunky, and there was somebody extolling the virtues of the SV650 claiming the engine in the Versys and ER-6x had problems, neither of which seems to be backed up by comments elsewhere.

Otherwise I've not heard of anything negative, I know people who have ridden the Versys, but don't have one extolling its virtues. y'd expect those who own the bike to claim it the dogs dangly bits, but not neccessarily people who ride another bike, and have no intention of changing that bike.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 10:47 AM Thread Starter

Is it "rider friendly"?
Im new, just got my MC driver licens, and Im after a good fun and easy riden bike that i can comute to work with, and also take out for a fun spin on weekends. (Why not have fun when you can )
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 10:52 AM

The Versys is very rider friendly and a great first bike. But make no mistake, the bike is fast and will corner and handle great, you just have to get used to riding this specific bike.

I've had dirt bikes, enduros, cruisers and ridden sport bikes all in the past four years, and the Versys is by far the most overall fun and reliable bike I've ridden.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rille View Post
Is it "rider friendly"? ... just got my MC driver licens ...
You should try sitting on a Versys. It is a bit tall, and you should make sure it fits you OK. As a new rider, you may prefer a shorter bike. But if the V fits you, I think you will enjoy it.

-Alan
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 02:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordguy View Post
You should try sitting on a Versys. It is a bit tall, and you should make sure it fits you OK. As a new rider, you may prefer a shorter bike. But if the V fits you, I think you will enjoy it.

-Alan
Been test sitting on quite a few. (thats the only thing one can do right now ).
That its a bit tall, is one of the things i like about it.
Have no problem having my whole feet down.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 02:29 PM

Buy it, you'll like it.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 05:34 PM

The Versys is NOT my favorite bike, out of all I have owned or now own. However, it is the only bike I've ever owned that didn't have at least one problem that absolutely had to be addressed. The Versys has relative strengths and relative weaknesses, but it comes from the factory/dealer ready to go.

For example, I find the suspension to be a relative weakness compared to the rest of the bike. That said, it handles very well under most conditions. Some might want to improve it, but few find it necessary to do so.

The only "must fix" problems are those that relate to comfort, but that is so individual that I can't consider the seat, windscreen, etc. to be weaknesses. There are likely areas to consider modifying, but the same is true for the vast majority of new motorcycles.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2008 Versys...still bonding to the bike.
2005 Husaberg FE450E. I LOVE this one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
... dirt bike built for my wife.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 05:39 PM

Newer to the forum, but have had many bikes in the garage. There has been something irritating and fixable or non-fixable on all of them. For me, the V has already demonstrated an excellent balance between smiles and mild irritation. At this point in my life, that is all I ask of a bike. I can tell I will keep this one for quite some time. Buy it. There are better and there are worse. But it does the most best!
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 08:07 PM

Possible coolant leak on some bikes (discussed at
length elsewhere here), probably easily remedied
under warranty.

Your mileage may vary but I've gotten around 52
or so my first 1100 miles. Depends a lot on how
aggressively you ride and how much you stay in 6th.

Vibration not bad at all, depending on what you're
used to. If you came off a Sportster or similar,
it's smooth. If you're moving up from a Burgman
650, it's a little more. For a newbie, it's probably
not going to be an issue. OTOH I did immediately
add Grip Puppies, more for the feel and warmth.

Buy it.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvaChava View Post
... I did immediately
add Grip Puppies, more for the feel and warmth. ...
For really terrific feel and warmth, I recommend sweater puppies over grip puppies.

2008 Versys...still bonding to the bike.
2005 Husaberg FE450E. I LOVE this one.

... dirt bike built for my wife.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 02:47 PM

versys excellent choice

have run my versys here in the uk since 2007, ive done various trips here in the uk and across the water in europe. I cant really find much in the way of faults with this bike, headlight beam aint the best but this can be remedied if it bothers you. apart from that ( and the well known vibes from the plastic
around the instrument's again easily sorted ) Ive found the versys a top bike good fuel economy, ( you need it here with the price of our gas ) it goes really well it what ever mode you like to ride in. I love to go hooning around the lanes and it will keep up with most anything ( as long as Valentino rossi
aint the pilot ) so yes it is as good as you have heard, But it is really all down to personal choice,, yahooo
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 03:00 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satex View Post
For really terrific feel and warmth, I recommend sweater puppies over grip puppies.

No arguments from me on that!!

post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satex View Post
yeah but they're going to be pressed against your back , what about the front

Working to make it my Streetfighter
V
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 03:37 PM

Rolled over 1000 miles yesterday. The only true complaint I would possibly have is the fuel injection occasional has a odd hiccup. You can be chugging along in 4th or 5th and down shift into what ever gear and as soon as you start to roll back on the throttle it will hiccup and have a slight miss.

One other thing is the shifting can be goofy at times but I am convinced this is a Kawasaki issue. LOL Sometimes the shifting is nice and very positive and other times you shift and you hit a false neutral or it doesn’t shift at all. Never had this problem on my Suzuki’s or Hondas, only four Kawasaki’s I have owned.

ST1300, Versys, SV650S
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 04:46 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gti20vturbo View Post
Rolled over 1000 miles yesterday. The only true complaint I would possibly have is the fuel injection occasional has a odd hiccup. You can be chugging along in 4th or 5th and down shift into what ever gear and as soon as you start to roll back on the throttle it will hiccup and have a slight miss.

One other thing is the shifting can be goofy at times but I am convinced this is a Kawasaki issue. LOL Sometimes the shifting is nice and very positive and other times you shift and you hit a false neutral or it doesn’t shift at all. Never had this problem on my Suzuki’s or Hondas, only four Kawasaki’s I have owned.
Yeah, my gearbox is a little notchy also. I've gotten used to it, though.

post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 07:01 PM

Sweater Puppies?

I have a clue (thanks to xprovince)
but how about a link?

Sweater Puppies???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode